Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First time owning an evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time owning an evo 9

So i bought this evo 9 2006 from a shady company long story short they said it was stock it wasnt stock, i had to replace the t case, wiring issues, and an axle. Im not the best when it comes to cars so i wanted to know whta i should do with this car? should i just replace whats on it with the same parts, get brand new parts, or leave it how it is and just wait for things to go bad. Im not sure what mods are on it and i know its been flashed cause i took it to a dealership to get recalls done and they said they couldn't do one because of it being flashed. Should i just take it to get dynoed or wait till i add parts to it?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:58 AM

I would really appreciate it, if someone were to help me out here with mods and such. Im planning on learning all about the car and getting it to 400hp with 91 octane, but not sure where to start.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Congrats on the purchase but i see some issues were found after the fact. As you have found out, a truly stock EvO is a rare bird for sure

Here is a good sticky to go over which will give you some of the basics

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 12, 2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post some pictures of your engine bay up and we should be able to tell you a bit about what's on the car. Like MinusPrevious stated, a truly stock Evo is incredibly rare and you always want to know as much as you can about the car before you start modifying it.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmills
Post some pictures of your engine bay up and we should be able to tell you a bit about what's on the car. Like MinusPrevious stated, a truly stock Evo is incredibly rare and you always want to know as much as you can about the car before you start modifying it.
yes pics please... also pics of the suspension and although carfaxs don't tell everything on the car, if you get one that would be another point of reference.

and don't forget mileage.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 04:52 PM

Also, there's some pretty handy threads on here regarding where to get started modding your evo. Take a look around!

Example: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-100-time.html
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jmills
If you guys need better pictures I can take more, also my exhaust is a Megan Racing TB.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
THe dealership cant deny a govt recall. Find another dealership and stop telling them you had a tune. Aside from the air filter at first glance it "looks" stock--even if its not. Other good advise above..
Old Dec 15, 2016, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
If your car has been previously tuned I would advise not getting the reflash done by the dealership. I've seen my local dealership nearly brick 2 Evos because for some reason their ECU reflasher or whatever it is they use could not properly upload the new ROM to the ECU. The updated ROM is just an updated factory tune to prevent catalytic converter failures.