Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM'er looking to get into an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Most of our EvO's are under the Takata passenger air bag recall. You will need to find out if that procedure has been done

BTW, The RS is the best model ever produced. One of the only manufactures that developed a base sportscar for the track

Im assuming the airbag just needs to be replaced? Or is the airbag behind the dashboard and the entire dash needs to be pulled to replace it? If so that sucks.

Do me a favor and sell me on the RS! From what I read its 60lbs lighter, not a selling point for me. I don't plan on tracking the car or making it the worlds fastest EVO. It doesn't have HID headlights which I want. It has manual windows which is a PITA on a nice day, not to mention if it starts raining and you have all the windows down. No radio Im fine with, I want to hear my turbo anyway. Why do you say its the best model ever produced? Am I missing something?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by spdtckts
I loved my RS. it was a huge pain, super loud, could hear every road noise, had to pre plan windows up or down, very aggressive feeling, and never got any attention from cops compared to winged versions. comparing my RS to my friends MR, mine felt like it was very brutal and more fun but his car is what i would take to go out of town.

I love the wingless look, I plan on taking the wing off.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolin98
I never cared for the wing myself. I found it to get in the way when looking behind you.

Unless you enjoy cars that are rather annoying and physically abusive cars, stay away from RS but i found it extremely fun, even as a daily.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Im assuming the airbag just needs to be replaced? Or is the airbag behind the dashboard and the entire dash needs to be pulled to replace it? If so that sucks.

Why do you say its the best model ever produced? Am I missing something?
The entire dash has to come out. I have & others have just disconnected the passenger side bag harness. I dread the dealer pulling my dash

Just pulling your leg a bit. Im an RS owner & have tracked it, but its mostly just my weekend pleasure ride. I love the lack of ABS, sound deadening, pwr features & the other bits that were left off.
Its just more of a raw, visceral motoring experience IMO

Heres how it sits today running E85

Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Chances are ill be surfing the classifieds here until I find the right car, I've already been searching for well over a year with no luck. I've found several nice MR's but they weren't white. And I found several nice white Evos but they were the RS model which I'm not interested in due to the manual windows.
Obviously there's a lot of satisfaction with finding the exact one that you want, but again, keep in mind that the kind of Evo that you want is very likely one that a lot of people want, have wanted or can't find. There are a finite amount of Evo VIIIs and IXs, and the car has been out of production for quite some time, so the pool of them is only getting smaller, and their conditions are only deteriorating with time (i.e. age, mileage, wear-and-tear). That's not to say you should give up on finding your ideal Evo, but the whole "Wait and find the right one" sermon might keep you waiting for a long, long time.

It doesn't mean that you won't ever find what you want, but just consider what concessions you'll make so you don't pass up a pretty good Evo for one that you may never find. Or at least maybe not for a price you're willing to pay. Evo owners tend to know what kind of car they have on their hands, in terms of what kind of demand it has and what kind of price it could command.

Im also not trying to drive 500 miles to see a car and find out I don't like it. Im trying to stay within 200 miles.
For sure. But at least considering cars outside of that range will really help you in your search. Again, just see if you can trace the car's history (like if it's a classified you saw on the forums, then you can search that person's post history).

Most of our EvO's are under the Takata passenger air bag recall. You will need to find out if that procedure has been done
But I would assume that even subsequent owners can have Mitsubishi do this, if it hasn't already been done when they take delivery of the car. I thought I read somewhere that some dealerships aren't doing this recall very well, and the dashes sometimes get re-installed with cracks in it, and there are new rattles that weren't there before.

BTW, The RS is the best model ever produced. One of the only manufactures that developed a base sportscar for the track
The RS was a really cool idea, and it's fortunate that Mitsubishi made them, both equipped and priced as the entry-level Evo. It was always odd to me how most other manufacturers made track-focused variants of cars that purposely had far fewer creature comforts but were among the higher-priced trim levels, though they got away with it by giving it more go-fast goodies and higher tuned motors.

At one point, I was considering picking up an RS as a second car, though it was more for the novelty of also having a wingless white one, as it would be really impractical for me at that time (and even now) to have two cars, with both of them being CT9A Evos, since it's not like one would be significantly better for commuting, though it would be cool to have two Evos. I remember when I bought my first Evo IX in February 2006, my parents came with me since I hadn't bought a car before (plus they were going to drive my old car back), and my dad was eyeing a white Evo IX RS and was even thinking of buying one for himself. Part of me wishes he did, since that was when South Coast Mitsubishi was selling all Evos pretty much below invoice to EvoM members, plus my dad generally puts little mileage on his cars, so if he bought it, it would have still been in the garage and probably have less than 30k miles. (His daily driver is a 2005 Toyota Tacoma that has 63k miles, and his other car is a 1998 CLK320 that mostly stays garaged and only comes out for long road trips.)

If I could, I'd like to find either a 2004 Evo RS or a 2006 Evo IX RS.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:19 AM

I never cared for the wing myself. I found it to get in the way when looking behind you.

Unless you enjoy cars that are rather annoying and physically abusive cars, stay away from RS but i found it extremely fun, even as a daily.

My DSM was rather obnoxious. Doesn't really bother me since I wont be daily driving it.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:22 AM

The entire dash has to come out. I have & others have just disconnected the passenger side bag harness. I dread the dealer pulling my dash

Just pulling your leg a bit. Im an RS owner & have tracked it, but its mostly just my weekend pleasure ride. I love the lack of ABS, sound deadening, pwr features & the other bits that were left off.
Its just more of a raw, visceral motoring experience IMO

Heres how it sits today running E85

Don't think I would trust the dealership to remove and install a dashboard either. They always seem to go back in crappy and rattle afterwards.
The ONLY thing that kills the RS for me is no power windows, just don't think I can deal with that haha
BTW nice car, no E85 in my area only 93 pump
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Obviously there's a lot of satisfaction with finding the exact one that you want, but again, keep in mind that the kind of Evo that you want is very likely one that a lot of people want, have wanted or can't find. There are a finite amount of Evo VIIIs and IXs, and the car has been out of production for quite some time, so the pool of them is only getting smaller, and their conditions are only deteriorating with time (i.e. age, mileage, wear-and-tear). That's not to say you should give up on finding your ideal Evo, but the whole "Wait and find the right one" sermon might keep you waiting for a long, long time.

It doesn't mean that you won't ever find what you want, but just consider what concessions you'll make so you don't pass up a pretty good Evo for one that you may never find. Or at least maybe not for a price you're willing to pay. Evo owners tend to know what kind of car they have on their hands, in terms of what kind of demand it has and what kind of price it could command.

For sure. But at least considering cars outside of that range will really help you in your search. Again, just see if you can trace the car's history (like if it's a classified you saw on the forums, then you can search that person's post history).

But I would assume that even subsequent owners can have Mitsubishi do this, if it hasn't already been done when they take delivery of the car. I thought I read somewhere that some dealerships aren't doing this recall very well, and the dashes sometimes get re-installed with cracks in it, and there are new rattles that weren't there before.

The RS was a really cool idea, and it's fortunate that Mitsubishi made them, both equipped and priced as the entry-level Evo. It was always odd to me how most other manufacturers made track-focused variants of cars that purposely had far fewer creature comforts but were among the higher-priced trim levels, though they got away with it by giving it more go-fast goodies and higher tuned motors.

At one point, I was considering picking up an RS as a second car, though it was more for the novelty of also having a wingless white one, as it would be really impractical for me at that time (and even now) to have two cars, with both of them being CT9A Evos, since it's not like one would be significantly better for commuting, though it would be cool to have two Evos. I remember when I bought my first Evo IX in February 2006, my parents came with me since I hadn't bought a car before (plus they were going to drive my old car back), and my dad was eyeing a white Evo IX RS and was even thinking of buying one for himself. Part of me wishes he did, since that was when South Coast Mitsubishi was selling all Evos pretty much below invoice to EvoM members, plus my dad generally puts little mileage on his cars, so if he bought it, it would have still been in the garage and probably have less than 30k miles. (His daily driver is a 2005 Toyota Tacoma that has 63k miles, and his other car is a 1998 CLK320 that mostly stays garaged and only comes out for long road trips.)

If I could, I'd like to find either a 2004 Evo RS or a 2006 Evo IX RS.

Thanks for the input. I haven't been searching for an evo for too long so I still have high hopes to find what I want. But I completely understand what you are saying.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Do me a favor and sell me on the RS! From what I read its 60lbs lighter, not a selling point for me. I don't plan on tracking the car or making it the worlds fastest EVO. It doesn't have HID headlights which I want. It has manual windows which is a PITA on a nice day, not to mention if it starts raining and you have all the windows down. No radio Im fine with, I want to hear my turbo anyway. Why do you say its the best model ever produced? Am I missing something?
I think we're all a little biased toward whichever model we got (assuming that it was by choice and not based on what was available). Personally I always felt that the Evo IX SE was the best, which was what I got the second time around.

Like I said in a previous post, I always liked the RS and thought it was cool, but for me personally, I wouldn't want it to be my only car. I understand cars, but I've never really been a DIY type (aside from minor cosmetic things, like pulling the emblems from the rear trunk and swapping wings, which ended up being more hassle than I expected initially), so the RS wouldn't have been an ideal choice for me unless it were a second car. (I could probably do it, I just generally don't trust myself with the bigger projects.) If you're the DIY type, then you could really make the RS into a decent daily driver. You can always install an audio system (if there isn't one already) as well as an HID kit. (I understand the want for HIDs -- I've owned an Evo IX and IX SE, and the difference between the headlights is huge, and I vowed to never get another car without HIDs, if it has them available.)

The wingless look is cool... I tried it out for around a year when I swapped my trunk for a carbon fiber Do Luck trunk, but when I decided to clay bar my car, I figured I'd do the whole thing, and I had installed the original trunk (as well as a replacement wing, as the original one broke and that is why I went the carbon fiber trunk route) just so everything was detailed equally, and I realized that I missed the look of the wing. Plus the rear end seemed a lot more planted once it went back on.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:49 AM

The one thing that really surprises me is how much the EVO has held its value. I see people selling them for 35k! That's crazy IMO. I'm trying to stick in the 20-25K range. I just might have to open up my color choice to black also. I can always wrap the car in white and it wont look bad with black door jams and engine compartment. I always wished my DSM was white, its one thing I really don't want to be flexible on. Im just going to be patient and wait for the right car to pop up.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Edit: NVM
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:00 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
"This a constant and expensive problem if you live in the salt belt."
I see. The way the comment was worded, it's all Evos. But I see you qualified the statement at the end.

Thanks, already read most of the modding stickies. Basically the same thing as a DSM, only major difference is how you guys tune. I used DSMlink, you guys seems to have a lot more options for tuning.
Open Source is AWESOME. Tons of support and it can do anything you could possibly imagine and even more stuff that you will never use. It's one of the reasons I keep the Evo around. Any other platform I'd pick requires a reasonable amount of cash to install software/hardware. I can never thank the guys enough that have picked apart our ECUs and allowed all of this.

I loved my RS. it was a huge pain, super loud, could hear every road noise, had to pre plan windows up or down, very aggressive feeling, and never got any attention from cops compared to winged versions. comparing my RS to my friends MR, mine felt like it was very brutal and more fun but his car is what i would take to go out of town.
But if you use an RS for what it was mostly intended for, you are gonna add a wing and probably a lot more, anyway. No more stealthiness.

Im assuming the airbag just needs to be replaced? Or is the airbag behind the dashboard and the entire dash needs to be pulled to replace it? If so that sucks.... From what I read its 60lbs lighter, not a selling point for me. I don't plan on tracking the car or making it the worlds fastest EVO. It doesn't have HID headlights which I want. It has manual windows which is a PITA on a nice day, not to mention if it starts raining and you have all the windows down. No radio Im fine with, I want to hear my turbo anyway. Why do you say its the best model ever produced? Am I missing something?
my two cents:
Once the dash comes out once, it forever squeaks, rattles, and vibrates. It's nearly impossible to get it back in the way it was LOL. I knew this was going to happen, but I also didn't want to kill my girlfriend with the airbag.. so.... on the bright side, it's no luxury car and I don't daily mine. It is really noisy, so what's one more? haha (my car is stripped out, noisy, and definitely no longer a commuter).

I too wanted an RS for some time, but decided the weight savings isn't worth it. It's a four door, so having power windows is just something I decided I needed. If it were a coupe, I wouldn't sweat it.

I once did a track day in the rain and the ABS actually helped me avoid a pile up in one of the turns. I honestly panicked (it was over a crest) and a non-ABS car would have gone sliding. I decided, that day to NOT get an RS LOL.

HIDs are cool. I like them and prefer them but wouldn't be too upset if i didn't have 'em. But yeah, I like them hahah. If you don't want a radio, you can do what i did: one small, four channel amp running four speakers. Add a bluetooth dongle to it and run your phone through the car. easy peasy! I have long drives to the track, so the stereo is super important for me.

For those of us that pretty much only track the car, an RS is a really good option. It's stripped of all the stuff you don't need and even has a blank trunk to mount whichever aero you decide to put on.. without having ugly OEM holes to mount (the reason the car comes with no wing). It doesn't make sense to me if you are going to daily the car or want it to have a few creature comforts.

It sounds like you would probably be happy with a GSR? I'd like one as a daily because i really do miss the moonroof, to tell the truth

No matter which you buy you will be happy. They are awesome cars.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:02 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
The one thing that really surprises me is how much the EVO has held its value. I see people selling them for 35k! That's crazy IMO. I'm trying to stick in the 20-25K range. I just might have to open up my color choice to black also. I can always wrap the car in white and it wont look bad with black door jams and engine compartment. I always wished my DSM was white, its one thing I really don't want to be flexible on. Im just going to be patient and wait for the right car to pop up.
There's a ton of them in the $15-18k range, if you don't mind 50Kish miles.

P.S. White is right LOL

Old Dec 28, 2016, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier about the one you really want possibly being an amount you may not want to pay, unless you expand your options.

But like I said before, there's a demand for them. I bought my Evo IX SE brand new in February 2007, and I remember when I went to the dealership to look at the an Evo X GSR around two years later, they offered me something like $23,000 for mine, just around a year old and with somewhere between 15-20k miles. Fast forward years later, and when I went to that same dealership for one of my oil changes (I can't remember when, but it was at maybe around 71k miles, probably toward the end of 2013), the GSM of the dealership said that he could "easily" sell my car for $29-30k by the end of the week, so you figure they'd at least have offered me just as much as before, years and tens of thousands of miles earlier. It helps that mine has always been bone stock and with no issues.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier about the one you really want possibly being an amount you may not want to pay, unless you expand your options.

But like I said before, there's a demand for them. I bought my Evo IX SE brand new in February 2007, and I remember when I went to the dealership to look at the an Evo X GSR around two years later, they offered me something like $23,000 for mine, just around a year old and with somewhere between 15-20k miles. Fast forward years later, and when I went to that same dealership for one of my oil changes (I can't remember when, but it was at maybe around 71k miles, probably toward the end of 2013), the GSM of the dealership said that he could "easily" sell my car for $29-30k by the end of the week, so you figure they'd at least have offered me just as much as before, years and tens of thousands of miles earlier. It helps that mine has always been bone stock and with no issues.
Well one thing I learned from reading on here is that there isn't as many evos out there as I thought. I thought they produced way more than they actually did which explains the demand for them. It actually make me a little more comfortable with purchasing one because it will hold its value unlike my DSM. I had probably one of the cleanest GST's in the country and I would have been lucky to sell it for 10k. So instead I parted it out and made way more money, but it took me almost 3 years to sell everything.

Quick Reply: DSM'er looking to get into an EVO