Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM'er looking to get into an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSM'er looking to get into an EVO

So I parted out my DSM about 4 years ago and I'm getting the itch to toy with another 4g63. I owned my DSM for 14 years so I'm not new to the 4g63 platform although the EVO motor appears to look a lot different. I've been looking for a clean AWD DSM for over a year now and cant seem to find anything I like. I opened up my search to include Evo's.
The problem is that I know NOTHING about Evo's and I'm looking for some guidance on what to look for and what to steer clear of. There seems to be a lot of different models and options.
I'm not flexible on the color, I want white. I prefer OEM HID headlights and I'm not a fan of the RS with manual windows.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'm not an expert, but I think the appearance is mostly the valve cover and the fact that the engine is rotated compared to the DSMs (and earlier Evos).

If you insist on white and HIDs (which is fine, since it's not really a "rare" configuration), unless you find one of the earlier examples where all models had HIDs, you'll have to get either the MR (highest trim level with six-speed and BBS wheels) or the SSL (package that has HIDs, leather interior, sunroof and upgraded audio system). A lot of people tend to like white as well, so there's a slightly higher demand for it than the others.

Other than the obvious suggestions -- i.e. lower mileage, as close to bone stock as possible, as little track use as possible -- if you're looking at ones posted on forums, look up the poster's previous posts to see if they talk about any issues they've had with their car or if they've tracked it. Also look for ones that have been maintained well.
The following users liked this post:
spoolin98 (Dec 28, 2016)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Same engine only better: the balance shaft bearings don't spin, the valve seals don't fail, the exhaust studs don't break and the cranks don't walk. They still have problems with rod bearings.

Having come from a DSM the first thing I noticed about my Evo was the feel of the drive train, it didn't have that glass feeling of the DSM. And, sure enough, it is pretty unbreakable. Early 8's did have some transfer case problems that required new ring and pinion. Probably any car you buy now has that sorted. The 9's have problem hydraulic pumps for the ACD. This is a constant and expensive problem if you live in the salt belt.

The cooling system is so good that any overheating almost has to be a head gasket. The suspension is much more sorted than it was on any DSM. And being a Japanese car the fit and finish is better. The stock radio is so bad I never use it.

Last edited by barneyb; Dec 27, 2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 05:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks for posting up

Heres a good thread that explains a lot of the mods we do to our EvO's. Coming from the 4G63 DSM side, you will be familiar w/most of it

I didnt make this thread, so dont blame the title on me
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

If you have more specific questions, search the forum or just ask
Old Dec 27, 2016, 06:17 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
The 9's have problem hydraulic pumps for the ACD.
Since when? 130k+ on mine. Not a single hiccup.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Just because you haven't had an issue that doesn't mean it is not a weak point. The ACD pumps suffer the same fate as the AYC pumps always did on the JDM cars. Freezing cold weather and corrosion take their toll on the pumps. Many people have suffered AYC/ACD failures all the way from the Evo 4-10.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:16 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferp
Just because you haven't had an issue that doesn't mean it is not a weak point. The ACD pumps suffer the same fate as the AYC pumps always did on the JDM cars. Freezing cold weather and corrosion take their toll on the pumps. Many people have suffered AYC/ACD failures all the way from the Evo 4-10.
It's not just me. I know of nobody that has had a single problem with their ACD pumps. Literally not one person. So you can also say "many people have not suffered AYC/ACD failures". It's misleading for someone to imply they all fail. Especially to a potential, new owner that doesn't know any better.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
"This a constant and expensive problem if you live in the salt belt."
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Same engine only better: the balance shaft bearings don't spin, the valve seals don't fail, the exhaust studs don't break and the cranks don't walk. They still have problems with rod bearings.

Having come from a DSM the first thing I noticed about my Evo was the feel of the drive train, it didn't have that glass feeling of the DSM. And, sure enough, it is pretty unbreakable. Early 8's did have some transfer case problems that required new ring and pinion. Probably any car you buy now has that sorted. The 9's have problem hydraulic pumps for the ACD. This is a constant and expensive problem if you live in the salt belt.

The cooling system is so good that any overheating almost has to be a head gasket. The suspension is much more sorted than it was on any DSM. And being a Japanese car the fit and finish is better. The stock radio is so bad I never use it.
Every motor I ever build I deleted the balance shafts so I never had that issue. As far as crank walk, I actually had my last 6 bolt crank walk due to an ACT 2600. The bearing clearances were checked by my machinist, me, and a fellow engine builder before assembly. IMO, any motor can crank walk, some are just more prone.

I don't plan on driving the car in bad weather or the winter, it's just going to be a summer toy. I have no idea what the ACD is or what it does, still reading up on these cars.

Thanks for the input
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Thanks for posting up

Heres a good thread that explains a lot of the mods we do to our EvO's. Coming from the 4G63 DSM side, you will be familiar w/most of it

I didnt make this thread, so dont blame the title on me
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

If you have more specific questions, search the forum or just ask
Thanks, already read most of the modding stickies. Basically the same thing as a DSM, only major difference is how you guys tune. I used DSMlink, you guys seems to have a lot more options for tuning.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:59 AM

Is there any rust issues on these cars? Hot spots I should look out for when buying one? I know DSM's and VR4's have certain spots to look out for but I haven't read anything yet on the evos.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Currently there is a recall for the K members (subframe). These are known to rust out on Evos that live in humid and/or salty environments. Ask the owner if the recall has been performed or run a VIN check.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
Currently there is a recall for the K members (subframe). These are known to rust out on Evos that live in humid and/or salty environments. Ask the owner if the recall has been performed or run a VIN check.

Thanks for the input, at least that not part of the actual car. Swapping a subframe down the road isn't a deal breaker. Can you think of anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Chances are ill be surfing the classifieds here until I find the right car, I've already been searching for well over a year with no luck. I've found several nice MR's but they weren't white. And I found several nice white Evos but they were the RS model which I'm not interested in due to the manual windows.

Im also not trying to drive 500 miles to see a car and find out I don't like it. Im trying to stay within 200 miles.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolin98
Can you think of anything else I should keep an eye out for?

the RS model which I'm not interested in due to the manual windows
Most of our EvO's are under the Takata passenger air bag recall. You will need to find out if that procedure has been done

BTW, The RS is the best model ever produced. One of the only manufactures that developed a base sportscar for the track
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved my RS. it was a huge pain, super loud, could hear every road noise, had to pre plan windows up or down, very aggressive feeling, and never got any attention from cops compared to winged versions. comparing my RS to my friends MR, mine felt like it was very brutal and more fun but his car is what i would take to go out of town.

Quick Reply: DSM'er looking to get into an EVO