Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM'er looking to get into an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a pic of my parted out DSM
Attached Thumbnails DSM'er looking to get into an EVO-img_1879.jpg  
Old Dec 28, 2016, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I had a 1st gen 6-4 combo but I always loved the look of the 2nd gen.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolin98
Well one thing I learned from reading on here is that there isn't as many evos out there as I thought. I thought they produced way more than they actually did which explains the demand for them. It actually make me a little more comfortable with purchasing one because it will hold its value unlike my DSM. I had probably one of the cleanest GST's in the country and I would have been lucky to sell it for 10k. So instead I parted it out and made way more money, but it took me almost 3 years to sell everything.
It looks like there are just over 21,000 CT9A Evos (VIIIs and IXs) that made it to our shores for the 2003-2006 model years. They generally do hold their value, unless it's one in bad shape.

I could be wrong, but to my recollection, the turbocharged 2G Eclipses held their value pretty well, particularly the GSXs. Even before The Fast and the Furious came out, I remember people liking the Eclipses not just for how they looked, but also for the factory turbos that you could just crank up the boost on with a boost controller. But its starting price was a little higher than most other compacts at that time.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I had a 1st gen 6-4 combo but I always loved the look of the 2nd gen.

Nice, I owned a 1g TSI AWD panda 6/4 combo and my 2g GST had a 6 bolt swap in it. I loved the look of my 2g, sometimes I regret parting it out but then again FWD sucks. I had a fully built Shep trans, DSS axles, drag radials, ACT 2600, quaife LSD, and all I did was spin the tires. I will never build a FWD again...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
It looks like there are just over 21,000 CT9A Evos (VIIIs and IXs) that made it to our shores for the 2003-2006 model years. They generally do hold their value, unless it's one in bad shape.

I could be wrong, but to my recollection, the turbocharged 2G Eclipses held their value pretty well, particularly the GSXs. Even before The Fast and the Furious came out, I remember people liking the Eclipses not just for how they looked, but also for the factory turbos that you could just crank up the boost on with a boost controller. But its starting price was a little higher than most other compacts at that time.

Well yeah people loved the 2g for the looks but not the turbos. The stock t25 that came on the 2g's were garbage, most people swapped them out for a 14b out of a 1g for a cheap upgrade.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Well yeah people loved the 2g for the looks but not the turbos. The stock t25 that came on the 2g's were garbage, most people swapped them out for a 14b out of a 1g for a cheap upgrade.
I didn't say it was a great turbo, but it didn't take a lot for it to do high 13s.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

and all I did was spin the tires. I will never build a FWD again...
This brings back the memories. When the 2nd gens were out my wife and I stopped by the dealership to see one. It was in the showroom and we were impressed by how much deeper the hatch was. It was only later I figured out we were looking at a FWD. When DSMs started showing up on used car lots, if FWD, the front tires would be bald while the rears looked nearly new. Apparently no one rotated tires.

One day I had the hood off my wife's summer ride replacing a brake booster, when she returned in the DSM and the garage filled with the odor of burnt clutch. I said, "What have you been doing?" She admitted she'd raced a guy on the highway and beat him. My next job was replacing the clutch.

My wife and her sister were both diabetics and both started having heart problems at an early age. It took them both. But while ill the AWD DSM was my wife's winter ride since she wasn't able to scoop out a stuck car. That car saw a lot of snow but was never stuck. So, it was more than a toy, it served us well.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
This brings back the memories. When the 2nd gens were out my wife and I stopped by the dealership to see one. It was in the showroom and we were impressed by how much deeper the hatch was. It was only later I figured out we were looking at a FWD. When DSMs started showing up on used car lots, if FWD, the front tires would be bald while the rears looked nearly new. Apparently no one rotated tires.

One day I had the hood off my wife's summer ride replacing a brake booster, when she returned in the DSM and the garage filled with the odor of burnt clutch. I said, "What have you been doing?" She admitted she'd raced a guy on the highway and beat him. My next job was replacing the clutch.

My wife and her sister were both diabetics and both started having heart problems at an early age. It took them both. But while ill the AWD DSM was my wife's winter ride since she wasn't able to scoop out a stuck car. That car saw a lot of snow but was never stuck. So, it was more than a toy, it served us well.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, must have been horrible to deal with.

My 1g awd was great In the snow, nothing could stop it.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Nice, I owned a 1g TSI AWD panda 6/4 combo and my 2g GST had a 6 bolt swap in it. I loved the look of my 2g, sometimes I regret parting it out but then again FWD sucks. I had a fully built Shep trans, DSS axles, drag radials, ACT 2600, quaife LSD, and all I did was spin the tires. I will never build a FWD again...
Try a 500+whp Civic on 225 DRs because you wanted to see how fast you could go on street tires. LOL. The challenge and surprised looks on domestic owners' faces was the only fun part. That all got old, once I discovered road racing.

As for the other posts, the eclipse holds its value okay because a lot of us think they are still beautiful cars. The GSX seems to do particularly well. Neither of those will ever hold a candle to the performance or resale on an Evo. You can't go wrong buying a supra, evolution, FD, or S2000.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, must have been horrible to deal with.
I didn't want this to be about my deceased wife except to say what a service our DSM was to us. But as for horrible, its incredible but actually we had good times right to the end. Before she died she wanted an Evo - really. Mitsu had just started selling the 8 in the USA and she was reading up on it on the internet. Her summer drive was a Trans Am so it wasn't like she didn't have wheels. Later, I bought one. Well the Evo is just a better (although less stylish) DSM. I enjoy every time I drive it.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:19 PM

Is this overpriced?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5750/overview/
It looks stock, but appears to have some aftermarket gauges which makes me think someone might have reverted back to stock before getting rid of it.
I'm still not sold on getting another color besides white, but this one looks like a possibility.
30k seems a bit steep but I'm not sure.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
If you can get there to see it with your own eyes and test drive, do it. It's too tough to tell how much it has been modified, but it looks like it has been at least a little modified.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people go through the trouble of putting on gauges if stock. It looks like it's in good shape though.

Out of curiosity, are there colors that you DON'T want? I feel like most people who are pretty set on white tend to not want black.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 01:00 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
In general, black is just hard to keep shiny. It shows swirl marks like no other and also shows every spec if dust. Red and silver don't stand up to UV light very well and tend to oxidize before other colors unless really taken care of.
maybe all that is why I like white cars lol

19k miles is nice. $30k? Not for me, but everyone has their price. And I definitely wouldn't over pay for a color I don't want. Hard to tell if the car was modded without being there to inspect nuts and bolts.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, my first car was black, because I insisted on it. Never did it again, with how much of a pain in the *** it was to keep clean. Later went white, silver and two gray cars after that.

Quick Reply: DSM'er looking to get into an EVO