Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to buy or not to buy

hello all,

I am looking at getting a family car that I can have a little bit of fun in to replace my 5th gen Camaro SS(stupid me bought the car 2 months before finding out my wife was 4months pregnant), I tried making it work but I'm at a point now where I really need a 4 door and I have come to the conclusion that an evo would fit the bill of fun family car at a price I can afford(dream family car is a CTS-V Wagon)

I am looking at a 05 evo viii gsr with 155k miles on it, what should I look out for outside of unusual noises, worn timing belt, ect.? any common issues I should be on the look out for?

I am not new to Mitsubishi cars, I own a 98 GST Spyder Eclipse that's sitting on stands for 3 years now cause of a bad torque converter and misc motor issues I haven't been able to track down when I had time(I have had no time to do much of anything since I have a 9month old)

should I just avoid this car all together? the cost of the car is 16k and my biggest concern is that ill need a new motor in the car and I really want to avoid having 2 cars on stands

I do plan on modifying this car as I have modified my Camaro SS(bolt ons and a tune) but I don't want to go crazy, bolt ons+meth and a tune is about the limit of what I want(no E85 where I live plus I have a meth kit sitting around I want to use)

outside of common issues though how is the car for family use? should I consider something else or is the evo a good choice? is the car reliable? how is its reliability compared to DSM(which I know is awful)?

thanks everyone for any help you can offer
Old Jan 24, 2017, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
It seems there are new threads like this that pop up every 2 or 3 days in here. Feel free to follow the link below. It was started just two days ago and there are people chiming in that thread. Best of luck on your search.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ream-cars.html
The following users liked this post:
luigi90210 (Jan 24, 2017)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
It seems there are new threads like this that pop up every 2 or 3 days in here. Feel free to follow the link below. It was started just two days ago and there are people chiming in that thread. Best of luck on your search.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ream-cars.html
thanks, I was actually just watching that video posted in the other thread
Old Jan 25, 2017, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
in AU I have never seen an Evo used as a family car, like the wife taking the kids to school type thing or going on holidays in it, over hear you would see a SUV or a camry for that type of use, but I guess in the States you guys like your performance cars for anything. Look for something as original as can be and low miles, don't get the first one you see.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
in AU I have never seen an Evo used as a family car, like the wife taking the kids to school type thing or going on holidays in it, over hear you would see a SUV or a camry for that type of use, but I guess in the States you guys like your performance cars for anything. Look for something as original as can be and low miles, don't get the first one you see.
This is a perfect family car. Four doors, plenty of trunk space, reliability, etc.

OP, check the history of the vehicle and make sure you do a compression test! It is there that you'll find out how healthy the motor is. Good luck and congrats on the kid
Old Jan 25, 2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by evostanman
This is a perfect family car. Four doors, plenty of trunk space, reliability, etc.

OP, check the history of the vehicle and make sure you do a compression test! It is there that you'll find out how healthy the motor is. Good luck and congrats on the kid
thank you, so the history of one of the evos I'm looking at shows one accident but it isn't salvaged, dealer didn't mention anything about it though in their ad and its priced a little high(20k for an 06 with 77k and its very visibly modified in their photos with an intake, exhaust and intercooler) should I just avoid it or should I try to talk them down

I'm in a position where I need to buy from a dealer, private party is out of the question
Old Jan 25, 2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by luigi90210
thank you, so the history of one of the evos I'm looking at shows one accident but it isn't salvaged, dealer didn't mention anything about it though in their ad and its priced a little high(20k for an 06 with 77k and its very visibly modified in their photos with an intake, exhaust and intercooler) should I just avoid it or should I try to talk them down

I'm in a position where I need to buy from a dealer, private party is out of the question
Why is buying from a private party out of the question. Ive known banks to give loans for private sellers
Old Jan 25, 2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by HawkinCrazy
Why is buying from a private party out of the question. Ive known banks to give loans for private sellers
there are no private sellers in my area funny enough(actually only one and he is selling a decked out 500whp+ evo 8 and wants like 25k for it which is not a car I'm in the market for) outside of 75 miles from me and idk how many banks that will take a car in with a negative that needs to be rolled over(its not much but its enough that I don't have the cash to bring in right away and its easier for me to roll it into the new loan)
Old Jan 25, 2017, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in San Diego as well looking for an Evo 8/9. What dealership is that Evo with 77k miles going for 20k at? I saw an Evo 8 for sale at a Buick dealer in San Diego.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by luigi90210

I understand.
I say keep this one in the back of your head and keep looking for other ones. If these are in dealers, demand that they do a compression test prior to anything! Ask for carfax.

Originally Posted by HawkinCrazy
Every state is different. Some banks here in Cali are really hard to deal with.