Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone setup an 03 EVO VIII with OBD2 Bluetooth & Android Tablet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 02:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Anyone setup an 03 EVO VIII with OBD2 Bluetooth & Android Tablet?

Hey all,

Not really finding much to support if this is viable or not on the older 2003 VIII models. I want to setup the torque app on an android tablet connected via bluetooth obd2 to the ecu.

Anyone successfully done it on an 03 evo viii and able to share their experience with it?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
are you talking about installing a tablet in place of a stereo?

https://www.google.com/search?q=andr...evolutionm.net
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

if you're talking about simply using a bluetooth device and the torque app then my apologies for misunderstanding. I have that setup and use it any time I need to check a code, clear it, etc. Nothing permanently installed in my dash
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo.matt
are you talking about installing a tablet in place of a stereo?
I could be wrong but I think he might want to look at his data in real time through a wireless (bluetooth) connection and/or mount the tablet into the dash if he so desired.

I'm interested to see it be done as that would be a cool gadget to have without the hassle of a cord.

I imagine a windows tablet with your desired tuning software could do the same thing, possibly a little easier than an android but correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Just seen your reply. Can you elaborate on how you set it up?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

of course, I have this OBD2
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486431230&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+obd2 https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486431230&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+obd2

and the torque App on my Galaxy S6. Connect your phone or device just like any other BT device and open the torque app. Works really great, no complaints here
Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo.matt
of course, I have this OBD2 https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...bluetooth+obd2

and the torque App on my Galaxy S6. Connect your phone or device just like any other BT device and open the torque app. Works really great, no complaints here
That seems simple enough! Have you attempted any tuning or downloading of ROMs through the bluetooth device and say a laptop? I'm curious to know if it would affect it in anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DecBro
That seems simple enough! Have you attempted any tuning or downloading of ROMs through the bluetooth device and say a laptop? I'm curious to know if it would affect it in anyway.
You can't use the Bluetooth device to pull Roms or flash, still need a tactrix for that. The torque app is pretty interesting though, has a lot of features and can read the car data live.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 06:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The main problem is, you cant get any particularly useful data through OBDII. The best approach would be to get a windows tablet and run evoscan on it. I have tried this, but the tablet I bought wasn't upto the task and logged very slowly, so make sure you get a decent tablet if you are going to try it.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

Reason for this post was I met a tuner last week who had his android tablet mounted onto his dash in front of the clock with various readings from his ecu in real time. he had it connected via usb but said he used an aftermarket ecu, which got me thinking, wonder how easy it would be to do the same thing with a stock ecu instead.

Looks like some guys use Torque app and connect either via bluetooth obd2, wireless or via usb. seems usb provides the least lag.

Just need to figure out what i can successfully monitor via the torque app, as it would be good to see knock, afr etc etc to ensure the motor is healthy at all times...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 06:42 PM

This is probably what you would want, but Hamish has kind of disappeared and none have been available to buy in a long time. You can basically do the same thing though with a windows tablet, evoscan, and a tactrix cable.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...review-88.html
Old Feb 7, 2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by gotblkr
Thanks for the replies guys!

Reason for this post was I met a tuner last week who had his android tablet mounted onto his dash in front of the clock with various readings from his ecu in real time. he had it connected via usb but said he used an aftermarket ecu, which got me thinking, wonder how easy it would be to do the same thing with a stock ecu instead.

Looks like some guys use Torque app and connect either via bluetooth obd2, wireless or via usb. seems usb provides the least lag.

Just need to figure out what i can successfully monitor via the torque app, as it would be good to see knock, afr etc etc to ensure the motor is healthy at all times...
Unfortunately you won't be able to see knock, afr, manifold pressure, or really anything else useful through the OBDII protocol. All those things are logged through the MUTIII protocol in programs like evoscan or mitsulogger.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:37 AM

hmm, any feedback on this plugin for the torque app then?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kills.kd&hl=en
Old Feb 8, 2017, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by gotblkr
hmm, any feedback on this plugin for the torque app then?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kills.kd&hl=en
I don't know what metric they are using to determine detonation, but im almost certain it wont be the same as knock count as reported by the ECU.
The following users liked this post:
gotblkr (Feb 8, 2017)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 01:05 PM

Yeah, you are probably right. Appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I don't know what metric they are using to determine detonation, but im almost certain it wont be the same as knock count as reported by the ECU.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
I just installed torque-pro on my tablet and have it in my Evo MR. I used an OBD-PRO dongle to handle the OBD2-Bluetooth signal conversion. Any data that your ECU gathers is capable of being represented in the torque app, it really is that amazing. The issue with representing obscure data-streams boils down to associating torque recognized PIDs with resistance signals that the ECU analyzes and sends out as CAN messages. I'm not a programmer, but I can assure you that if your ECU is reading a signal, the torque app has a user interface capable of viewing that data. I'm a complete moron and I was able to view some very weird data streams on my torque app. I've got a few pics in my build thread here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...l#post11748316

Quick Reply: Anyone setup an 03 EVO VIII with OBD2 Bluetooth & Android Tablet?