Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CT9A Resurrection and Innovation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 'Lectric_Blu_IX
Wow! Who delivered it, Ace Ventura?

The last mile is the hardest mile, right? You shall overcome, and Cars and Coffee will never be the same!!!
LoL, that sequence in Ace Ventura was hilarious.

Is there C&C in Raleigh anymore?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Can't wait to see it done and totally drivable.

Aren't you missing a bullet for "dyno time"?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by electron bom
LoL, that sequence in Ace Ventura was hilarious.

Is there C&C in Raleigh anymore?
LOL..."Sounds broken." "Most likely, but I'm sure it was something nice."

Raleigh, technically, no...but Triangle yes. There's a C&C in the Morrisville area (old Outlet Mall) I believe on the first Saturday of each month. There's also one in Wake Forest on the last Saturday of the month.

Once you get the green light to go street-worthy, if you decide to go to a C&C...please let me know. I will NOT miss that one!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

June 24th will be the 2 year mark for this build. I'm hoping to be road testing it by that date, but it all depends on the charger rebuild.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

side project

The wrinkles annoy me a bit. I assumed they were a result of my pathetic sewing ability. Then I noticed that the steering wheel displayed on the vendor's website also had wrinkles. I guess its a common occurence. The material feels great.

Old Jun 12, 2017, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Can't wait to see it done and totally drivable.

Aren't you missing a bullet for "dyno time"?
Dyno time is on a different list titled 'morbid curiosity' I anticipate that the numbers will be quite underwhelming, so there isn't much motiviating me to kill a whole day on a chassis dyno. However, I am curious to see those numbers in a single vs twin motor context. I may still change the motor controller before going twin, thus any data gathered before that swap would include an additional variable. A set of numbers which I'm very interested to see are those produced by corner scales. I'm itching to know what this thing weighs.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by electron bom
Dyno time is on a different list titled 'morbid curiosity' I anticipate that the numbers will be quite underwhelming, so there isn't much motiviating me to kill a whole day on a chassis dyno. However, I am curious to see those numbers in a single vs twin motor context. I may still change the motor controller before going twin, thus any data gathered before that swap would include an additional variable. A set of numbers which I'm very interested to see are those produced by corner scales. I'm itching to know what this thing weighs.
The dyno video itself would be worth the effort . If you lived closer I'd be over promptly with my scales lol.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 07:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
The dyno video itself would be worth the effort . If you lived closer I'd be over promptly with my scales lol.
Definitely a lot of people would like to see dyno and if possible have some sort of street metric as well, e.g., 0-60 or 1/4 mile. The potential for ease of launch is fascinating to consider and could be very attractive.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

A cheap app, some tape, and a bunch of wires

I finally got off my butt and established the CAN-Bluetooth link for my BMS. I highly recommend the OBD-PRO dongle for anyone who is interested in reading OBD2 data via bluetooth connection. I'm transmitting the data to my tablet in the cabin and viewing it with the incredible 'torque' application.

I used tape to hold the tablet roughly in its intended position. Hopefully I can develop a more permanent mounting solution this weekend.

The torque app is really amazing. The BMS manufacturer provided a list of custom PIDs (4 pages worth!) that permit me to view EV-specific data over the OBD2 communication software. The app is immensely customizable, a great buy for $4.95. Here I am displaying: state of pack charge, pack voltage, charge/discharge current, pack temperature, and extreme cell voltages (highest and lowest out of the 96)

Last edited by electron bom; Jun 14, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 09:24 PM
EvoM Guru

What is the data update frequency? My experience is that OBD is pretty slow for the Evo ECU but maybe much faster for the BMS that you are using?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
What is the data update frequency? My experience is that OBD is pretty slow for the Evo ECU but maybe much faster for the BMS that you are using?
The BMS polls cell voltages every 30mS and the current sensor samples every 8mS.
The datalogging utility in torque gives me several options to select for logging interval. The quickest sample rate would be 'when sensors refresh' and the next quickest would be 50mS or 20Hz. The BMS is a CAN2.0 device set to 500Kbps and it interfaces seamlessly.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:04 AM
EvoM Guru

That's sounds pretty good to me.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

The Two Year Mark
for this build passed three days ago

I thought I'd be daily-driving the car by now. The "few business days'' turn around time for the charger rebuild is now at 4 weeks. As soon as I get the charger back, it's going in and the car will be street ready. Until then, I'm addressing a multitude of small non-critical projects.

RAM Mount 'tab-tite' for tablet mounting. The sliding mechanism allows for quick removal of tablet.

The following users liked this post:
'Lectric_Blu_IX (Jun 27, 2017)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my RAM mounts. Have one in every car for GPS duties. Would recommend.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazing!!!!
The following users liked this post:
electron bom (Jun 28, 2017)

Quick Reply: CT9A Resurrection and Innovation