Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

CT9A Resurrection and Innovation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Things and Stuff

Interior mostly reinstalled

Speedhut 3 3/8" gauges arrived

Old Apr 1, 2017, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Other than the gauges , did you leave the rest of the electrical components wired as factory (headlights, interior etc.. ) with only connecting the fuse to power supply or did you custom re-wire everything ?

Edit.

I thought i remember reading this, but went over the thread again and found the below from post 118. So by the below you actually did remove all fuses with wiring and re-wired the entire Evo ?

Originally Posted by electron bom
Difficult decision

Was debating whether or not to use the factory fuse box,harness, and circuits. It would have been easier to piggy back my devices onto the preexisting setup, but I decided it will be much cleaner to rip it all out and wire up all circuits individually. So this happened:

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Apr 1, 2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Other than the gauges , did you leave the rest of the electrical components wired as factory (headlights, interior etc.. ) with only connecting the fuse to power supply or did you custom re-wire everything ?

Edit.

I thought i remember reading this, but went over the thread again and found the below from post 118. So by the below you actually did remove all fuses with wiring and re-wired the entire Evo ?
That was the initial plan, but I would have lost too much functionality by deleting the ETACS. I also decided that the weight savings wasn't worth the effort. Presently, the car has a complete: dash, headlight, and cabin harness. The relay box, junction block, and ETACS receive power from my custom distribuition block. The custom distribuition block also powers the electric motor controller components: computer, water pump, low voltage shunt gauge, main contactor, proximity sensor, and throttle circuit.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Diodes of the Light Emitting Variety
Going to be working on a dash cluster, so it was time to light the interior

Map light comparison

Dome light converted as well. B pillars finished.

Old Apr 4, 2017, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is definitely one of the coolest builds I've seen on here. Which LEDs did you use/where did you buy them?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nirvancol
This is definitely one of the coolest builds I've seen on here. Which LEDs did you use/where did you buy them?
Thanks much!
Phillips LEDs from Pep Boys
Old Apr 5, 2017, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Cluster Evolution

Old Apr 6, 2017, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Thats awesome! I've been contemplating how to install a Racepak IQ3 Display Dash in my car. I may do something similar to this now.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Gauges
Did some wiring, repositioning, and fabrication.

Odometer is now ready for inspection, tomorrow at 8am!

Moved the 12v shunt gauge and switches to the HVAC control area. This required fabrication of another panel, but I've improved (very slightly) my vinyl wrapping skills. Now my cheap plywood looks like glossy pre-preg.

Last edited by electron bom; Apr 6, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Failure is ALWAYS an option

In an effort to make sure I was properly prepared for inspection, I stopped by the DMV this past Monday. I presented all of my documentation to an officer who assured me that everything was in order.
Great.
I rented a truck, trailer, and took the Evo to the DMV this morning with the exact same paperwork. After 2 hours and many conversations with several very confused officers, I was informed that I actually did not have everything I needed to pass. I don't think the DMV has ever taken me for this much before; wasted an entire morning, $120 on a truck and trailer, and I got nothing in return.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by electron bom
Failure is ALWAYS an option

In an effort to make sure I was properly prepared for inspection, I stopped by the DMV this past Monday. I presented all of my documentation to an officer who assured me that everything was in order.
Great.
I rented a truck, trailer, and took the Evo to the DMV this morning with the exact same paperwork. After 2 hours and many conversations with several very confused officers, I was informed that I actually did not have everything I needed to pass. I don't think the DMV has ever taken me for this much before; wasted an entire morning, $120 on a truck and trailer, and I got nothing in return.

WOW, this sucks. What were you missing
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
WOW, this sucks. What were you missing
Bought a dash pad from a user on the forums because mine had a blown passenger airbag. Since the VIN on the new dashpad doesn't match my vehicle's VIN, the DMV wouldn't pass the car. No sweat, all I need is a bill of sale for the dash pad with the VIN on it. Sadly, the member who sold me the dash pad doesn't want to sign a bill of sale because of fear for identity fraud. Basically I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The DMV also wants a serial number from the transmission, but since I had JACKS rebuild my transmission and install a new bellhousing, there is no serial number. I called Mitsu for a replacement tag, but they don't offer them. No idea what I'm going to do about this issue.

Last edited by electron bom; Apr 7, 2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
For the dash , why not just take your original vin and rivet/replace it in to the new dash ?

As for the transmission , wouldn't the receipt from Jacks Transmission be enough to show proof that it is a used or rebuilt transmission that won't have serials ? If that fails , maybe engrave a serial on it ?

I don't understand why you need to prove a serial for a transmission ? Vin on the dash makes sense so I suppose it's not a chopped up stolen parts car but transmission ? Anyone can buy used transmission to replace a blown one as a cheaper option than rebuilding sometimes .

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Apr 8, 2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Correct grammatical error
Old Apr 7, 2017, 02:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
For the dash , why not just take your original vin and rivet/replace it in tithe new dash ?

As for the transmission , wouldn't the receipt from Jacks Transmission be enough to show proof that it is abused or rebuilt transmission that won't have serials ? If that fails , maybe engrave a serial on it ?

I don't understand why you need to prove a serial for a transmission ? Vin on the dash makes sense so I suppose it's not a chopped up stolen parts car but transmission ? Anyone can buy used transmission to replace a blown one as a cheaper option than rebuilding sometimes .
+1

I agree with this

OP, you've come too far for them to stop you now. If they are going to low blow you with stupid rules like matching VINs and serial numbers, it's time to take matters into your own hands.

Swap the VIN plates from your old dash and new dash. Have an engraving shop place the VIN on a small strip of black aluminum and JB weld it the trans in the stock location. You must now get crafty to fight back.

What pisses me off is not only did the first officer who obviously didn't know what he was doing lie to you, but the fact that you have a ZERO EMISSIONS vehicle and they are still fighting to keep your car off the road. Sheesh, the logic of people these days...
The following users liked this post:
electron bom (Apr 7, 2017)
Old Apr 7, 2017, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Very easy to swap the vins ... keep trucking.. like the new led's
The following users liked this post:
electron bom (Apr 7, 2017)

Quick Reply: CT9A Resurrection and Innovation