Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 7 problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Evo 7 problems

hey guyz,
yesterday i went with mt friend to try a 2001 evo 7 because he wants to buy it, so the owner took us for a drive , at the first 2 mins everything seemed normal , but after that i noticed some noises coming from underneath the car ,

1- whining sound at 2nd or 3rd gear (coming from underneath the car ) , after researching i found out that the whining sound means a dead transfer case .

2- Strange "clicking" noise when shifting down , for example shifting from 4th to 3rd to 2nd , the noise comes from underneath the car(and i think it comes from underneath the back trunk area) , this is different from the normal sound that is heard when the gears engage.

3- vibration from underneath the car , this happens when trying to drive from a dead stop at first gear , the vibration happened 2 times , and when i asked the owner if the clutch is a racing clutch , he said no , its an OEM clutch , i was really surprised since the car is making around 400whp , the vibration looks like something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEF...ature=youtu.be)

sorry for the long post , but could you please tell me if these are normal or not
are these symptoms of a dead transfer case ?
does the transfer case affect these things ?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
not normal

1. first gear whines a little, but not high pitched or anything like reverse does. no other gears should

2. not normal

3. sounds like a warped flywheel or something

either way, skip the car and keep looking