Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock versus modified Evo 8 value

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock versus modified Evo 8 value

So, I own a 2005 Evo 8 that I'm looking to sell. I've been looking at other Evo 8's in my area (SoCal) to determine the price, but there are 0 that are completely stock like mine. Am I crazy to think that a stock Evo is more desirable than a modified one? Would a stock one be worth more money than say one that had a bunch of stuff done to it? I'm interested to hear opinions on this.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
You don't share much info on your car, but unless it's a low mileage car (a 9 in the right color especially) being bought by a collector, then no I don't think it adds any value. It may be more desirable to some, but being that it's an 8, I don't think it'll have more value than a well-done/tastefully modified 8 that has similar miles and is in similar condition.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 05:21 PM

I didn't share anything as I wasn't trying to turn this into a pseudo-sale ad for my car. But basically it's WW and stock with 76k miles on it. I priced it a little bit higher than the modified ones that I've seen as I thought it would be more desirable. But I could be wrong, hence the thread starter. But if what you're saying is true, and I definitely see where you're coming from, I may have to adjust the price on mine. Thanks for the response.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ninja9k1
Am I crazy to think that a stock Evo is more desirable than a modified one?
It depends entirely on the buyer. Some potential buyers think stock = never abused. Most buyers appreciate tasteful mods that make sense (like intake/exhaust/gauges). More 'radical' mods are generally a red flag (meth injection). Also lots of cars get returned to stock before they are sold, so you never really know if a car has truly been stock all its life.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by nemsin
It depends entirely on the buyer. Some potential buyers think stock = never abused. Most buyers appreciate tasteful mods that make sense (like intake/exhaust/gauges). More 'radical' mods are generally a red flag (meth injection). Also lots of cars get returned to stock before they are sold, so you never really know if a car has truly been stock all its life.
Yea, this is true. I think after thinking about what you and the other poster said, I might need to adjust my price down a little bit. Thanks for your response.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In my opinion i think tastefully modded evo's fetch a good price that's done right and clean with good compression numbers and have paperwork and everything in order. But that's just me.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ninja9k1
Yea, this is true. I think after thinking about what you and the other poster said, I might need to adjust my price down a little bit. Thanks for your response.
I watch the market pretty close, post up the details and your asking price ill tell you if its too high Or PM it to me, im curious