Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Downpipe Rub on Sway Bar noise?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 06:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Downpipe Rub on Sway Bar noise?

Searched quite a few times only found one thread that had one person say something about the sway bar but not enough info, anyway typical thing I have what I believe is a megan downpipe that was made for acd however still rubbed my transfer case. I "fabed up the pipe" with a hammer and not its not touching but still close so I x'd that off the noise list. Nest what I found is that the pipe is just about touching the sway bar , barely enough room for a sheet of paper to fit. The noises all started after I installed Spec-R springs this past weekend. Does lowering the car change the geometry enough that the sway bar would somehow come close to the exhaust? Im going to modify the hangers Saturday for more clearance just looking to see if anyone else has any more info than what I found. (FYI - this happens on warm up and sometimes idle, also sometimes when pulling out in 1st.)
Old May 4, 2017, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The sway bar would rotate so maybe. Anyway, sheet of paper worth of clearance is not enough. The motor and hence the transfer case moves on rubber mounts.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:11 AM

Exactly that's what I was thinking , I have urethane hangers on order hopefully I can mess with the hangers this weekend to pull the pipe away more from the transfer case. But seems also it's hitting my sway bar creating this annoying sound.
Old May 4, 2017, 03:49 PM

This is the front sway bar with the car jacked up
Old May 4, 2017, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From my experience, the megan DP designed for the 9 has perfect clearance throughout, I would double check that you don't have one meant for the 8's.
Old May 4, 2017, 04:47 PM

To be honest I don't even think it is a Megan I think it's a knock off that was installed when I bought the car. What do you think , I think your right saying it's completely wrong idk
Old May 6, 2017, 10:59 AM

Solved my problem , with my car on a lift i was able to clearly see the downpipe sitting against the sway bar , was able to use a big pry bar and adjust the exhaust hangers and gave my self plenty of room from the transfer case as well as the sway bar , all this happened from lowering the car also , swift Spec-R , but all is good now.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I am dealing with the same problem with my DC downpipe, after I lowered my evo with swift specRs. Can I install adjustable front end links to rotate the sway bar back? I don’t want to dent in my down pipe to fix this issue. I already brought my my car to an exhaust shop, and he tried to finagle the hangers with no luck. He suggest denting the downpipe or cutting it and and make a custom section. Or is there any other way? Thanks in advance
Old Nov 21, 2018, 07:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Toystory87
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I am dealing with the same problem with my DC downpipe, after I lowered my evo with swift specRs. Can I install adjustable front end links to rotate the sway bar back? I don’t want to dent in my down pipe to fix this issue. I already brought my my car to an exhaust shop, and he tried to finagle the hangers with no luck. He suggest denting the downpipe or cutting it and and make a custom section. Or is there any other way? Thanks in advance
Are you sure you have the correct DP for your EvO? I have a 9 & use an Invidia system & dont rub at all. Dont think installing end links will affect the FSB position enough to make a diff w/the rub? (could be wrong).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:55 AM

I believe so. The downpipe was given to me new by the precious owner. I had no issue with it rubbing or clearance when i was on stock KYBs. Only had this issue when i installed specRs with MR bilsteins. Clearance now is like paper close like the OP.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Toystory87
I believe so. The downpipe was given to me new by the precious owner. I had no issue with it rubbing or clearance when i was on stock KYBs. Only had this issue when i installed specRs with MR bilsteins. Clearance now is like paper close like the OP.
Its very possible that DC pipe was just not made properly for your EvO model. Ive got a 9 w/ACD & lowered & my pipe fits w/out rub on the FSB. Now, it does rub on the 2 lateral bars that i had to space down

Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:59 AM

I also have a 9 with ACD. It cleared just fine before I lowered it. If worst case I would have to dent in the down pipe just to clear it.