Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM Evo 9 t-case leak??pls help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM Evo 9 t-case leak??pls help

hi I just replaced my clutch few months ago and recently when I do my engine oil change I found some oil dropping between transmission and transfer case and the colour is grey after doing some research I can confirm it's the t-case fluid I use the diaqueen lsd gear oil in my t case and rear diff. Does anyone know why it leaks? should I torque the bolts first and see if it I'll still leaks before replacing seals?
another question my transfer case is starting to have whining noise at 2300-2500 rpm 4th gear, but as soon as I press clutch down or after 2500rpm whine noise goes away or maybe the exhaust sound cover it. Should I rebuild the transfer case or just replace the seals and keep driving until the transfer case died ?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Are you sure that cheerio sized o-ring is in its spot up at the top of the transfer/transmission mating surface?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Are you sure that cheerio sized o-ring is in its spot up at the top of the transfer/transmission mating surface?
I'm pretty sure is the o ring seal makes it leaking, probably not torque bolts when they put them back when replaced clutch before
Old Jul 19, 2017, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You can torque the bolts, easy enough to do - might have to pull the axle. First, spend some time looking for the actual source of the leak, it could be an axle seal. My DSM had a TC leak that was coming from the air vent - so you never know until you know.

I remember the first time I did a Evo clutch and found this tiny o-ring on the pavement beside me. When I figured out where it came from and found that it would just fall out on it own, I glued it in place. That o-ring has caused many people grief.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

You can torque the bolts, easy enough to do - might have to pull the axle. First, spend some time looking for the actual source of the leak, it could be an axle seal. My DSM had a TC leak that was coming from the air vent - so you never know until you know.

I remember the first time I did a Evo clutch and found this tiny o-ring on the pavement beside me. When I figured out where it came from and found that it would just fall out on it own, I glued it in place. That o-ring has caused many people grief.
okay I'll jack up the car torque all bolts and look closely tomorrow or in weekend try to take some picture
Old Jul 20, 2017, 08:33 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
This would be my first guess.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

which one is the cheerio sized o ring? Do you have pictures?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
This one below.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-numbers.html
Part Numbers
MD743612 o-ring between transfer case and transmission small
MD727944 o-ring netween transfer case and transmission large

Old Jul 27, 2017, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
This one below.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-numbers.html
Part Numbers
MD743612 o-ring between transfer case and transmission small
MD727944 o-ring netween transfer case and transmission large

It's leaking in the area I circled, it's between the transfer case and transmission. It's not a very serious leak but it's all wet on that area.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 09:35 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Probably the small o-ring, as mentioned above. It commonly falls out, so you gotta really keep an eye on it. If that were the source of the leak, it would be running out right where you circled.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by eddy5201314
It's leaking in the area I circled, it's between the transfer case and transmission. It's not a very serious leak but it's all wet on that area.
That is where it would look like its leaking from when the little o-ring is missing, misaligned or torn. I had the same thing happen to me once. The oil leaks from the the little o-ring location and makes its way down to the area you circled. Every time i parked i would have one or two quarter coin size oil drops spots on the ground. It makes it seem like that circled area is the cause of the leak but its not.

Sometimes the o-ring doesnt stay in place during the t-case install. What you can do is use just a little bit of grey RTV gasket maker to help keep it in place. You dont need to go overkill on it, just a little smear.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Probably the small o-ring, as mentioned above. It commonly falls out, so you gotta really keep an eye on it. If that were the source of the leak, it would be running out right where you circled.
if I need to fix it, does the whole transfer case needs to come off?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
That is where it would look like its leaking from when the little o-ring is missing, misaligned or torn. I had the same thing happen to me once. The oil leaks from the the little o-ring location and makes its way down to the area you circled. Every time i parked i would have one or two quarter coin size oil drops spots on the ground. It makes it seem like that circled area is the cause of the leak but its not.

Sometimes the o-ring doesnt stay in place during the t-case install. What you can do is use just a little bit of grey RTV gasket maker to help keep it in place. You dont need to go overkill on it, just a little smear.
did you mean use this:?
http://www.frsport.com/?target=products&product_id=282254&currency=NZD&gc lid=EAIaIQobChMI09KfyYas1QIVklt-Ch05vAzPEAQYAiABEgIZWfD_BwE

so I just put a little bit on where it leaks from?
Did you fix it that problem when you had the same problem as me? Mine is same as you every time I parked it drop a very little bit of oil on the ground.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The tcase needs to come off the trans, but it doesn't need to come out of the car. You should get a new oring. Drain the trans, remove the axles and driver side stub shaft, unbolt the tcase from the trans, slide it over to the passenger side so you can put the oring in place (use a bit of grease or RTV to hold it in place), reassemble. You don't even need to drain the tcase.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The tcase needs to come off the trans, but it doesn't need to come out of the car. You should get a new oring. Drain the trans, remove the axles and driver side stub shaft, unbolt the tcase from the trans, slide it over to the passenger side so you can put the oring in place (use a bit of grease or RTV to hold it in place), reassemble. You don't even need to drain the tcase.
ok if I just leave it like that and keep pumping t case oil into the t case every week or two?, is it okay? Because it's quite a nasty job to do to fix it.

Quick Reply: JDM Evo 9 t-case leak??pls help