Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car revs itself in neutral

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car revs itself in neutral

Hey guys I have a weird issue on my car and it goes like this

Cold start is fine and after a few minutes when the car is warmed up it will rev itself to 3k rpm so at this point I said maybe if I drive it, it will go back to normal but getting off gear it will drop the rpm but sputter while accelerating and once I go back to neutral it will rev itself to 4k.

I thought it was my battery but I replaced it and still does it. Then I thought it was my double din taking too much charge so I took that out, still does the same; then I replaced the positive terminal and still does it. I dont think its a boost leak or anything because a week ago it drove fine

Thanks guy for any input
Old Jul 27, 2017, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
This is a long shot, as I've never seen the idle go out that much, but perhaps your BISS and idle re-learn are way out of wack. Could be a failing IACV as well.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ferp
This is a long shot, as I've never seen the idle go out that much, but perhaps your BISS and idle re-learn are way out of wack. Could be a failing IACV as well.
It was going to go past 4k but at that point I didnt want to hurt the motor so I shut her off; this happened after 1 week of driving fine, the battery died and I jumped it, after awhile revs jumped so I turned it off looked at the bay and saw a swollen battery, I thought that was the issue but it still does it, doesn't happen immediately only when the car warms up a bit
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:06 AM

Not sure if it helps but I had something a little bit similar. All my lights dimmed and the engine revs would bounce between normal and 3K while in neutral after a somewhat long drive. It turned out that the voltage regulator wasn't doing its job and it would be over the threshold needed to charge the battery. It would go back to normal after reducing the load like turning off my radio and stuff. I had to swap out the alternator for a new one.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kraise
Hey guys I have a weird issue on my car and it goes like this

Cold start is fine and after a few minutes when the car is warmed up it will rev itself to 3k rpm so at this point I said maybe if I drive it, it will go back to normal but getting off gear it will drop the rpm but sputter while accelerating and once I go back to neutral it will rev itself to 4k.

I thought it was my battery but I replaced it and still does it. Then I thought it was my double din taking too much charge so I took that out, still does the same; then I replaced the positive terminal and still does it. I dont think its a boost leak or anything because a week ago it drove fine

Thanks guy for any input
try clean your iac valve and try unplug any sort of volt stabilizer or anything thats attached to ur battery, also unplug any unnecessary wiring u can see.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My car did this when I pulled my valve cover make sure your throttle cable is clipped in right if it's not it will hold the throttle plate open and cause it to rev up mine was hanging at like 2500rpm lol threw me off for like a half hour till I realized it
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:37 PM

might need a re tune
Old Jul 29, 2017, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
start with cleaning your IACV
Old Jul 30, 2017, 09:28 AM

Hey guys quick update,

Cold starts are fine now and the car does not rev itself up when its warm, now it just shuts off when its warm; iacv is fine and the battery is also fine now
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:10 PM

Figured it out bad connection to the ecu
Old Sep 5, 2017, 05:51 PM

Check for boost leaks and test your ISC.