Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blower fan and AC Coil stay on after key is shut off

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Blower fan and AC Coil stay on after key is shut off

This issue is not something I previously saw mentioned so I thought I would post my experience. I have an 06 EVO IX and a few weeks back the AC stopped working. What I noticed is that with the AC on the clutch was not engaged so I tapped it with a screwdriver while it was running and the clutch engaged.

I came across the following thread, which pretty much explained how to resolve the issue.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ng-advice.html

Since the parts took about 10days to get I decided to do a trick others have done and take off the armature and just remove the shim and put the armature back on without the shim. This seemed to work most of the time, but a few days later I started to see another issue. When I would turn off the key the AC blower fan would continue to blow. After trying a few things I finally tracked it down the the AC compressor and noticed that it would stay charged when the car was off. Removing Fuse 9 (ac compressor) under the hood would resolve the issue.

When I got the new coil/armature/rotor I removed the old stuff and installed the new stuff. I went to shim the new armature off the rotor to the factory spec (0.012" - 0.020") and chose a tight clearance of 0.014", but after starting the car and then turning it back off I noticed the fan was still on and the coil would not turn off even with the key removed.

I suspected the issue was the gap so I went with a slightly thicker shim and it completely resolved the issue at least for now. So for some reason if the armature gap is too close it somehow won't allow the coil to disengage even with the car off. Not sure how all of this works, but if you have an issue with the blower fan staying on this is something you might want to investigate.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE

I started having issues again and tracked it down to the AC Compressor Relay, which when removed made a loud click and eliminated my current draw issue. I have been driving the car with no issues until today when the AC didn't feel as if it was getting cold enough. When I went to turn off the car the blower fan stayed on again so I thought....WTF. Went to do a current draw test and as I tried to removed the AC Compressor Relay it was hotter than hell so I suspected this relay to be the issue.

I then sought to purchase the new relay Part # 8627A008 (supersedes MR538851) online and came across the article below. It basically says, if your AC Blower fan stays on then 99.99% chance it is the AC Compressor Relay. When I pulled mine out it had melted on the bottom so I have two new ones on order.

https://www.justanswer.com/mitsubish...-recently.html
Old Aug 8, 2017, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

"Well there ya go..... that means 99.9999999% odds are the AC clutch relay is failed. That is its trademark when it goes out completely. While possible for the other relay to do that too, whenever I see these interior fans operating with the key off the first thing I do is pull the AC clutch relay out and verify the blower relay in the dash no longer stays engaged... it just about always is the issue."

The Relay

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Aug 8, 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Just want to report back the AC is working well and the new relay is not overheating. Again, if your blower motor stays on then you should try pulling this relay first to see if the blower stops. This may be the reason Mitsu uses a different part number now for this relay.