Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Your opinion about this evo

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your opinion about this evo

Hello,
I bought an Evo before 2 months. It is JDM version mr gt changed to left handed. Everything is fine but I explored something what makes me worry. Company sold it to me as not crashed. But I explored on few places, that something happens. I know it isnt car with you go on shopping but I would like to know your opinion about it. Inside car, under roof anywhere isnt anything else, no welds, any body panels wasnt change on car. Only what I found is on the photos. Should I worry about it? Alignment is 100% right and ride in car is fine. Only what I think that someone hit a wheel it went to doors, cuz only what is changed are hinges. And they opened welds to repair hinges.

Thanks for your reactions

Old May 6, 2018, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Chances are that car wasn't a RHD to LHD swap. That's an ENTIRE strip-down to the frame and extensive new components. Do you have interior pictures?
Old May 6, 2018, 11:27 AM

Yea sure

Old May 6, 2018, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Hard to even give an opinion on that, what is the history?
Old May 6, 2018, 02:53 PM

Truly I dont know. Car was made 2005 may. In the 2016 imported from jqpan to uk and then to the company which is doing these builds. I am only afraid about chassis, that is bent or smth. On the other hand, how I said any of these panels werent changed and alignment is in specs. As you see on the pictures on the right leg of the engine chassis there is original PU seal and everything. Frame of the windshield is ok too. I am frustrated, what could happen. One thing I forgot to say, behind the front wheel closer to driver the sheetmetal was a little straigtened so only what I think is that he hit something with the wheel, and the wheel damaged hinges of drivers door etc.
Old May 6, 2018, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd bet the car was wrecked at some point. Frame welds on a car don't just separate like that, and swapping an entire firewall (and a TON of other components) from RHD to LHD does't just happen for fun, especially if the LHD models are readily available.
Old May 6, 2018, 07:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I agree that it doesn't make sense to swap the firewall and everything else, unless it's an accident repair and they decided "as long as were repairing....".
Old May 7, 2018, 01:45 AM

It wasnt crashed, but in europe is problem to buy nicr not rusted evo not used like testdrive car before rallye etc. The company do these huge changes normally.
Old May 7, 2018, 01:52 AM

Old May 7, 2018, 01:05 PM

So today I visited friends bodyshop and there was told me after inspection that car was hit behind the wheel sidepanel was opened to get it easier repair and weld again. It didnt go to any main chassis parts. So I think I shoudlnt worry. And these opened welds happened how it get hit, chassis springed and opened these spots. Is it possible? Because anywhere around these welds near the roof, behind sidepanel everything is alright and with original spot welds
Old May 7, 2018, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Dude are you stuck on buying this hulk for any reason? I would keep looking unless you were going to get it at a throw away price
Old May 7, 2018, 03:14 PM

I already bought it as I said in the beginning of the thread. These pictures what I sent have made by myself. I didnt put enough attention to this cuz company makes these builds for atleast 20 years. Last photos was when I was there to choose a car for rebuild. Earlier photos what I post, were during rebuild and I spot it week ago. I wouldnt even think if the car has been bad that they would start rebuild it. I have this car for 2 months at home and I just wanted to know your opinion if I shouldnt worry about it when everything else is right.
Old May 7, 2018, 03:57 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
From a safety standpoint, I'm sure it's fine. I assume your area has laws, when it comes to repairs, etc. that the shop had to follow.
Old May 7, 2018, 04:14 PM

I dont know if you really understand, in my area there is problem to buy nice evo. So the evo is imported from japan to uk and from uk to my area and rebuild to LHD. Imported to uk, because in europe there is problem to import rhd to country where they have lhd but uk is in EU so from uk it is possible. I am only worried about these opened spot welds on the photos at the start of the thread that I created. If I can be calm when geometry alignment is fine all wheels are where they should be and there isnt any other damage on the roof, side panels etc. Car was probably repaired in uk or japan.