Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me thread ? Idling high

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Help me thread ? Idling high

So story is i came in this morning car was running ok until at the stop light it dipped to zero at idle and came right back up to 1000 RPM, car didn't shut off weird, then i get a P0455 i clear that when i get home and it doesn't return.

I sleep because i work at night, then i wake and decide to do my COP system that i did the DIY version, well that didn't take and the car doesn't start, so i say to myself let me just order the connection that isnt working and return it back to normal.

Return car back to normal spark plugs and coils, now she idles all the way up to 2000 RPM and won't come down, i am baffled at what to do, can someone say why she is suddenly doing this, i hate to see my baby like this.

How far do i need to tighten the spark plugs ?

Does it need much tightening if any at all, it was in there pretty tight when i originally took it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 02:57 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by huzzle101
So story is i came in this morning car was running ok until at the stop light it dipped to zero at idle and came right back up to 1000 RPM, car didn't shut off weird, then i get a P0455 i clear that when i get home and it doesn't return.

I sleep because i work at night, then i wake and decide to do my COP system that i did the DIY version, well that didn't take and the car doesn't start, so i say to myself let me just order the connection that isnt working and return it back to normal.

Return car back to normal spark plugs and coils, now she idles all the way up to 2000 RPM and won't come down, i am baffled at what to do, can someone say why she is suddenly doing this, i hate to see my baby like this.

How far do i need to tighten the spark plugs ?

Does it need much tightening if any at all, it was in there pretty tight when i originally took it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
factory spec is 18+/- 4 ft-lbs. Do a boost leak test, it will also find vacuum leaks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 03:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The P0455 is an Evap system pressure issue (gas cap, filler tube or related system issue)

Your high RPM may have to do w/that code or the rework you did to the COP system

As far a spark plug torque, see the manual here: (19ft lbs)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
The P0455 is an Evap system pressure issue (gas cap, filler tube or related system issue)

Your high RPM may have to do w/that code or the rework you did to the COP system

Yea i did the EGR delete so i was surprised to see that code come up, disabled all periphery that was suggested in forums.

[QUOTE=factory spec is 18+/- 4 ft-lbs. Do a boost leak test, it will also find vacuum leaks.[/QUOTE]

Going to check for any leaks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 03:21 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

Is that the spec for the IX? I guess it doesn't really matter if OP has an 8 or 9 really, either would be in spec with an accurate wrench.

Edit hang on WTF, either a typo or math is hard here lol. The Metric number is the same but the standard conversion is different.

This is why that mars probe crashed lol
Old Jun 3, 2018, 04:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^^^I see what you mean, but both put the spec in the same range. BTW, My spec was from the 9 manual.

But Yeah, sometimes close is not good enough
Old Jun 3, 2018, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

So i found the suspect for the high idle, somehow a connection i believe the TPS got disconnected, i wonder if that also messed with my COP not firing, i am going to play it safe and get the already configured Spoolinup connection. Think i also need to go in for a much needed tune, i have been learning how to do it but i am no expert and ever since i did the EGR delete she doesn't idle as well as she used to before i did the delete.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 05:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Good catch & thanks for the update. Keep your thread updated as we'd like to stay updated on your progress

Old Jul 8, 2018, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check intake manifold. Especially if egr delete was done. Carefully inspect lines. Hoses might of work themselves loose.