Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8/9 Wing Re clearing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Evo 8/9 Wing Re clearing

Hi, I was speaking to a paint shop to have my wing re cleared. After they looked at the current condition they weren't sure if they applied a clear that it would bond well. Also they did not even want to attempt to try to clear the rest of the failing clear since sanding might damage the carbon weaves itself. Is there any bonding issues if just trying to clearcoat the carbon fiber part? Is there another method that should be done to get the wing resprayed or something?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, there are a few threads about this topic, did you already check them?
Here a few, but if you search you will find more, hope it helps.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...bon-wings.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...storation.html

Cheers,
Patric
Old Jul 3, 2018, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I checked a lot. But nobody really mentioning if reclearing makes it last a long time. Just worried since paint shops are turning me down and are unsure if clear would bond properly.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I have done 2 of them, sanded down past the gel coat, and used rattle can 2k.

First one has lasted at least 3 years. Still looks decent. Takes quite a few coats to get smooth though, the weave shows through.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I brought mine to a body shop and they couldn't really make it nice . Ended up painting it with the same color as the rest of the car.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Bummer. Well I'm looking into maybe getting epoxy on the carbonfiber and then clear on top of that. From research seems like epoxy works really well on carbon fiber.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:37 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the wing just fake carbon fiber anyways? If so- I think I would rather paint it to match the body anyways. (Everyone has their own opinion right?)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This is mine. I like it better. Less conspicuous.

Old Jul 3, 2018, 02:42 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revhappy
This is mine. I like it better. Less conspicuous.
Very pretty work. I have a grey MR 9, and the "sonic the hedgehog" thing on the roof needs to come off. I want to paint that to match the grey on the body (they are different shades of grey from the factory)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Take it to a carbon fibre repair shop or if you do it yourself ensure UV resistant coating, mine needs redoing, I'll probably do it myself, 500 bucks to replace with 2nd hand.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the wing just fake carbon fiber anyways? If so- I think I would rather paint it to match the body anyways. (Everyone has their own opinion right?)
Nope, EVO 8 to 9 MR have full CF wing
Old Jul 4, 2018, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I had mine done (sanded and re-cleared) by a body shop 4 or 5 years ago and it still looks brand new. I did the vertical wing supports with a rattle can 3 years ago and the clear coat is peeling. Lesson learned . . . Done right (by professionals) and it will last.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 01:10 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redcat
I had mine done (sanded and re-cleared) by a body shop 4 or 5 years ago and it still looks brand new. I did the vertical wing supports with a rattle can 3 years ago and the clear coat is peeling. Lesson learned . . . Done right (by professionals) and it will last.
Your problem if either the prep, or the spray can (or both)
When I spray clear I use a real gun with 2 part activated urethane based clear. You also need to also prep the surface with some sort of abrasive (I use Ajax and a scotch Brite pad) to make water sheet instead of bead up
Old Jul 9, 2018, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Welp so far another paint shop pretty much doesn't want to attempt but said they would but have no idea what the cost would be since they've never done it before.... I already took the wing off since I don't want the exposed carbon fiber to get damaged from the sun. Is there a place anyone knows about I could just ship the carbon fiber middle piece to to have it sanded/cleared?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 07:31 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Welp so far another paint shop pretty much doesn't want to attempt but said they would but have no idea what the cost would be since they've never done it before.... I already took the wing off since I don't want the exposed carbon fiber to get damaged from the sun. Is there a place anyone knows about I could just ship the carbon fiber middle piece to to have it sanded/cleared?
I really don't see why it is different that re-clearcoating any standard panel. The key is in the prep.

Quick Reply: Evo 8/9 Wing Re clearing