Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

06 evo battery drain help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 evo battery drain help

My stepson is deployed and we had his 2006 evo with 58,000 shipped home. After the car sits for a couple days the battery is toast. the wipers, radio and clock still have power to them and will operate like normal with the key out. There is an aftermarket alarm and radio, he replaced the battery last month and I just charged it and added a battery shut off, voltage is 12.7v and 13.9v when the car is running. I was thinking it could be the ignition switch? I’ve already checked the wiring on the left driver kick panel and it didn’t appear that any water is getting and and there’s no corrosion. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2018, 05:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi Bryce. Well could be a couple of issues
  • First check if the alternator is properly working
  • If the Alt is OK, it is likely just a battery issue (after all it has been sitting). Possible drain issue w/this alarm system
  • Battery should be trickle charged during his deployment which will keep the charge level proper
Just my .02

Joe
Old Oct 25, 2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hi Bryce. Well could be a couple of issues
  • First check if the alternator is properly working
  • If the Alt is OK, it is likely just a battery issue (after all it has been sitting). Possible drain issue w/this alarm system
  • Battery should be trickle charged during his deployment which will keep the charge level proper
Just my .02

Joe
thanks. The battery is charging. Still weird that the radio and wipers work when the car is off and the key out of the ignition.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 06:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryce Micha

thanks. The battery is charging. Still weird that the radio and wipers work when the car is off and the key out of the ignition.
Oh, I didnt catch that point that the radio & wipers are working w/the key out. Now that is not right. My EvO's radio, wipers dont come on w/out the engines ECU activated

Wonder if whoever wired up this alarm system has done something causing a parasitic drain?

Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Sounds like a relay was hooked up to wrong leg where power is connected when relay is in off position.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 09:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Carefully go through all the wiring for the alarm and radio, that's likely where you'll find the issue.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Start by going through the alarm relays and find any with a wire connected to the center prong. Then pull each relay (with that center wire connected) off of the socket/connector.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 01:44 PM

Well here is the problem. Lol ****ty radio install.
they had red (ignition) yellow (accessory ) and orange (illumination ) were all connected together. With the harness plugged in the wiper have power the radio and clock without the key in the ignition which I’m figuring was drawing the battery down. There is a factory amp, I know how the yellow and red wire hooks up, does anyone know if the blue wire from the factory side and the blue wire from the radios side and the blue wire from the amp plug all connect together? Also does the illumination wire go to the ignition wire (red) it’s a kenwood. Thanks for all the help

Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With aftermarket units, yellow is your battery 12v, red is your accessory (hot when key is on I), blue is remote signal to turn on amp, orange dims the CD player when light is on.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 06:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryce Micha
Well here is the problem. Lol ****ty radio install.
they had red (ignition) yellow (accessory ) and orange (illumination ) were all connected together. With the harness plugged in the wiper have power the radio and clock without the key in the ignition which I’m figuring was drawing the battery down. There is a factory amp, I know how the yellow and red wire hooks up, does anyone know if the blue wire from the factory side and the blue wire from the radios side and the blue wire from the amp plug all connect together? Also does the illumination wire go to the ignition wire (red) it’s a kenwood. Thanks for all the help

On the plus side that's a nice and easy fix lol, but yah that's a pretty terrible install. If memory serves me, you should only need the blue connected to the amp harness.