Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

whats the best HP target for a track and street tune while staying reliable?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
whats the best HP target for a track and street tune while staying reliable?

So, I've started pulling my motor due to low compression, it was tuned around 320HP and I was thinking of a build it for around 400HP, I was doing about 6 track sessions a year and weekend drives. I was always in the mix with the hot hatches, golf Rs and focus's but anything exotic would blow me. I was thinking of over building the motor while its out for reliability (carrillo rods, ACLs and Wiseco pistons) so I can push the HP for the track but how far should I look at. I'm thinking 400/400 would be a thrill ride to take most anything on but with a 6 speed, I'm now thinking I should be heading for around 380/350 because of the track punishment on a 6 speed. Does that make sense?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I think your goals are inline for what it can handle. If you're worried about the 6 speed you can invest in a https://professionalawesome.com/prod...adapter-plate/ . Or even make a cooling set up with an oil cooler and a pump to circulate the fluid. (this thread is a good start) https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...6-speed-2.html.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Didn't you make a thread about this already?

You're wasting money on Carrillo's at that level. Eagle Hbeams are all you need.

Hell, a stock engine would live at that level for quite a while..
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Didn't you make a thread about this already?

You're wasting money on Carrillo's at that level. Eagle Hbeams are all you need.

Hell, a stock engine would live at that level for quite a while..
different subject, over here eagle h beams are going to cost me 1100 AU and carrillo are 1700, 600 bucks is nothing to me when rebuilding a motor. I could el cheapo stock for 650 bucks too, then one day i might want to go an fp red and lean on the motor. Didnt you grenade your motor on a cold day at around 400hp, would carrillo rods and wiseco pistons have saved you ?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
different subject, over here eagle h beams are going to cost me 1100 AU and carrillo are 1700, 600 bucks is nothing to me when rebuilding a motor. I could el cheapo stock for 650 bucks too, then one day i might want to go an fp red and lean on the motor. Didnt you grenade your motor on a cold day at around 400hp, would carrillo rods and wiseco pistons have saved you ?
My car blew up on a tune that made 510whp and 415wtq, it was certainly on the edge to begin with. It blew up on a cold day yes, a very cold night actually, probably 30-32*F. But it was stock connecting rods, and after 2.5yrs at that power level and like 10 track days, one finally gave up. So, any kind of connecting rod upgrade would have "saved" me on the same tune.

A 600AUD difference is certainly a lot of money. That would be $431USD at current rates. I saved that much on my motor build by choosing a forged crank over a billet because I didn't see the billet as truly needed (the only advantage is weight, they aren't really stronger).

In the end it's your money, but the Carrillo's are definitely not needed for your goals. Basic Eagle or Manley Hbeams would be more than enough.

I chose Carrillo's for my engine because I was planning a turbo kit this year with a Garrett gen2 3582r. Which will put me over or around the acceptable limit for the Eagles.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I was planning a turbo kit this year with a Garrett gen2 3582r.
I’m following this thread to learn something, and then I saw the above statement.
I’m excited to see what this turbo can do!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

My car blew up on a tune that made 510whp and 415wtq, it was certainly on the edge to begin with. It blew up on a cold day yes, a very cold night actually, probably 30-32*F. But it was stock connecting rods, and after 2.5yrs at that power level and like 10 track days, one finally gave up. So, any kind of connecting rod upgrade would have "saved" me on the same tune.

A 600AUD difference is certainly a lot of money. That would be $431USD at current rates. I saved that much on my motor build by choosing a forged crank over a billet because I didn't see the billet as truly needed (the only advantage is weight, they aren't really stronger).

In the end it's your money, but the Carrillo's are definitely not needed for your goals. Basic Eagle or Manley Hbeams would be more than enough.

I chose Carrillo's for my engine because I was planning a turbo kit this year with a Garrett gen2 3582r. Which will put me over or around the acceptable limit for the Eagles.
I wish you luck with your next build, I've always been a low risk kind of guy so at this later point in my life, from all the reading I've done on here about the variables that have caused blown motors, there was a good thread started on the subject like spikes, bad tune, engine over revved, cold etc. There another factor of fatigue, sure cheaper Eagles or Manleys can handle 400hp but I feel the Carrillo's and Wiseco's would handle this type of HP over more years of run time and track days increasing reliability longer. So I plan on over building it and doing it once only, then I can play with it for the rest of the time I have it without any thoughts of I hope this thing can take this new turbo etc. I also regard Carrillo's and Wiseco's as a status symbol, so if someone wants to buy it from me, it would be a good selling point for their future HP needs. I also should be able to lift the revs on it a touch for more fun factor too. Yeh I am stuck on them
Old Jan 10, 2019, 08:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Stock long block, as close to 500whp as my fuel pump would allow, 350wtq, all with the 6spd.
and will probably last another 100k miles.
With the 6spd, diff there's no real need to build the engine with forged stuff. You would have to deal with "built engine problems" with no real advantage.
not worth it, IMO.