Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help with trans fluid/ trans noise

Old Jul 11, 2019, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with trans fluid/ trans noise

I had recently did a fluid swap in my evo 8. The car had a trans rebuild done by Jacks before i bought it. We did a full fluid change in trans, t-case and both diffs with MAP's trans fluid kit using redline fluids. Notice clutch and trans chatter were more apparent after this fliud change than ever before (there was always some of that decel chatter before, but now its louder) and theres more chatter at idle as well. The chatter kind of goes away if i hold the clutch in at a stop. We had also changed the motor mounts (all excep the dog bone at the rear of the motor), which may contribute to the noise since they ate stiffer than stock. My question is, should we try a different suite of fluids or is there something i can add to quiet the trans down? On MAP's site for the product details of the fluids in the kit it says to NOT use synchro mesh or other things like that. So what do yall propose? Its really annoying and want to resolve this. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 752 Likes on 707 Posts
You're hearing more noise because of the mounts.

If you put in a Redline "cocktail" drain that and put straight Redline MT90 or Motul Gear300 in. Simply because that's what should be used. But the noise won't change much.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 02:16 PM

Hmmm

I kind of figured the mounts had a lot to do with it. But it's A LOT of chatter. So we used the redline you mentioned but youre saying we should drain and use that with the motul? Even if it only helps a little would be better than it is now. Thanks for the advice. Any other advice is appreciated.

Last edited by r3d d3v1L; Jul 11, 2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old Jul 11, 2019, 02:19 PM

Oops, sorry i misread your reply lol. One or the other. Is there something wrong with the cocktail MAP sells?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 752 Likes on 707 Posts
Well, its MAP, so they're basically retarded.

The two quarts MT90 + 1qt MTL makes MT-85, which is available off the shelf instead of mixing fluids. And, MT85 is kinda thin once you have an aftermarket clutch and the car is making more power than stock, so it's best to step up to just running MT90.

The noise is normal with an aftermarket clutch.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
What clutch are you using? I have the torque solution front motor mount and oem for the other 3. I'm using act hdss with motul 300 and I don't get any clutch chatter.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Eh I have act clutch using redline fluid with all 4 tq solution mounts. When the fluid warms up you can hear everything. Hope you have a nice radio. Turn it up that’s what I do lol. I’m planning on pulling the rear mount off and replacing with stock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.