Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM Evo 8 Replacement Key

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM Evo 8 Replacement Key

I recently imported an Evo 8 to Canada but and it only came with 1 key. I went to the local Mitsubishi dealership and they told me they wouldn't be able to program a new key for me because they didn't have the JDM codes but I've seen a lot of people talking on the forums about just going to the dealership and getting a new key. I was told that I have to send my key by mail to Mitsubishi in Japan for them to program a new key.

Has anyone have any experience with trying to get a new key directly from Japan or got a JDM Evo 8 key made in Canada?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by RealMuffinKing; Apr 17, 2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
Well, years ago I did get 2 blanks and program them myself, you need a factory key to have immobilizer recognize new key then do a bunch of on off crap. Search how to program 'em, it's on here someplace.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 08:39 PM

I had found a couple of forum threads about reprogramming blank keys but all of them said that you needed two keys in order to be able to reprogram them yourself and if you only had 1 working key that a dealer would need to program you another
Old Apr 17, 2020, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Just disable the immobilizer in the ecu. It's not super secure in the first place.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Key PROFILE and the Key Immobilizer CHIP is identical for all Evo8 and Evo9 Keys...as far as it goes to my knowledge ( RHD JDM, RHD UK/AUS, LHD EDM ) so i suspect the USDM is the same..
So you can order an Key in Canada / US to work with.
Dealer or MUT3 is needed for Programming...Tell them to use the "CODENUMBER" for reprogramming used for Canada / US Keys...its the same for all CT9A and CT9W...

The only thing which is different is the Remote Lock Transmitter...it has a different Coding / Frequency for JDM aka RHD cars....( but looks the same!!! )
They can not be used from any other country.
I am working on Evos all the time, RHD and LHD..here in Germany...My personal Evo is right now an Evo9 Wagon...so i have to have some spare keys done... ;-)

Here in Germany i get the Keys only Cutted to Fit from one company which is doing this for Mitsubishi..They can make Keys by Lock Number ( as far as i know its on the Drivers side Front lock stamped in ..but i never checked ) OR they can cut the key by an Picture of the existing key ( They can "decode" the profile, cut the Key and send the Key and Key Profile Number to me )
Here the can also send me the RHD Keys complete with the JDM Remote transmitter..

The Evo 8 and 9 Key Immobilizer ist NOT Reprogrammable !! ( Its an one time Key , so when its paired to one IMMO Unit in an car ( Not the Engine ECU ) its locked to that forever ( MEIS called )
So a used Key doesnt help. You need an Virgin one.
up to Evo 7 it was the "MIS" system...there it was possible to transfer Keys to different IMMO Ecus...
Old Apr 18, 2020, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by deeman101
Just disable the immobilizer in the ecu. It's not super secure in the first place.
If I disable the immobilizer this means that I only need a cut of the key to start the car and not the transponder in the FOB?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by german_evoVII
The Key PROFILE and the Key Immobilizer CHIP is identical for all Evo8 and Evo9 Keys...as far as it goes to my knowledge ( RHD JDM, RHD UK/AUS, LHD EDM ) so i suspect the USDM is the same..
So you can order an Key in Canada / US to work with.
Dealer or MUT3 is needed for Programming...Tell them to use the "CODENUMBER" for reprogramming used for Canada / US Keys...its the same for all CT9A and CT9W...

The only thing which is different is the Remote Lock Transmitter...it has a different Coding / Frequency for JDM aka RHD cars....( but looks the same!!! )
They can not be used from any other country.
I am working on Evos all the time, RHD and LHD..here in Germany...
So if I want my key to have the functionality of the two buttons for Lock/Unlock I would need to get a JDM key but if all I want is a immobilizer chip any usdm key would work?
I am planning on getting a keyless entry FOB aswell sometime soon so just having the immobilizer would work fine for me.

By "CODENUMBER" I am not sure what your mean. I noticed a 6 digit code on what I believe to be the transponder when I open up the key I have. Is this what you are referring to?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RealMuffinKing
So if I want my key to have the functionality of the two buttons for Lock/Unlock I would need to get a JDM key but if all I want is a immobilizer chip any usdm key would work?
I am planning on getting a keyless entry FOB aswell sometime soon so just having the immobilizer would work fine for me.

By "CODENUMBER" I am not sure what your mean. I noticed a 6 digit code on what I believe to be the transponder when I open up the key I have. Is this what you are referring to?
Point 1: Correct... Only a JDM Transmitter will do the job for Lock / Unlock..

Point 2: No, The CODENUMBER is needed for the Dealer/MUT3 Tool to unlock the Immobilizer Ecu to reprogram / add new keys. Under normal conditions it is an preconfigerd Number ( 4 Digits ). On Customer request it can be changed by an Dealer ( mostly until 1st Delivery of the car ) to not longer allow adding or changing Keys without Owner intervention.. its like an additional Layer of security.. so no Workshop can mess around / adding keys..
If that CODENUMBER was changed anytime, and you didnt have the 4 Digit code, you will need an Blank IMMO Ecu ( NEW Unit and OR Used one ) and all new Keys ( or at least Blank Chips in the Keys ) to start an COMPLETE new IMMO functionality. ( Relearn Keys and Relearn IMMO ECU to Engine ECU )

You should have the JDM Style Key ( With Lock / Unlock )right now.. the other one shown is the USDM style Key without Remote Unlock ( was an separate Unit for the USDM cars, attached external by an Key ring )

JDM / EDM

USDM style

Last edited by german_evoVII; Apr 18, 2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RealMuffinKing
If I disable the immobilizer this means that I only need a cut of the key to start the car and not the transponder in the FOB?

Correct. IIRC its like a 4 digit code number or something like that. I could even reprogram that code on your ecu to start with my key. It takes only a tactrix cable. Theres no safety system in place from preventing anyone with access to your obd port to disable than immobilizer anyways.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
Correct. IIRC its like a 4 digit code number or something like that. I could even reprogram that code on your ecu to start with my key. It takes only a tactrix cable. Theres no safety system in place from preventing anyone with access to your obd port to disable than immobilizer anyways.
Well.... that would be the worst what can happen because ANYBODY who has access to the key for 5 seconds can do copy it ( soap block method ) and get your car away...

NEVER disable the immobilizer as long as there IS a solution to do it right....
The Easy way isnt always the best way...

But it is only my opinion...
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:53 PM

Point 1: Correct... Only a JDM Transmitter will do the job for Lock / Unlock..

Point 2: No, The CODENUMBER is needed for the Dealer/MUT3 Tool to unlock the Immobilizer Ecu to reprogram / add new keys. Under normal conditions it is an preconfigerd Number ( 4 Digits ). On Customer request it can be changed by an Dealer ( mostly until 1st Delivery of the car ) to not longer allow adding or changing Keys without Owner intervention.. its like an additional Layer of security.. so no Workshop can mess around / adding keys..
If that CODENUMBER was changed anytime, and you didnt have the 4 Digit code, you will need an Blank IMMO Ecu ( NEW Unit and OR Used one ) and all new Keys ( or at least Blank Chips in the Keys ) to start an COMPLETE new IMMO functionality. ( Relearn Keys and Relearn IMMO ECU to Engine ECU )
If the CODE NUMBER was never changed by a previous owner and was still set to the preconfigured code is there a way for the dealer or a third party locksmith to determine that code to create a new IMMO key?
I was told by my local dealer that he would not be able to make a key for a JDM model Evo because he didn't have access to the JDM codes for the key but I am unsure if this is the same code that he was referring to but all things I've found online suggest that any dealer should be able to make a new key.

Since I am planning on just having the USDM model key I am going to buy the remote entry FOB. Would the FOB have the same Code/frequency limitations that the JDM keys have?
This is the FOB I am ordering https://stmtuned.com/products/keyles...t=990563598345

Last edited by RealMuffinKing; Apr 18, 2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

The Code i have mentioned has nothing to do with the KEY !!

The code is used to get the Immobilizer ECU to switch into PROGRAMMING Mode ( With the Mitsubishi MUT 3 Tool )

The Service technician has to enter this Code ( Which is for all CT9A Models worldwide the same, so he has it at the Dealership / Internal MMNA lists ) to get the Software of the MUT 3 to get Access to the IMMO ECU in your Car.

I will send you an PM with the code needed. ( For the dealer )

The FOB from STM DOES NOT WORK for JDM Cars as i mentioned before !!! That is the USDM FOB !!! This is not working....
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

You can get the immobilizer code with a tactrix cable, computer and ecuflash.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-ecuflash.html
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well.... that would be the worst what can happen because ANYBODY who has access to the key for 5 seconds can do copy it ( soap block method ) and get your car away...

NEVER disable the immobilizer as long as there IS a solution to do it right....
The Easy way isnt always the best way...

But it is only my opinion...
The immobilizer might have been a real impediment during its era. But nowadays its the easiest immobilizer design to bypass. Anyone who has some knowledge of the car they are stealing could bypass it within 25-45 seconds. I rely on my aftermarket alarms immobilizer cause its harder to bypass. And I have a standalone.
Old May 17, 2022, 08:58 AM

Hi all, i'm new around the evo area and like the RealMuffinKing i have a jdm evo9 with only one key, the one without remote controls for door lock.
Is there any chance to use an evo10 blank key and the follow the mentioned procedure to code it and make it work on my evo9?

Thank you!