Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fillup with gas while engine is running??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fillup with gas while engine is running??

So, can you fill up an EVO with gas while the engine is running without getting a service engine light or something similar? The tailpipe and exaust is like 4 feet on the other side of the car... I'm thinking it wont explode in flames with just a bit of care, I just don't want to set some stupid code that I have to go to the dealer to get reset...

Old Jul 1, 2004, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

I tried this same thing yesterday and the rpms were stumbling at idle. i don't know why that was happening.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

my questions is why not turn it off?
Old Jul 1, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Why would you keep the car running while filling it up.....? just shut the car down and open gas cap and fill...... restart car then drive... whats so hard about that.... why take chances!
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

I fill up all the time with the car running, never had a problem yet. I have been doing it for years. Never had anything "blow up."
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, I do this frequently also. I just make sure I always ground the nozzle on something first, which I do weather the car is running or not.
The only reason I do it is to keep the A/C running in the summer, otherwise its pretty pointless.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Extremely dangerous. Do not do it at all. Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it never will. It's unlawful also. And you will throw a code.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:09 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

I was refilling all my cars when they were running and never had a problem. Evo only drops the rpms a bit.
When it's cold outside, I sit inside, heater is blowing while the guy does the job for me... one thing I love NJ for.

It is recommended to shut it off if the pump doesn't have a rubber piece on the top of the noozle which prevents the fumes from coming out. In theory, something can always go wrong
Recently I started shutting my car down because it can't really keep the idle while refilling.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Shut it off. It's safe and legal.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

My favorite is when gas station OWNERS stand near the pumps SMOKING CIGARETTES.

It must be way too easy to buy a gas station.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

I've done this once but only because I was driving hard and didn't want to wait for the cool down period. Didn't notice any idling issues nor did it throw an SES. As for it being dangerous? Possibly. You're more likely to ignite the fumes by getting in and out of your car while pumping gas. You build up static electricy when you shuffle your but across the seats, hence why you get shocked stepping out of the car and touching the door frame. When you gas up you should always touch the lip of the filler neck and a metal portion of the nozzle to dissipate any charged electrons. Although never officially recorded, cell phones may ignite fumes when used. Stay outside while pumping to prevent the buildup of static electricity, but if you have to go back in the car while pumping make sure you ground yourself to the pump (not the handle or anywhere near the filler neck) before you touch the nozzle.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
doing that its just the same as smoking while pumping gas or talking on the phone while filling up, i wonder what'll a cop do when he sees you doing that...
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by insomniac_evo
doing i wonder what'll a cop do when he sees you doing that...
Eat another donut?

I've always left my car running when filling up, it was only starting with my 2002 Camaro Z28 that the SES light would come on, thats when I stopped. I was doing this before you punks were born!!

Don't you guys watch mythbusters, you can't start a gas fire with static electricty, a cigarette or a cellphone, they've tried and failed.

If this is the most dangerous thing I do all week, well then you can all start calling me Suicide Spike, but something tells me I'll die in some other way then bursting into flames while refueling my car I think the odds are mucyh greater I'll die getting shot by some young hotty's husband, hopefully while I'm still in bed with her ... preferrably just after completing my business there!! BANG! BANG!

Come on, all you former hall monitors, all you safety-police types, jump all over me about this... this is UNSAFE for heavens sake, if I do this I must be evil right??

I guess us true EVO pilots tend to be rebellious and shady anti-safety types... you 'poser hallmonitor types should have bought the S60R
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I sure do and if you watched the entire episode you would have seen the news coverage of the guy who burnt down an entire gas station when he got in his car while pumping and then returned to the nozzle where he sparked a fireball from static build-up. And being a pyro back in my younger days you can damn well light gas fumes with a cigarette. Been there done that and lost a few body hairs in the process.

I just love those idiots who say "I've done such-n-such for this long and nothing bad has ever happened". Well, keep on keeping on then. May your luck last until you wind up in the Darwin Obituaries.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

It's not even about rebelling or posing as the hall monitor.

It's about safety. If you want to endanger your own life, that's your business. But you're putting other people's lives and property at risk when you do stuff like that.

We've had enough fires at gas stations as it is. We don't need any more.

And the screwed up thing is that when an idiot blows up a gas station, he's probably dead, or dead broke and we can't take any money from him.

Take some responsibility and show a little respect for your fellow human being. I guess that's just a little too much to ask nowadays.