Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yorgis_MR
LOL...this is a load of info...but I am still unclear about something:

If you are installing BOTH oil pressure & oil temp., do you need TWO adaptors like the ones 42draft sells? Also, someone mentioned that the DEFI gauges have a thread pitch that matches the stock oil filter location plugs...is that the case?
Both ports are 3/8" BSPT. Defis are 1/8" I believe and some are BSPT and some are NPT depending on how you order them. I think both are available, so be sure to check. The gauges I have are NPT like many others, but the Defis are kind of odd in usually having BSPT. Regardless, you'll need an adapter.

Check what I posted here in this thread. I have links to a site that carries some uncommon adapters to fit what you need.

Check it

You want to install it the way outlined in this thread. The rearward port, I believe is right off the pump before the oil goes thought the oil filter, so you want your pressure gauge there because that's where you will get the highest reading. The other port to the right side of the car, I think is after the oil is filtered and you install the temperature sender there, because you want the sender as close as you can get to the moving flow to get a more accurate read. You can't do that with two senders on one the rearward port with T-fittings for example, because not much oil will flow through the T-fitting and it will be locally cooler there. So doing it the way outlined here is best.

Last edited by ITEM9; Feb 28, 2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 08:39 AM
Account Disabled

Just installed my Glow Shift oil pressure & boost gauges last week, they look pretty good (especially at night). They almost match the stock gauges perfectly and cost about 1/3 less than the Defi's. They change 7 different colors wich is pretty cool, but I just keep them on the red-orange setting. Install was a sinch and they both read accurately, my only gripe is that you can't see them too well during the day, but I can still make out their readings. Here's a pic....
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just another opinion on sender placement. From what i have been told and understand it doesn't really matter where you place it. If you can consistently get accurate readings you will know when it goes off the grid. Like someone stated earlier you have have a million senders, you just have to know when something is wrong.

BTW I plan on mounting it on the head, easier to get to and cleaner IMHO, plus no risk of something happening to it from the road.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOgasmIX
Both ports are 3/8" BSPT. Defis are 1/8" I believe and some are BSPT and some are NPT depending on how you order them. I think both are available, so be sure to check. The gauges I have are NPT like many others, but the Defis are kind of odd in usually having BSPT. Regardless, you'll need an adapter.

Check what I posted here in this thread. I have links to a site that carries some uncommon adapters to fit what you need.

Check it

You want to install it the way outlined in this thread. The rearward port, I believe is right off the pump before the oil goes thought the oil filter, so you want your pressure gauge there because that's where you will get the highest reading. The other port to the right side of the car, I think is after the oil is filtered and you install the temperature sender there, because you want the sender as close as you can get to the moving flow to get a more accurate read. You can't do that with two senders on one the rearward port with T-fittings for example, because not much oil will flow through the T-fitting and it will be locally cooler there. So doing it the way outlined here is best.
Guys thank you very much for the information. I actually read the whole thread lol

also, where is the location where the Defi's instructions ask you to tap? "presure switch"
Old Nov 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up Question:

when the engine comes out hot from the engine block where does it go?
does it go the engine cooler through the engine cooler feed line then gets cooled, then goes to the oil filter and then though the oil pump and back into the head?

The reason I ask is because by knowing this flow then many people can make a good educated guess on to which one the two taps on the oil filter bracket connect an oil temperature and oil pressure sender.

This is what I think, if what i stated above is true, then wouldnt i want my oil temp. sender before the oil goes into line #4 (cooler feed) to the oil cooler; that way I know how HOT the oil in the engine is before its cooled? - or, would it be best to know the temperature of the "cooled" oil going into the head?

The only reason why I would choose "cooled" oil is because this is the "coolest" it will every get, but that is not a true reading of what is going on inside correct?

Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

if your looking for 1/8 npt to 1/8 bspt adaptor (BSPT Male x NPT Female) mcmaster has it as well part #:
4860K141
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is a page of the manual. the pressure reading is from the pressure switch location
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install-oi-pressurecheck.jpg  
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Installing an AEM oil pressure gauge today on a Evo 9.
Using the port in the top of the head as suggested by Nils.

Anyone using AEM sending unit and this location should use a fitting, Metric Adapter, Oil Pressure, 1/8 in. NPT Female to 1/8 in. BSPT Male.

I got mine from Summit; part # ATM-2269. (Auto Meter 2269) - Auto Meter Metric Adapters.

These Auto Meter metric adapters offer an easy way to install pressure and temperature gauges into most cars with metric fittings.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
here is a page of the manual. the pressure reading is from the pressure switch location
If this is where the factory system reads oil pressure from and it's documented in the manual with pressure specifications for this particular location, wouldn't this be the perfect spot to install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge sending unit? Install a "T" fitting and reinstall the factory pressure sending unit as well as your new oil pressure sending unit for your new oil pressure gauge. How about using the plug location in the head for an aftermarket oil temperature gauge sending unit since it is the higest point in the engine and should be the hottest? it's also an easy location and low pressure readings won't matter for when reading temperature.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where is the oil temperature sending unit that supplies info to the factory MR oil temperature gauge? Does anyone have any info in the factory manual about this location?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by miragevo
Where is the oil temperature sending unit that supplies info to the factory MR oil temperature gauge? Does anyone have any info in the factory manual about this location?
The factory oil temperature sender is in the drain plug ....As for the factory oil pressure / idiot light sensor - it is above the oil filter on the 9 and on the back of the block on the 8.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:19 PM

just want making sure if I have a sender with 1/8" NPT.......

For installing by the oil filter, I need to get a " 3/8" BSPT male to 1/8 NPT female " adapter !!!!

For intalling on the side of the head, I need to get a " 1/8 BSPT male to 1/8 NPT female " adapter !!!

please somebody confirm about that !!!!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:09 AM

The exact fitting you get will depend on the sensor threading so without knowing what your brand of sensor uses, I cannot speak specifically for it.

42 Design makes several adapters to do the job for most oil pressure sensors. Here is a link to one of their adapters but make sure you read what sensor it receives because the Defi brand sensor uses a 1/8" BSPT.
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Lanc...ptor_p_53.html

I adapted to the extra lug at the oil filter flange and know these work their.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by auto228
just want making sure if I have a sender with 1/8" NPT.......

For installing by the oil filter, I need to get a " 3/8" BSPT male to 1/8 NPT female " adapter !!!!

For intalling on the side of the head, I need to get a " 1/8 BSPT male to 1/8 NPT female " adapter !!!

please somebody confirm about that !!!!
Not sure if you already figured it out, but I tried installing my pressure sender to the side of the head. Didn't work. My sender has a 1/8" NPT and it looks like the thread of that plug by the head is 1/8" BSPT. So tomorrow I'm going to try to find a BSPT to NPT at a nearby shop.

As for the oil filter plug, I'm getting the 42 draft designs 3/8" BSPT base fitting and 1/8" NPT elbow for my oil temp sender.

Let me know if you already figured it out and if what I'm saying is accurate or correct.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Is it ok to put an oil temp sender in the place in the head instead of the oil pressure, I don't want annoying beeps all the time from the defi from low oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install