Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install

Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
because the greddy block moves your filter down 1.25" and it's awefully close to the ground at the point

-joe
Old Nov 23, 2004, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ I totally agree.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sgplancer
Not for nothin, but why all of this trouble. I have no idea how much the fittings cost, probably 7-10 bucks, but why??? Just install a oil filter block, like greddy, and just be done with it. I bought mine for 40 bucks, installed in like 15 minutes, and I was done. Just my .02

Excellent write up btw.
The threads on the oil block didn't work with my gauges. I even bought the block but didn't use it.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I understand the issue about moving the filter tip down around and inch or so, but for me it was a convenience factor. No measuring of threads, adapter fittings, or finding the right plugs. I just installed the pressure transducer to the block and installed it at the next oil change. Like I had said, just my .02

As for the gauges not fitting the block, you could always have used reducers to make it work, or retapped the hole in the filter block. I just was amazed on how easy it was for me. I have a greddy block and defi bf oil press gauge.

But like I said earlier, nice writeup.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

what brand of gauges?

what was the thread pattern? I think I can help you (i got all sorts of adapters)

-joe
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Just an update. I ordered the fitting I linked to above. The install was really easy. The pieces fit perfectly. I used teflon tape to seal it all up, and haven't had any leaks. I have no idea what size and pitch the threads are, but it seems like a good, easy solution.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

OK, here's one for you.. Are you getting the oil temp before or after the oil goes through the cooler?

FYI, the lower plug is in the return from the oil cooler. With a VDO oil temp sender installed in this hole, with the 42 adaptor, I see 180f on the street. On long track runs the temp held at 240f.

Last edited by Scottybob; Mar 21, 2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I bought the draft42 fitting, will be installing this weekend.
Just to be sure......use teflon tape and not locktite.....correct?
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Just to let you know my experience. I had to go back and re-do the fitting using a sealant instead of tape. The tape started to leak a little on me. However, it could be because I didn't have enough on there, or something. The fitting is great.

Twan, I'm not sure about the locktite. If it is fine with oil, then it should be okay. I used some type of blue RTV from Autozone when I fixed mine. Someone else I talked to said his leaked with the sealant, so he fixed it with tape. I have no clue what type of sealant he used, or how long he let it dry before filling up with oil, though.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Locktite makes a thread sealer as well as their thread locking products. I would have used it (sealer) if I could have found any locally.

I used about 4 wraps of teflon tape and have no leaks.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

can some one explain BSPT and npt ? im confused on what little fitting im going to need to get i have the Defi oil pres gauge any help would b great!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

One of the standards has one more thread per inch than the other. So they are close, but not the same. The fitting above works fine for Defi. The one side threads into the car, and the other end is 1/8 NPT, which seems to be pretty much standard for aftermarket oil gauge fittings.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after reading that install, i'd be scared. Most places will recommend a remote mounting of a sender, as i did my on rsx. Basically, you come out and run a line to the T, then mount the sendor. When the engine is revving, bouncing, moving, all the weight and stress of that sender is on the threads.

I may be over-stating my concern, because the block on the 4g63 is Iron, where as the k-series is aluminium.

regardless, remote mounting, can't be a bad idea.

my $.02
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NPT = National Pipe Thread

BSPT = British Standard Pipe Thread

Maybe it's JPT, Japanese Pipe Thread.

Chances are it's 3/8 NPT

For anyone that doesn't know, pipe thread is progressive so it's diameter gets larger the further it threads in. Basically if it's leaking then it probably isn't tight enough.

I don't get oil pressure readings right off the pump, once it goes low the damage is done. Tap the oil pressure off the head and it will read lower but it also starts to drop if there is any problems on the bottom end. You know your losing pressure this way instead of the audible low oil pressure method.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

It is BSPT, at least according to the people who sold me the adaptor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.