Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

O2 housing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2005, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 housing

I need help installing a aftermarket o2 housing. im new to installing and taking stuff apart. i need some detailed instructions. please help me
Old Jan 29, 2005, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats up. its gvr4riceater. i just did a aftermarket o2 housing on my evo. it took me about 4 hours to do it. well i will try to take you step by step thur it.
1. rase the car. it would be easer if you could put it in a oil pit, or on jack stands.
2. remove the lower skid plate. the whole thing. its a beaoch!!
3. than remove the down pipe from the cat and the o2 housing
4. remove the top and lower heat shilds located on the man. and o2 housing. their is a wire located on the upper heat shild. to remove it i used a flat head and pried it open.
5. remove the manifold. be careful you dont loose any of the nuts located on the head( 7-12mm and 2-14mm nuts.)
6. detach the 2 bolts located on the bottom of the manifold attached to the turbo 02 housing. their are 2 nuts located also on the bottom of the manifold that need to be removed.
7. their is a bolt on the bottom of the car that supports the turbo o2 side, remove it and discard it.
8. wiggle out the manifold. the part from the head should come off first before removing the manifold. make sure that you dont break any of the manifold studs. i had a friend push the turbo foward toward the radiator in order to remove the manifold from the head. the manifold should now just lift off. you dont have to remove the gasket that the manifold uses to mesh to the head.
9. now with the manifold off, remove the o2 sensor. remove the clamp that holds the turbo together. the clamp is held in by a 8mm nut and scure. or how ever its spelled.
10. remove the hole assembly off. o2 housing and all o2 turbo side. you will have to reuse all of the gaskets.
11. i used a vice clamp to hold the housing while i was removing the o2 housing from the o2 side of the turbo housing.
12. remove the 5 bolts on the o2 housing.
13. install the new o2 housing onto the turbo housing o2 side.
14. install the o2 housing and o2 housing side of the turbo back on the turbo. BE CARE FULL
DO NOT BEND ANY OF THE TURBO FINS!!!!!!! the turbo housing only goes on one way. their is a little nipple on the bottom of the o2 side of the housing.
15. install the turbo clamp back on the turbo.
16. install the manifold. you are going to have to pull the turbo foward alittle to clear the manifold bolts.
17. install the upper heat shield. dont forget to put back on the wire loom.
18. install the down pipe. their is a led type o ring that needs to go onto the o2 housing.
19. install the plastic skid plate.
20. doubble check everything. make sure that everything is on correctly, and every thing is thight.

just to let you know, i could not reinstall the lower heat shild. its a beoach!!!

good luck. if you have any questions, please email me.
tye. email me at tye.ward1@us.army.mil