Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How-to Perrin 25mm rear swaybar & stout mounts

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have an aftermarket exaust that doesn't use the inner rubber hanger, do you need to take the exhaust out to install the bar?
Old May 14, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truDriver
If you have an aftermarket exaust that doesn't use the inner rubber hanger, do you need to take the exhaust out to install the bar?
Nevermind, I just disconnected my muffler from my midpipe, and disconnected the hangar holding the midpipe. This gave me enough room to install everything.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Any updates? Did you use the stock links?

Did it give more understeer or oversteer?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info.

I've just install the sway bar, mounts, and endlinks on my car the other day. The hardest part was trying to remove the stock sway bar, it's easier if you disconnect the stock endlinks. Anyway, I can't say how much better my car feel around the corners. The kit is top notch. Highly recommended.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

my works swaybar was such a mother f_cker to install.......

granted it was my first time doing it and i didn't think it through......but holy hell i remember it being a pain......
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikespike2
Any updates? Did you use the stock links?

Did it give more understeer or oversteer?
I was told by some autocrossers that the OEM endlinks can take anything you throw at it. With that advice I decided to just save my money. I don't track my car either. As far as the understeer/oversteer, with the stiffest setting I have it at now it gives me more oversteer as far as I can tell.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 08:22 PM

Hey there savaho,

I just finished my perrin rear bar install tonight. Was wondering if you came across any of the same issues I had:

1. had to put washers in between the "U" shaped steel mount and the Perrin CNC Stout mount. If I didn't, the bushings were really tight on the sway bar and it took significant effort to move the bar up and down by hand. Suspension bind is no good!

2. There was quite a bit of preload when putting on the second end link. Actually, when the car is jacked all the way up the sway bar hits the driveshaft on the passenger side. This is where I believe the aftermarket endlinks should help

3. I had to move the "U" shaped mounting pieces as far rearward as possible on the stout mounts. The adjustment is there for a reason, but I noticed yours are nicely centered on the CNC mounts. Do you get any rubbing of the bar on the subframe?

thanks,
-norm
Old Sep 24, 2007, 01:50 PM

I've sent an email to Perrin documenting what I'm seeing. I'll post a reply as soon as they get back to me.

-Norm
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nocturnal005
I've sent an email to Perrin documenting what I'm seeing. I'll post a reply as soon as they get back to me.

-Norm
Any update from Perrin?

I noticed that I had 4 extra washers after I was done with the install. I'm guessing they are to space the U pieces against the stout mount....
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:22 PM

I've been in contact with Perrin several times since my post... I emailed the technical line and I got a response back within 15 minutes!

The tech @ Perrin tried his best to help me over the phone via my taking pictures and him asking me to try different things. In the end he agreed that it was possible there was an issue with the bar. (hitting driveshaft, preload issue) I offered to remove the bar and check it for out of alignment but he insisted that that wasn't necessary and that I should be able to return it at place of purchase (Speed Element) and that Perrin would take care of it from there. He went so far as to tell his sales manager that the shop would be calling them about the issue! Great customer service thus far!

Tonight I removed the bar and actually measured it on a flat surface to determine what the issue is. Sure enough, one end of the bar (measured from surface to end link hole) was 7/16" off from the other end! Suspicion confirmed! For kicks, I took the stock bar and performed the same test. The stock bar was within 1/16", entirely acceptable in my book.

Tomorrow I return the bar to Speed Element and receive the replacement. Before installing I will measure this one to see if it is better. I reserve judgment on Perrin's sway bar setup until I get this resolved.

Check your swaybars for straightness before install guys. It may save you a bit of headache. A bent bar would manifest itself in inconsistent left to right handling and possibly uneven ride height left to right.

Sidenote: this may be one reason a bent bar with forged vs welded on ends may have an advantage. Although there is no reason a bar with welded on ends can't be made straight there is nevertheless one more operation in the manufacturing process and therefore opportunity for misalignment.

-Norm
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:47 PM

So,

returned the bar today. No issues with that. However, the replacement bar we measured exhibited the same issue so I decided not to take it.

Maybe a bad batch. Just check your bar for flatness before you install it...

-Norm
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:28 PM
Former Sponsor

nocturnal005, Have you talked to one of our techs about the replacement bar having a similar issue? We need to resolve this for you.

john
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:32 PM

John,

I just returned the bar. The replacement the store had showed an "out of plane" condition, but to a lesser degree. I haven't decided what to do yet for a swaybar. For reference, what is the allowable deviation from flatness from side to side in inches?

The 7/16" out of plane on the bum bar I got would put a lot of preload on the suspension considering the largish 25mm diameter...Normally not too big of an issue except I plan to run the OEM endlinks and therefore don't have a way to compensate for it.

thanks,
Norman
Old May 29, 2008, 06:24 PM

john,

I have recently orderd a full perrin antiroll bar kit for the back of the car (endliks stout mounts e.t.c) I am going to try this out with a cusco front antiroll bar as the dealer in England that i bought the kit from did not sell perrin front anti roll bars. I would also like to buy psr for the evo do you supply these
Old Jun 2, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

any update on the quality of perrin RSB? i hope the bad batch is recalled.

Quick Reply: How-to Perrin 25mm rear swaybar & stout mounts