Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

My Battery relocation and trunk net [pics]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't vent it. I just threw in an optima I had laying around.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redlimit835
No they still need a vent, just not as severely as a lead acid battery. they still give off fumes but not nearly as many. mine is vented on the back side out of sight out of the bottom of the car.
Later
DJ
From the pics it looks like you have 2 holes on the cover, and 2 pretty large holes for the thick guage wire to come in.

aren't you venting into the trunk with those? It doesn't look like it's a sealed box. Is there a gasket of some sort anywhere?
Old May 8, 2007, 06:13 PM

but how do u vent it and where do u have to run the wires for it to b leagal
Old May 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
From the pics it looks like you have 2 holes on the cover, and 2 pretty large holes for the thick guage wire to come in.

aren't you venting into the trunk with those? It doesn't look like it's a sealed box. Is there a gasket of some sort anywhere?
I haven't seen a battery box yet that is totally sealed and needs a vent. Neither the Taylor or the Summit box is truly sealed around where the positive and negative cables go through the box. Yes, the lid seals well, but seriously, there is plenty of potential to leak fumes into the trunk with either of these boxes. I put a vent tube on my box, and drilled a hole in the trunk deck so that it has a vent to the outside, but these boxes aren't totally sealed from the trunk with the grommets and fittings that come with the relocation boxes.

What's my point? I dunno, other than maybe these boxes make you "legal" on the strip, but do they really vent all gasses outside the car????? Not in my opinion.
Old May 8, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

no they do not vent all gasses out of the car, and they are not a hermidicly sealed battery bubble. they are just a precauction in case they explode, and in case of a rollover so there is no chance of the battery flying around..
later
DJ
Old May 8, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
I haven't seen a battery box yet that is totally sealed and needs a vent. Neither the Taylor or the Summit box is truly sealed around where the positive and negative cables go through the box. Yes, the lid seals well, but seriously, there is plenty of potential to leak fumes into the trunk with either of these boxes. I put a vent tube on my box, and drilled a hole in the trunk deck so that it has a vent to the outside, but these boxes aren't totally sealed from the trunk with the grommets and fittings that come with the relocation boxes.

What's my point? I dunno, other than maybe these boxes make you "legal" on the strip, but do they really vent all gasses outside the car????? Not in my opinion.
You and I are in agreement then. It's retarded.

I'm not going to bother venting mine. Everytime I close the door, the trunk vents anyway with the flaps behind the rear quarter panel.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

I hate to bump an old thread, but..

jesus guys, please dont run your power cables through door gromets. They arent designed for thick gauge wiring. Over time they can and probably will short out in your door. Also please ground your battery to the CHASSIS, not the sheet metal in the trunk.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
I hate to bump an old thread, but..

jesus guys, please dont run your power cables through door gromets. They arent designed for thick gauge wiring. Over time they can and probably will short out in your door. Also please ground your battery to the CHASSIS, not the sheet metal in the trunk.
My power cables aren't run through the doors or door grommets.
I used a thick grommet sized for 0 gauge cable.

As far as grounding goes, the stock grounding location for the battery in the engine bay is really just a nut welded to the sheetmetal on the shock tower.

I grounded to several locations in the trunk. Some sheetmetal and some "beefier" locations.

It's a unibody construction. Sheetmetal pretty much is the "chassis"

But thank you for your comment. It does have a lot of truth to it and I do periodically check the grommet. Grounding is what I was worried about at first as I have experienced poor grounding when relocating batteries in other cars. The biggest change I noticed in other cars was a change in the starter motor. I didn't experience that when I relocated this one.

Last edited by SophieSleeps; Jul 12, 2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:21 PM
bus

You should just let the orange show as an accent. Then you could be uber super fluber cool!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Now honestly unless your alternator freaks out and is trying to push like 20 volts into the battery without you noticing, you shouldn't have any problems with enought fumes building up in the trunk of your car to cause a problem. also you trunk is vented out of the botom of the car, behind the wheel wells, the box is mostly a precauction incase the battery does overcharch and explode if there is no firewall between the driver and the battery, and to secure it from trying to fly around the car.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redlimit835
Now honestly unless your alternator freaks out and is trying to push like 20 volts into the battery without you noticing, you shouldn't have any problems with enought fumes building up in the trunk of your car to cause a problem. also you trunk is vented out of the botom of the car, behind the wheel wells, the box is mostly a precauction incase the battery does overcharch and explode if there is no firewall between the driver and the battery, and to secure it from trying to fly around the car.

Thanks. That's my thinking as well.

Regardless, i have a dry cell in there.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

a box is not typically required when using a drycell battery in most cases...when using a wet cell it is

just for reference:

SCCA Rally Cross Rules 2007 Edition
6.3.N. All batteries (on board power supplies) shall be attached to ensure that the
battery and/or power supply will remain in place. If a lead-acid (wet cell) type
battery is located in the drivers/co-drivers compartment it must be equipped with
leak-proof caps and enclosed in a non-conductive, marine-type box. Dry cell
batteries, commonly known as Recombinant Gas (RG) or Glass Mat Technology
(GMT) batteries, are not required to be in a marine-type box. The hot terminal
must be insulated on all vehicles. All batteries shall be securely attached to the
primary structure of the vehicle
this is just one example, but that is typically the rule associated with batteries for track events

heres the pdf link just in case you all want to read the whole thing:

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2007rxRules.pdf
Old Oct 11, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

quick question.......

can someone take a pic of the engine bay and explain how to correctly connect the power cables that originally went to the positive terminal on the battery.

i.e a distribution block? so would you take the assembly that goes to the positive terminal apart (starter power, alternator power, and the other one i forget) put that to the distribution block then run a 0 gauge to the trunk? im just kind of confused?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

my power cable just had an eye bolt on the end of it and i took a bolt nut and washers and bolted the eyelet to the dist block. seems to work fine, no issues with sarting or anything
later
DJ
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:39 AM

why would u put it in the middle? now it takes up lk a 1/3rd of your trunk instead of lk 1/10th....

Quick Reply: My Battery relocation and trunk net [pics]