Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

DIY billet oil catch can for about $20

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for this mod!!! Great quality product!! So will any adverse effects occur if you just vent both ends from the crankcase to the air/breather filter and cap off both ends on the intake side. I mean, besides failing emissions (which anyone who has a test pipe is already doing), it seems that all you would be doing is taking HOT air out of the intake system/manifold. I like this catch can. I set mine up, but instead of diverting a tubing back to the intake pipe, I just capped off my intake pipe (ie.. NO hot air or oil getting into the intake), and vented the outlet port to air with a breather filter. The car responded very well to this!! I was just wondering about the PCV/intake manifold side. If I capped off the intake manifold and vented the pcv tubing to air with a breather, will this cause anything undesired?

Last edited by smarsenal; Mar 13, 2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Nevermind. I just did it and the performance is amazing. I'll post up some pics this weekend. But all I did was basically vent both crankcase vents to air with breather filters. I can't believe how much performance gain is made!!!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, pics please! I might have to vent my catch can output valve on both sides with a breather filter as well!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silex
Yes, pics please! I might have to vent my catch can output valve on both sides with a breather filter as well!
+1
Old Mar 15, 2008, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry i was busy and missed the new posts. smarsenal, i'm really glad you are happy with it. i always thought that its performance depended upon having the vacuum from the intake, and never did it that way.
when you say performance do you mean it collected oil well?
i have seen race cars set up with catch cans without any vacuum like you did, but some people say that you wan to maintain the vacuum from the crankcase. can't wait to see those pics.
thanks for sharing your experience with it!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Well, on the back side, I just capped of the intake manifold, and ran a 3/8" fuel hose from the PCV to breather filter/air. On the front side of the crankcase, I ran the crankcase outlet hose to the Pegasus catch can and vented the catch can to air with a breather. I also capped off my air intake pipe.
When I was taking about performance, I meant Power!! I haven't Dynoed anything, but it is a very obvious gain in accelleration and power. BEST BANG FOR the BUCK mod I've done yet (that includes MBC/Testpipe). It makes sense too. What is happening is that all the HOT crankcase air is being taken out of the intake sysyem, therefore, allowing for much COOLER air temps in the intake manifold. COOLER air is obviously denser (= more HP and safer (less apt for detonation)). OEM vehicles only recirculate this combusted/oily/hot air in an attempt to lower emmisions. Now, this should be a track day only thing to do because it is not street legal/failing emmissions. So you have to approach this as you would if you were considering a testpipe (ie.. Know that you are failing emmissions). I do not take any responsibility for anyone that does this. All I can say is that it is safe for the engine and it provides a significant performance gain. I'll try to get pics of the engine bay up this weekend!!
BTW, if you are running higher boost, you may need to make sure you're delivering enough fuel though (ie.. Walbro 255 fuel pump)

Last edited by smarsenal; Mar 16, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Excellent contribution smarsenal! I'll have to try that myself
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Here's some pics of my set-up.

Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smarsenal
Here's some pics of my set-up.

the second breather, the one on the left.

Which spot is that the hooked to? I think I know. it goes form the intake mani to the valve cover correct? if it is do you just cap off the niple on the intake mani?

I was about to put a breather on the today but I just want to make sure it was the right one.

thanks.

Also to the OP. I just hooked up this system today and it looks great. thanks for posting this and thanks for your help
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

I have two of the Pegasus catch cans. Using one for the crankcase side makes sense, but I wonder if I should just use a filter on the PCV valve instead of doing a similar setup with two catch cans. Can't seem the harm in it though.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Exactly as you thought. Just cap off the intake manifold (watch the knuckles though, lol), and run the pcv/crankcase side to the breather. The 2 catch can idea is a good one, I just didn't have 2 at the time I did this. I'm going to see how often I need to change the breather before I decide use 2.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two Ebay cans stuffed with SS pot scrubers and some old air compressor hose. PCV valve is inline before the intake manifold. $50 done!

Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
i don't have pics of it, but if you have ever washed/scrubbed a pot, you have surely seen the stuff. then again, this is evom, so i wouldn't be surprised if some had never washed a dish in their life haha.
here is a link to kind of what I used, close enough:
http://images.surlatable.com/surlata...etail/7490.jpg
i am making this catch can (great write up!)... did anyone have trouble unraveling the scouring pad into a single strand like the one shown in this post?
I bought a few pads like this, but when i get it unraveled a few feet, the single strand breaks
I am a little frustrated, what am i doing wrong?
Thank you
Tim
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't really try to get it down to a single strand. Just as long as you can get it inside the can.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

cool i took what you wrote too literal lol!!
thank you for the write up!! this is one of the best diy mods i have seen

Quick Reply: DIY billet oil catch can for about $20