Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

DIY billet oil catch can for about $20

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had anyone ordered this Can and it came incomplete? Mine arrived yesterday with the Can and only one fitting, the top straight one and two clamps....no angled fitting for the side and no valve at the bottom as shown in the picture. Tried calling them, but of course there one and only customer service rep. is on vacation until monday....little disappointed I went this route.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is very disappointing and i'm sorry to hear that. mine came complete. pegasus is usually alot better than that.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure this is a uncommon event and hopfully gets resolved next week. Thanks for responding Hokiruu, just wanted to make sure this was not normal.

EDIT: Pegasus did send out the missing fittings, with no question. A+ customer service.

Last edited by mdsevo06; Jul 6, 2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this DIY hokiruu!!

I built two for myself with a tube running to the bottom of each can.

Here are some pictures of my setup. I have not hooked up the PCV side yet as I need to buy some more hose.

My dirty engine bay.

I found this bracket in my box of junk and it worked perfectly for mounting the catch cans.

The MBC and catch cans match each other nicely...and that is what is important here.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:47 PM

great write up, ill be doing this within the next few days for sure!
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:32 AM

How often do you have to empty these things? And how do you empty them? It looks like the bottom end is hard to get to.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joehunk
How often do you have to empty these things? And how do you empty them? It looks like the bottom end is hard to get to.
I just installed them, so I am not sure how often they will need to be emptied. The previous Breather side only catch can I had was completely empty after a year of use, but that could be due to a poor design. I imagine once I hook up the PCV side it will have something to empy out every couple oil changes.

When it comes time to empty them I will just unscrew the one #4 bolt holding the bracket, lift up the cans (left some slack in the hoses) and drain them into a pan or something.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

It's great to see someone else trying this. Good setup idea Evo IX MR, I'd like to see the whole istallation complete.

They don't really need to be "emptied" very often at all. If you're driving the way most people do you could probably go a years and it still wouldn't over flow or anything. It's not large volumes of oil or anything, but rather fine and consistent oil vapor we're condensing and collecting, so it accumulates very slowly, but would otherwise make a mess in your intake tract.

mdsevo06 did your order get resolved?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it did, they shipped out the missing pieces right away and arrived in only a few day. Great customer service from Pegasus.
Thanks for asking.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

glad to hear it. that sounds more like the pegasus i know.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
It's great to see someone else trying this. Good setup idea Evo IX MR, I'd like to see the whole istallation complete.

They don't really need to be "emptied" very often at all. If you're driving the way most people do you could probably go a years and it still wouldn't over flow or anything. It's not large volumes of oil or anything, but rather fine and consistent oil vapor we're condensing and collecting, so it accumulates very slowly, but would otherwise make a mess in your intake tract.

mdsevo06 did your order get resolved?
Yeah I am sorry I didn't take pictues as I was putting the can together. I will next time as I will be making more.

The only frustrating thing about the Pegasus cans is some of the holes are not threaded real good so no matter what you cannot get the fittings to go in straight or all the way. So one of my cans is perfect and the other is not quite perfect because the bottom drain fitting is not straight or all the way in. It is secure and won't leak though.

Other than that they are pretty easy to put together and install.

Thanks again for the DIY!!!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO-IX-MR
Yeah I am sorry I didn't take pictues as I was putting the can together. I will next time as I will be making more.

The only frustrating thing about the Pegasus cans is some of the holes are not threaded real good so no matter what you cannot get the fittings to go in straight or all the way. So one of my cans is perfect and the other is not quite perfect because the bottom drain fitting is not straight or all the way in. It is secure and won't leak though.

Other than that they are pretty easy to put together and install.

Thanks again for the DIY!!!
that's weird about the fitting tolerances being so high, i didn't notice anything like that but i'm sorry you did. well as long as it works and looks somewhat decent i guess it's doing it's supposed to.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I also noticed the same thing. I can get the straight fitting in about half way and the 90 elbow in only a few threads. Can always try re-tapping it a little, just to clean it up a little.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

thinking back i think i may have had to crank on the fitting quite a bit to get them all the way in as well. i just attributed this to the teflon tape. i figure it's fine as long as it doesn't leak haha!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

I am not unhappy with the Pegasus product at all.

It is really no big deal, I was able to get the fittings in far enough they don't look bad and they function as needed; which is really what is important.

Quick Reply: DIY billet oil catch can for about $20