Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

DIY billet oil catch can for about $20

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not tried that setup, but the same setup should work with these cans. To be totally honest (people are probably going to discredit me and this can setup for this) I only ran the intake side and was about to to the PCV side, but then removed it, only because I was racing in a class where you can't modify emissions systems. I haven't been racing this season, so I probably will do that.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for your help hokiruu.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:04 PM

hey what do you think of high boost forums saying pcv must be relocated to outlet side of catch can to keep catch can from being pressurized during boost??
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TURBO X GSR
hey what do you think of high boost forums saying pcv must be relocated to outlet side of catch can to keep catch can from being pressurized during boost??
I don't know. Can you post a link to the discussion? Either way I guess it would work fine. This is just a can solution, do with it what you please.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

i could only see it possibly being necessary on a catch can on the intake manifold side (pcv-intake manifold, not to air intake). i need to do some reading on this too.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to either relocate PCV to the intake manifold side of the catch can or add a second PCV on the intake manifold side of things. The PCV is a sort of one way valve. You would not need this on the intake side of things as technically that side is always in vacuum and never under boost since it is pre turbo.

In normal operation the PCV is open when your intake manifold is in vacuum and closed when your intake manifold is under boost. If you leave the PCV where it is (on the valve cover) then anything between it and the intake manifold will be under pressure when you are on boost. To eliminate this you would move the PCV to to the intake manifold side. If you do not do this then as your catch can is now pressurized you will need to ensure it can handle the ~20lbs of boost or more and you add yet more places you could get a boost leak.

Some decent discussion about it on my catch can thread.