Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

05 clutch install, alternative method, makes it trivial

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should not need a tool, the front lower balljoint on the evo is a slip fit, not friction, so when you remove the bolt the only resistance will be from the tension in the bushings & swaybar. use caution when reassembling the balljoint as the shaft is keyed & will only allow the bolt to be fully inserted when the orientation to the spindle is correct. the tie rods on the other hand, are friction fit, but you shouldn't have any problem removing these with a universal balljoint popper

Last edited by CharlieGsanD; Jan 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CharlieGsanD
you should not need a tool, the front lower balljoint on the evo is a slip fit, not friction, so when you remove the bolt the only resistance will be from the tension in the bushings & swaybar. use caution when reassembling the balljoint as the shaft is keyed & will only allow the bolt to be fully inserted when the orientation to the spindle is correct. the tie rods on the other hand, are friction fit, but you shouldn't have any problem removing these with a universal balljoint popper
I used an impact wrench and got the nut off the bolt for the lower ball joint. On both sides, I pounded the end of the bolt, and even used an impact wrench to try to move the bolt a little. My impact will not even turn the bolt..even WITHOUT a nut on the other end!!! Is there something I am missing here?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

chances are that when it was removed previously it was not aligned with the notch in the balljoint when it was reinstalled. your going to have to use a hammer on the end of the bolt to get it out. once out the bolt & balljoint will most likely be damaged & need replacment
Old May 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Where do you mark on the steering rack so you can line it back up properly and it not be a tooth off?
Old May 20, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bambooi
Where do you mark on the steering rack so you can line it back up properly and it not be a tooth off?
I marked right around where the spring clamp is.

Last edited by krazykorean84; May 20, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Step 2:
There are two lines that need to be removed. The first is a power steering line; remove the bolt on top of the power steering pump. Now you can pull the line off the pump, be sure not to loose the washer. The power steering line is also held on by a bracket near the motor mount, remove this bracket as well.
There is also a coolant line that I removed, it is back near the strut tower, the rubber line connects to a hard line, at this connection I removed the rubber line. There is also a bracket that holds the rubber line on, remove this bracket as well.

Is there anyway someone can post a picture of what this step means? Where the lines are and all?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

I could really use some help from someone on here who has done this... I so far have followed all the steps and can't seem to get the entire subframe crossmember piece to lower. It falls down a bit then just stops...

Anyone with pictures as well would really help...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Anybody?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you dont even need to remove the subframe to pull the tranny out.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Isn't that the whole point of this particular thread? Dropping the subframe to make dropping the transmission easy?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
If you know how to lift the trans at the right angle, its fairly easy with the sub frame installed. Rear side up first to go over the rear motor mount, then level it out and push it on the block.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 06:45 PM

i wanna add some info to this old *** thread.

this is my 3rd time dropping the tranny. Going to remove subframe for the 1st time. ill post up how it goes.

Tip for removing the outter tie rod from the spindle/knuckle without any special tools other than a big hammer.
1. turn steering wheel to show as much outter tie rod as possible.
2. lossen nut and leave it holding on by a few threads.
3. use your dead blow or big hammer and hit the spindle right by the tie rod. DO NOT HIT THE NUT OR THREADS.
4. after 3-4 good hits itll just pop out with no problem. no torn boots no busted nuts or threads.