Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Tranny removal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny removal

Ok, I am replacing my clutch and shipping my t-case off to shep because it is toast, but I am having an issue. I have everything apart, t-case removed, but I cannot get the tranny off. I have it slid away from the engine about an inch, but it wont come past that point. wtf? I am used to working on hondas, this is my first evo. I followed the instructions to disengage the trow out bearing, but is it possible this is what is holding it on? even if I pull the tranny straight back, it doesn't budge. BTW, the clutch that is currently in there is an exedy triple plate. And hell, if anyone is in Jax, Fl. any help would be fantastic.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:02 PM

anybody with anything?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

dude it is a nightmare, do u have ppl helping u? its a necessity, i stuck a pry bar in there then u have to man handle that thing and out of nowhere it will slip out... took me a long f'in time... never again will i attempt that lol, i also managed to damage my Tcase puttin everything back together and just got it back from Shep..
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

it is possible trow out bearing is holding it on it tool me 30 mins to get that bloody thing off...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:24 PM

well, it was the throw out bearing. I found a picture a guy on here had posted with the pressure plate sitting on the ground that showed exactly how that thing comes off and it was super helpful. When I posted this I had spent 4 hours fighting with the tranny, but today after seeing that pic it took me 15 minutes from when I walked into the garage to have the tranny on the ground... amazing what happens when you know what you are doing!!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you disconnect the clutch fork / TOB?
You have to disconnect the clutch fork by looking the through the hole at the bottom of the transmission (remove the black rubber grommet) otherwise you will never get the transmission off.

EDIT:

Ahh I see that you got it I didn't refresh the page before I posted, well done !

-Bink