Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

any tips on installing tranny and t-case

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
any tips on installing tranny and t-case

well, i'll be putting the tranny and t-case back on the car tomorrow (first time doing evo tranny). i've read a couple of post about throw out bearing popping out after install. does anyone have any advice on how to make sure this doesn't happen, or any other advice on tranny and t-case install. removing it is not bad but you have to be more meticulous on the install.

thanks,
Old Apr 6, 2007, 08:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what ever you do dont not man handle the tranny when you are installing it!!be nice in easy it slips right in.remeber its not a honda. i just got rid of my integra with a k-series turbo in it so i know where you are coming from.i just did the clutch on my evo,it not all that bad.....
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

when you did your evo tranny, did you use a cherry picker or did you jack it up. i'm debating if i want to get the cherry picker out of the shed or not.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Cherry picker" as you put it, works nice... Mine has been in an out that way the last few times. Whatever you do, DO NOT let the input shaft rest in the disc for a split second! It either slides right in, or you have to realign the disc/discs!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
"Cherry picker" as you put it, works nice... Mine has been in an out that way the last few times. Whatever you do, DO NOT let the input shaft rest in the disc for a split second! It either slides right in, or you have to realign the disc/discs!

that would suck having to realign the disk while the tranny is almost in.

thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 05:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well...

our technique has always been (as discussed before)

use a cherry picker from up top... with two ratchet straps... one around the outter part of trans and one closer to/around the bell housing.... doing this, allows you to spin the trans while its in the straps...

also....there is a trick to putting the transfer case in, you can do that last... get the trans on, connect the side motor mounts... leave the rear dogbone mount unhooked, pivot the motor forward (have someone pull forward on the oil pan, once its pivoted forwarded you can fish the TC right up and into place.

hope this helps....

cb
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CBRD's the man! without him my tranny never would've gotten in, heed his advice, it works. also, a good idea to keep a ratchet/socket on the crank pulley for when you're putting the input shaft in, so you can turn the clutch disc slightly if you need to for it to line up while you're sliding it in.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

well, finally got the car back together. took about 6 hours. almost gave up at one point after trying to line the tranny up for a hour. finally gave my dad a call for a helping hand (he's a diesel mechanic at a trucking company, he knows all the tricks). thanks for all the tips guys. it feels so good to drive the car again after 2 months of sitting on jacks.

i threw the t-case on while the tranny was off (lots more room and the t-case just slide in) and strap it towards the passenger side and out off the way for the tranny to bolt up. after the tranny is on, un-strap the t-case and bolt it to the tranny. that part was cake, the worse part is lining up the tranny to the engine.