Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

HOW TO: Buschur Racing catch can.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the can mount over the relay or is the relay moved?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by shunderwunder
Does the can mount over the relay or is the relay moved?
The relay is just moved.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

That's kinda what I thought. It just wasn't mentioned.I'll be installing mine soon. lucky for me my motor is out of the car so the dipsick tube will be a quick n easy swap
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by shunderwunder
lucky for me my motor is out of the car so the dipsick tube will be a quick n easy swap
The dipstick is an easy swap anyway. In or out of the car.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Figured I would give an update on this can. After I installed it, I sold the car. I put right at 3000 miles on it I believe. During that time, I had a concern with it because I was noticing the "water/oil mix" symtoms. I was told that it was fine and that it was just condinsation build up. Well since I sold the car, I never gave it much thought. I removed the can and several other items before selling tho.

I bought a 05 GTO after the Evo was sold, and modified this catch can to be use in it over the summer. The only thing I had to do was bend the mounting tab on the can downward some more, and to drain the can into something as there isnt anywhere for it to drain back in to the pan. And it is a good thing I did so.

The catch can has been on my car for roughly 5000 miles now (4100ish were drained into a containor, the rest just drained on the ground), and the whole time it has been draining into a clear, sealed containor in the bottom of my engine bay. I removed this containor 2 weeks ago and was shocked. There were 4 ounces of water, actual water and not a sludge mix or anything. there was some slight oil residue in it but mostly all water. That comes out to 1 ounce of water every 1000 miles. In my opinion, that can not be good under any circumstances. And that also explains why my Evo always showed signs of water contamination in the oil.

I caution anyone that has this can and has it draining back into their oil pans. PLEASE keep a close eye out for water contamination. I would hate for anyone to have an engine failure due to it. This could be due to something like my geographical location and/or high humidity, but either way, keep an eye out.

I still like the can tho, as it does work. But I will not run it back into the oil pan again.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

i found this same issue. the first time i found white junk inside my oil cap and i could c it inside the valve cover. i traced it back to the catch can. so i ran seafoam and this cleared my engine up. i changed oil right away. i figured moisture was getting in through the top filter so i replaced it with a long hose that i ran down pointed twards the ground.

all was well till my last oil change. i found the milky substance on my dipstick. it was only where the drain down hole was. luckly i caught it before it got any farther. i now have the drain down capped off so it just works like a regular catch can.

i just pm'd dave about this as its a great looking product with a good theory but i think im gonna take it off the car.

to others running it id check ur catch can.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoxsi
i just pm'd dave about this as its a great looking product with a good theory but i think im gonna take it off the car.
I took mine off the GTO (sold the GTO for a Z06) I currently am not running it anymore. Loved it, but I bought one specific for the Vette. I will sell it if someone is interested.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

How could you "love it" if you where getting a bunch a water back into your car. Sounds kinda like its better to be able to dump the blow ie different catch can set up. I was looking into this can. No I'm a oil skeptical. Any more thoughts?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I loved that it worked as a catch can. If you read my post a few up, you see I cautioned anyone running the drain back into the oil pan. The condensation gets drained into the oil too. It does work tho. I have had catch cans not do their job and are just a pretty piece of waste space.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump

i just bought this, and wanted to know if anyone has pics of removing this adapter thing that is part of the pcv valve. i would really hate to have to remove the valve cover cuz something went wrong, especially because i will be working on the car on a military base and there is no auto parts store around
Old May 8, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rick1024
bump

i just bought this, and wanted to know if anyone has pics of removing this adapter thing that is part of the pcv valve. i would really hate to have to remove the valve cover cuz something went wrong, especially because i will be working on the car on a military base and there is no auto parts store around

It really wasnt difficult to remove. I know I forgot to snap a picture of that step, but it is as simple as it sounds. You just use the head/valve cover for leverage, but be sure to use a protective cloth of some sort between the pry bar and the head/valve cover.