Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Battery Relocate Cable Routing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would like to route mine down the driver side of the car to the trunk inside the car...any suggestions on routing to get the wires from the engine bay to the driverside floor board?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
run it through the firewall where the steering wheel column goes through and then underneath the carpet where your pedals are then run it right to the back through the side.. rip the plastic pieces up and the carpet comes right up.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

through the steering column grommet? That seems a bit hairy IMO... are there any OTHER spots?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

There is a grommet hole on the passenger side next to the ABS and behind the strut. It is hard to get to, but a great hole to move wires into the inside of the car. All of mine go in there. It is about the diameter of a quarter.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JDavenport
OK, using search I've found several nice threads on mounting a trunk relocated battery, something I plan to do soon.

But I can find very little on the methods and approaches of routing the postive cable back to the engine bay and neatly re-terminating everything.

Anybody got a good write up with PICS on best method(s) to route the wiring?
Not much to it. Be smart and creative when pulling the wire through. Anytime i run wires through, whether its running a cable for the amp, speakers, or anything related electronics, ill always find my own ways to make the cable least visible. And make sure cable is away from any moving parts.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:17 PM
Former Sponsor

already have 2 vac lines going through there + boost controller cable so i had to use steering column. theres no big deal with the steering column .. i ran my fuel pump wire through it, and etc.. but use whatever you feel more comfortable with of course.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on what gauge wire you use, you should be able to get a plastic gromet from any automotive place. Take a Stepbit, or unibit, and a decent drill..make you're own hole. Did one for a friend in his mustang and we used an 0/1 gauge amp kit.lol Came with a gromet.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Just routed mine today. Heres how I did mine, and I highly recommend it to everyone. I routed it through the main grommet used for the fuse box wiring harness.

Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not a bad idea. Pics of your trunk w/ battery.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:16 AM
Former Sponsor

ill get a pic later on, i just woke up. I still need to finish tightening the battery down etc. my car was idling different and everything though vs the small battery. the small batteries are a joke.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

How is everyone tying up the connections in the engine bay? It is great to be able to hide the cables going to the back of the car, but the pile of wires in the engine bay is the difficult thing to make look good.

I agree with the mini battery not being all that great. Typically they only last maybe 2 years if you are lucky (on a daily driver). They also have issues with cold starts if the battery isn't "new".

I will be doing the relocation to the trunk after I return from the land of sand. Optima battery will go in.

Has anyone played with location in the trunk for better weight distribution when corner weighting the car ? ? ?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ran under the rear seat to door sills and then through the driver's door grommet, over the fender liner and into the bay.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Appauldd
How is everyone tying up the connections in the engine bay? It is great to be able to hide the cables going to the back of the car, but the pile of wires in the engine bay is the difficult thing to make look good.

I agree with the mini battery not being all that great. Typically they only last maybe 2 years if you are lucky (on a daily driver). They also have issues with cold starts if the battery isn't "new".

I will be doing the relocation to the trunk after I return from the land of sand. Optima battery will go in.

Has anyone played with location in the trunk for better weight distribution when corner weighting the car ? ? ?
I will take pics of mine later today and show you. The way mines setup is clean, you cant even see where it connects under the hood.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

and yes I was stupid enough to cut the long rod bolts thinking they werent gonna clear the rear emission canister stuff under the car.. I didnt even notice the top of the lid had holes for them to go up through LOL.
I did install a vent tube as well thats going outside with its own hole drilled in trunk as well.. even with a dry cell you should still vent. I vented specifically because I transport 30gal of e85 in trunk
everytime i fill up, so i didnt want to take any chances there.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jul 26, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Clean.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocate Cable Routing