Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Battery Relocate Cable Routing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Battery Relocate Cable Routing

OK, using search I've found several nice threads on mounting a trunk relocated battery, something I plan to do soon.

But I can find very little on the methods and approaches of routing the postive cable back to the engine bay and neatly re-terminating everything.

Anybody got a good write up with PICS on best method(s) to route the wiring?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did one on a previous car i would say the best way to do it is either run it along the drivers side close to the door under the carpet obviously. The other way ive done it is run it under the car in a protective covering away from moving parts. hope that helps
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeaks
i did one on a previous car i would say the best way to do it is either run it along the drivers side close to the door under the carpet obviously. The other way ive done it is run it under the car in a protective covering away from moving parts. hope that helps
Anybody else done the under the car route?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend did his under the car. I will get more info from him for you when he gets back in town. But he said it was really easy, and it looks very good. I'll get back to you.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

I've done under the car on an accord.. haven't looked under the evo. but accourd had a plastic grate around the fuel lines which the battery cable tucked in nicely to.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldnt run it under the carpet with a heavy gauge wire. Go under the car, make sure to wrap it and tuck it very good. I used a plastic conduit then wrapped the entire "harness" with a good amount of electrical tape to water proof it then pinned it up underneath the car.

This was on an older car but I will be doing it in the next couple weeks to my Evo also
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i did a taylor relocation kit to the trunk, went up a battery group size due to a 1200x2 amp and 2 10" subs in the trunk....used wiring conduit from trunk to under hood so nothin shorts it out...went the under carpet route had it installed in less then 4 hours taking my time doin it right with the help of a stereo installer next to my job....as far as under hood used the positive battery terminal cover wrapped it in multiple layers of eletrical tape, and used the ground wire to hook up to where my battery tray box used to bolt on too grinded the paint off for good grounding point for the most part has been very good except in rainy conditions, need to go buy my underpanel for the engine bay...
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

hey what sizing wiring would be fine i was thinking for -2 ought and are you runing the ground back or grounding in the trunk. and as for the multi fuse terminal on the battery leave that in the engine bay and use a 200amp breaker at the battery?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:40 AM

http://www.gndtuners.com/batteryrelocation.html

I did it on my Evo, the procedure should be similar on the newer ones.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by luvnish
http://www.gndtuners.com/batteryrelocation.html

I did it on my Evo, the procedure should be similar on the newer ones.
nice write up but what about the ground wires in the bay wouldnt you want to run that to the battery also?

and if not just find a good ground and ground them all there.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you can ground it anywhere on the car practically. the entire evo is grounded once you sand the top surface of the paint down to the bare metal. I bought a Taylor Cable 48103 Aluminum Battery Box from amazon... $152 shipped, better then anywhere else on the internet. I recommend a optima redtop or yellow since its a dry cell battery and wont release any fumes/gases, and if it does theres a vent hose that comes with the kit anyways so it will vent to where-ever you run the hose to. It seems any evo with an alarm system will put a beating on the mini batteries, and i had mine 100% charged with a slow 2amp charge and it still managed to die in 3 days.. so screw mini batteries.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I routed mine through the interior of car under the plastic covers that run along the rear and front passenger side door. Then down through the hole on passenger floor(not the firewall hole, there's another) and up over the axle right into the engine bay compartment.

I covered the line with wireloom for added saftey.

Install should only take 30mins - 1 hr. Very easy install.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wtf_is_a_evo
nice write up but what about the ground wires in the bay wouldnt you want to run that to the battery also?

and if not just find a good ground and ground them all there.
No need. The wires are already grounded to the chassis. You just ground the battery in the trunk area. There is a 14mm bolt that you can use to ground the battery. As others have said, shave the paint off in direct contact of the bolt.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I planned on routing mine through the steering column area.. thats where i route everything LOL. I have a little hole sliced in the boot. Then I rip up the side panels near the door and run it through the side of the car.. just like you explained i believe. Ya should be cake to do. I will pm you about the SD now I almost forgot.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah^ that's even easier. The final spot is driver side anyways.
The following users liked this post:
juanraulgarcia (Jul 20, 2016)

Quick Reply: Battery Relocate Cable Routing