Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Question on catch can install

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on catch can install

I bought a catch can and like on all cans there is two holes, but all the pics I see everybody is only using one which is connected to the valve cover on the side. What is 2nd hole for?????
Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

It should go back to the intake pipe but many don't like to do that. If you do, be sure to have some baffling in your can to catch the airborn particulates. If it isn't baffled the way it came, put some loose (but not crumbling) stainless brillo pad or something of that nature in it.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:30 PM

Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between
what "particulates" are you referring to?...oil droplets in the vapor?

what would you use to plug the spigot at the hose back to the intake?
Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, oil particulates and whatever else has gotten in there.
What spigot are you referring to? The catch can should be routed back to the intake the way it was before without the can. You want to have the intake pull vacuum on it to evacuate it better. The can is just to hold the particulates. Some people just cap the oil taps into the intake pipe. That can be done with rubber caps you can get from most auto parts stores. They have some just for this kind of application.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:35 AM

Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between
By "spigot," I meant the point of attachment back at the intake is all...poor terminology on my part.

What other particulates would be in that flow anyway, unless there was a vacuum leak pulling dust or something in somewhere?

I guess the reason some folks don't reroute the tubing from the exit port on the can and back into the intake tract is because they don't want the possibility of ANY oil to be making its way back in that way? I don't see any particular advantage in not hooking it back up if the can is doing its job correctly....am I missing something?

thanks....
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

I didnt hook min up back to the intake.. It doesnt hurt performace does it?
Old Dec 15, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Then why hook the can up at all? I thought it should be hooked up in series, not as terminator. If you only use one line to go in, and none to come out, then why use it at all?
Old Dec 16, 2003, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Why?? so that the oil doesnt go back into the intake. you dont want it to come out. Thats the point of a catch can.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by w2pac12345
I didnt hook min up back to the intake.. It doesnt hurt performace does it?
I certainly don't think it hurts performance if you don't hook the can back up to the intake plumbing....but it's probably not strictly "smog legal" that way, and if the can is really doing its job by removing the oil from the air stream, then it won't hurt to hook it back up from the outlet port of the can to the inlet plumbing, either

just boils down to a personal decision if you ask me...but the thing is, if you don't hook it back up, how is a vacuum being applied to pull the vapor into the can in the first place??....
Old Dec 16, 2003, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by colateralgees
just boils down to a personal decision if you ask me...but the thing is, if you don't hook it back up, how is a vacuum being applied to pull the vapor into the can in the first place??....
That's my point... why bother collecting oil with a $100 can? Just remove the hose...
Old Dec 16, 2003, 08:36 PM

yeah, I see your point...I guess the only reason to "can it" instead of plugging it or just putting on a breather filter is to keep it completely smog-legal, you know, "green"...

too late for me anyway, tho'....I already bought a Perrin, and that sucker's going on!.....hehhehheh