Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to: Installing JDM Plate Bracket with JDM hardware

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah no ****... what a let down and waist of money....
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I sent him an email asking about that part you mentioned. I too bought all of these parts and hardware, so you're not the only one!

We'll see what he says.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:28 AM

Sounds good man. I figured I'd just try running through my local guy as everyone has made it sound that russel is pretty much impossible to contact now that they aren't a vendor...
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Really? I called him on Wednesday and ordered a part, it wasn't a big deal.

I'll follow-up in this thread if I hear back. At some point I need to do this too, so getting this sorted out would be good for the community.

Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:09 PM

Golgo, what are you running for a crash beam? Im in the midst of modifying my stock one to use with the jdm bumper. From looking at the picture of that jdm spec evo I posted and usdm cars with modded or aftermarket crash beams, Im thinking that the crash bar will be sitting in the exact spot that bracket is in. It also looks to be around the same distance out from the rear of the car. Im thinking attaching the licence plate bracket to the crash beam is gonna be our best and easiest way. It does look like the crash beam is a little further out then the jdm bracket but with a little more modifying it should work....?

Last edited by Boostin_AWD; Jun 14, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
EvoM Community Team

I have a modified USDM crash beam that's been cut and welded.

Drilling some holes and threading them for the bracket might not be a bad idea.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:56 PM

That's going to be the route I'll venture down. I'll make sure to take pictures of my findings.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
this makes me want a jdm rear so bad. aside from the bumper, do you really need to purchase all of the extra little parts in order to install it?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:38 PM

No, do a quick search and you'll find countless members who have modified the usdm parts to "work" with the jdm bumper. This thread is about making the jdm parts work. As golgo more or less mentioned, modifying the usdm parts leaves the licence plate and licence plate lights out of place and seeming incorrectly installed.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

^

Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
thanks for clearing that up
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:46 AM

One new update, usdm licence plate lights are not the same as the ones used in the jdm bracket. I have a spare set of the correct ones if anyone needs them. I should be throwing it on today and then figuring out the licence plate bracket assuming my exhaust clears and I don't have to jump that hoop as well...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

I'll take them, PM me your PayPal.

So, no reply from Russell, I think he's super busy... he's notorious for not being available. Either way, with the USDM crash beam in there the part you listed won't fit so I think drilling and possibly threading some holes in the crash beam makes the most sense.

I'm sure there are a lot of people shaking their heads at this whole plate fiasco.

In the end I think it will be worth it, especially if anyone else ended up ordering all these parts like we did.

Do you have the part number for the JDM license plate lights so people can order them?

Last edited by golgo13; Jun 20, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:59 AM

Yeah my crash beam is up and its in the exact spot where that bracket goes. Lucky for me my exhaust is hitting the bumper so I've got to get it cut down now. The part number on the lights is MR322869, you need two. Also need the grommets that sit in the plate that the light screws into, MB132008, you need two of those.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went down this road installing these bumpers several years ago. We had a jdm 7 to compare to. On the Japanese car there is no crash beam and in the same occupied space there is a sheet metal plate as best as I can describe anyways. It's part of the frame in the rear painted the factory color. It has the provisions to mount the plate bracket. And as was stated previously, your usdm lights and plate will not match up to the mounting holes on their respective brackets. To be honest what you are trying to do really doesn't work. You could easily have a fabricator make you a clean looking plate to center it and put it at the proper depth, that's what I used to do for them anyways. At the end it will look much better then when you drill extra holes in your usdm license plate to mount it.

Quick Reply: How to: Installing JDM Plate Bracket with JDM hardware