Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To Tune Your Greddy Profec B spec II

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PVD04
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that the limiter value was the amount that your set value would be lowered by, so rather than setting it to your set value minus 4%, it should just be set to 4%. From the instructions:
I think you're right, I remember that part being a little cryptic in the book.
Unfortunately, I don't have the manual or my evo to play with right now since I'm in the middle of being PCS-ed to Germany.

I'll go ahead and change it in my post, though. Unless anybody else chimes in to the contrary...

Last edited by arpad; Sep 1, 2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Just last night I was searching all over for this thread and here it is.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:53 AM

I installed my Profed b last night. And tried to set it up along the lines of this writeup. But had a problem. No matter what setting i input, or if the unit in on or off i only boost to 8psi. I checked everything and its all connected nice and tight. No leaks that i can find. But i also noticed another thing with it. i tried to set the display to psi, but it never displays the psi or khpa on the bottom right. And when its jsut sitting there under normal driving it doesnt show boost, just shows 2, then goes to 3, then to 4. over the course of a few min. then stops.
Also on one of the install writeups here it was said to connect the 'com' hose to the turbo nipple, and the 'no' hose to the wastegate. But in the instructions it was'no to the turbo, and 'com' to the wastegate (which is how i connected it)
i removed all 3 plastic caps from the valve. t'd the signial from the frp.
the only thing i think may be causing a problem, is since i places the profec in the clock area the back is kind of tight up aginst the brace in the back, so that might be causing a hard bend in the vac hose going to the unit. Would that cause these problems? I'm going to pull it out some more after work. But thought it may be something else.. Any ideas?
Old Nov 17, 2004, 03:54 PM

Lightbulb

Robbyh, if you left all 3 open on the solenoid, then that is your problem...

you should have the com, and no hooked up and the other opening capped
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:09 PM

Cool

Leave your Cap in guys, unless you want serious spiking... and actually there is a "note" in the instructions from Greddy that mention this...

Also, can anyone post a PIC of where they are getting the pressure reading from... ( the 4mm hose into the T ) I think I used the wrong location...
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:17 PM

Problem ended up being that the vac hose coming intot the profec was kinked. Not allowing the pressuer to be meetered correctly. Once i fixed that it works like a charm..
Althought sometimes i get the warning lights and sounds at like 16psi. And yes i do make sure to push a button turn the dials ect. when i start the car. So not sure why. And its not always only sometimes.. any ideas?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DfWeVo
Leave your Cap in guys, unless you want serious spiking... and actually there is a "note" in the instructions from Greddy that mention this...

Also, can anyone post a PIC of where they are getting the pressure reading from... ( the 4mm hose into the T ) I think I used the wrong location...
CAP to what? My Greddy Profec B Spec II spikes a lot higher then I want it to. I had someone install it for me a few months ago. Now that it is cold, it easily spikes to 1.6 bar. I have it programed around 1.35.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:56 PM

If you look on the solenoid that was installed, there are 3 holes . 1 goes to your COM, 1 goes to your NO, and the other one should be OPEN. I know some people say closed ( including myself at one point ), but I promise you that it should be open/ not capped.

realizing you didnt install it, try looking around your air intake for a 2"x3" black box that has 2 hoses hooked into it, and a little black 2 pair wire hooked to it ( signal from the controller )

.. hope this helps..

Last edited by DfWeVo; Dec 5, 2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well the headaches had just started for me... after reading this I realized that all my bost spikes problems has to do with the Profec B and not to other sources of problems... My boost is spiking like crazy, and before reading this I had it a bit under control, but now I know how to handle it...

Thanks for this post...

Doing some search really pays off...
Old Mar 10, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Hands down to a great write up, I just picked up a Greddy Profec B-II, and will be attempting to install and tune it this weekend. Thank you everyone for all your input on this matter.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure to subscribe to this thread so you can find it easy.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:19 AM

Great post, thanks for the write-up.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:40 PM

If you look on the solenoid that was installed, there are 3 holes . 1 goes to your COM, 1 goes to your NO, and the other one should be OPEN. I know some people say closed ( including myself at one point ), but I promise you that it should be open/ not capped.
I concur with this approach, as my experience with the Greddy unit corroborates this:
When I first installed the unit on my car, I couldn't get the turbo to boost past the factory default setting, no matter what adjustments I made to the unit itself.
It wasn't until I removed the cap from the 3rd hole that things started to work properly.

Many thanks to Arpad for the extremely detailed write up, as it has taken a lot of the guesswork out of this mysterious little black box.
I was totally unaware of the need to "interact" with the unit upon start up, otherwise the unit will default to a 14.5psi warning. Now that I think about it, this makes so much sense in regards to boosting anomolies I was experiencing.
This little tidbit is utterly crucial to prevent the owner from ripping their hair out.

By far, the best "how to" thread I have ever read on tuning the Spec II.

Many Thanks!

Last edited by Reptile; Apr 11, 2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 03:12 PM

solenoid

They left my "NO" slot open and the others got tubes in'em. it works right, maybe, not sure. sooo now what?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Move the tubes to the correct ports. (No and Com) And leave the third port open.

Quick Reply: How To Tune Your Greddy Profec B spec II