Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Help/Input Needed: Exhaust Manifold fitment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help/Input Needed: Exhaust Manifold fitment

Hey guys, I recently picked up a Megan Racing exhaust manifold and I'm stuck as to how I'm suppose to get this last nut on (attaches manifold to turbo). I've read the reviews talking about their poor quality/cracks but I didn't see any complaints about fitment. Any idea as to how I could resolve this? I tried lifting up the manifold and putting the nut on, but it doesn't fit. I'm contemplating dremeling off part of the stud, but I'd rather not do that. Will I be able to run it without putting this last nut on, or will I have a crazy exhaust leak?
All input appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Help/Input Needed: Exhaust Manifold fitment-1e498d7b-6d8b-4ea7-9dc5-b434fbaecc5e.jpg  
Old Jan 18, 2017, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Honestly I would suggest getting a better quality manifold. If you are on a budget even the FP manifold would be a great option. But if you are dead set on this one you could try pulling the manifold forward a bit, leaving just enough for you to thread the nut. If that doesn't work, then a little massaging in that area will do the trick.

I notice you are from Hawaii. Where exactly are you from?
The following users liked this post:
Blakesterone (Jan 18, 2017)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
As stated above.
Loosen all nuts, back off manifold so you can install that corner one. Then run them all down evenly.
The following users liked this post:
Blakesterone (Jan 18, 2017)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I considered picking up a quality made stock-frame manifold but I plan on running a forward facing setup once I finish getting my degree in a year and didn't feel like investing money in a part I'm going to soon part ways with (my justification for the Megan manifold was I needed replacement gaskets which would've been around $40-80 with shipping, figured I'd just spend a bit more and get a manifold to squeeze out a little power with the stock turbo setup). I ended up pulling out the turbo and mounting it while off the car and still couldn't manage to thread the nut. I took some pictures of it and I'm gonna try contact the vendor I purchased it from, hopefully I'll be able to get a refund. Thanks for the input though!
I'm also on Oahu (Hawaii Kai). You're the first person I've seen from Hawaii on here lol. If you haven't already, there's a pretty active local evo facebook group with around 300 members you should check out (808evo)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Nice! I'm in Kalihi. Yeah I tried joining but I think they are denying my request since I don't have any pictures of my car on fb. Oh well. Best of luck on your build.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakesterone
Yeah, I considered picking up a quality made stock-frame manifold but I plan on running a forward facing setup once I finish getting my degree in a year and didn't feel like investing money in a part I'm going to soon part ways with (my justification for the Megan manifold was I needed replacement gaskets which would've been around $40-80 with shipping, figured I'd just spend a bit more and get a manifold to squeeze out a little power with the stock turbo setup).
What ive learned over the years and many many projects is not to waste my time with temporary parts. if you want to go forward facing in a couple years, you are better off not wasting the money on a ****ty manifold you plan to replace soon and just put that money in the bank for the parts you actually want.
the hands on install experience is worth a lot though.