Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, whatever works! I've noticed recently after installing the filter, I no longer get that mildew smell coming out of the vents everytime it rains. And for those of you that *****ed about how unnecessary this filter is, Oh well.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Nice write-up! Thanks for taking the time to document it.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed mine today. It rocks!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great idea on the 3M Filtrete filter! The Mitsubishi filter is not going to filter a lot of micronic paticles, like dust and pollen. I took a close-up look at the Mits filter material and hell, there are gaps in the material close to 2mm in size! That's going to stop mice and Japanese beetles from flying out of your air vents, but I'm not sure what else.

I may try to modify the plastic frame of the original Mits filter to hold and support a cutout of 3M material, or if you can find a way to bind some foam rubber around the edges of the 3M material, it'd be air-tight just like the Mits filter - and a hell of a lot cheaper and effective.

I know, I know, this is getting way too **** about the filter thing, but I really miss my Accord micron filter that actually filtered out particles (and that's about all I miss).
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deca Auto
Luckily the filter I bought came with wire on it.

I used flexible duct tape to cover the blower box and it works great.

And I put my air freshener pad on top of the filter so the air blown out smells oh so sweet!
It cost about 16 dollars for the 3M filter but this mod was well worth it! btw the filter I cut out was about 9inx9in and it fit pretty snug.
i just picked up a 3m filtrete #1250 also but i got the larger 20x25x1 size, its the same price $15.97 they also have a $4 mail in rebate right now because the claim of being the best 1" filter i guess is false, so theres a chance to save a few more $.

n00dle: thanks for the how to article.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Someone please post filter dimensions!

Originally Posted by Deca Auto
Can someone please measure the aprox. demensions of the oem filter? LxWxH
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but as an allergy sufferer, I want to put a real 3M Filtrete or similar filter in this location where Mitsubishi cheaped out on our 03 Evos and left out a filter. Rolling my own filter will surely save money and should filter things better if sealed properly with some weatherstripping, but I need exact dimensions.

To this end, could someone *please* take 2 seconds and measure the dimensions of the filter part? (Mitsubishi part number MN185231). I've googled in vain. Thanks a ton.

Regards,
Adam
Old Aug 16, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I was unimpressed with the quality - or lack thereof - of the Mitsubishi filtering material, too. I would think the best way to address this would be to purchase the actual Mitsubishi filter, and then supplement it by replacing the filtering material with something of higher caliber, like the 3M stuff. The Mits filter has a plastic frame that you could use to ensure a perfect fit - just come up with an arrangement for attaching the 3M stuff within the plastic frame.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
I was unimpressed with the quality - or lack thereof - of the Mitsubishi filtering material, too. I would think the best way to address this would be to purchase the actual Mitsubishi filter, and then supplement it by replacing the filtering material with something of higher caliber, like the 3M stuff. The Mits filter has a plastic frame that you could use to ensure a perfect fit - just come up with an arrangement for attaching the 3M stuff within the plastic frame.
Thanks for the tip...I'm actually seeking to save money too, as the finest 3M filter costs less than $20 and the mitsu filter is $50-plus, so if someone could still take a measurement, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks....anyone?

-Adam
Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, I'd like to know the dimensions as well! would this help cut down on the insane amount of dust that collects in the interior?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Is that where all the dust comes from?

My car is dusty as **** all the time

Bump for a measurement...........

And why didnt tey do this on the 2003's? they sure as hell have a cut out for it,,, did they just forget to do this?

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

wow excellent write up. i'm just going to use the 3m from homedepot and the flexible duct tape!! as for the dimensions I'll just experiment and get it as snug as possible!
Old Aug 17, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SirAragorn
yeah, I'd like to know the dimensions as well! would this help cut down on the insane amount of dust that collects in the interior?
Let it be known that EJ is willing to tear down his car just to get his Evo bretheren measurements :

8.75" deep

8.5" wide

1" tall

Be aware that there are some tabs in the back of the filter receptacle that *may* interfere with a solid brick of those dimensions from fitting - the plastic frame of the stock filter has a lip of about 1" at the top back of the filter (depth-wise) that *may* slide over top of those tabs and rest on them.

I installed my filter a year ago, and it was filthy! A leaf, a few bugs, fuzzy lint-like stuff (probably from poplar trees), and just generally dark dirt has collected on the rather porous stock filter material. I may take the leap and try to modify the plastic frame to accept a hunk of 3M Filtrete material. If I do it, I'll report back the method.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
Let it be known that EJ is willing to tear down his car just to get his Evo bretheren measurements :

8.75" deep

8.5" wide

1" tall

Be aware that there are some tabs in the back of the filter receptacle that *may* interfere with a solid brick of those dimensions from fitting - the plastic frame of the stock filter has a lip of about 1" at the top back of the filter (depth-wise) that *may* slide over top of those tabs and rest on them.

I installed my filter a year ago, and it was filthy! A leaf, a few bugs, fuzzy lint-like stuff (probably from poplar trees), and just generally dark dirt has collected on the rather porous stock filter material. I may take the leap and try to modify the plastic frame to accept a hunk of 3M Filtrete material. If I do it, I'll report back the method.
Above and beyond the call of duty, you have gone good sir! Thanks so much for being the one to finally post dimensions on this part. Sounds like you may be joining me in "prototyping" a 3M filtrete filter for your Evo too. Off to the hardware store I go. I'll report the results of my install here if I get it to work satisfactorily.

I'm concerned a tiny bit about how I will "brace" the non-cardboard-reinforced sides I will have to deal with after I cut the filter to spec, but I plan to make liberal use of weatherstripping and duct tape to make this work better, too.

Thanks all!

Regards,
Adam
Old Aug 19, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Here's my thought, if you aren't in possession of an existing stock plastic filter housing: I'm thinking that you may be able to bend some coat hanger wire, using needle nose pliers, in the needed shape and attach it to the filter material using a few pieces of good quality duct tape. I'm not sure how much pressure is going to be put on the middle part of the filter - the stock plastic filter cage has some pretty hefty plastic ribs supporting the material in the middle. I'm thinking a cross member of wire coat hanger would be more than sufficient to do the trick.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well did mine the other day.

Very simple,,, used the 3m filter from my house a/c. but from a NEW panel.

I dont recommend using a air freshner over the filter. I notice about half of the fan strength with the air freshner ontop of the 3m filter. I took it out and bammmmm full air flow.

Nice little mod.... keeps the dust down for sure!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter