Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJEvo
I would think the best way to address this would be to purchase the actual Mitsubishi filter, and then supplement it by replacing the filtering material with something of higher caliber, like the 3M stuff. The Mits filter has a plastic frame that you could use to ensure a perfect fit - just come up with an arrangement for attaching the 3M stuff within the plastic frame.
This is exactly what I'm going to do. After my filter gets really dirty, I'm going to cut out the middle and buy some 3M Filtrate to fill the frame
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
This is exactly what I'm going to do. After my filter gets really dirty, I'm going to cut out the middle and buy some 3M Filtrate to fill the frame
Hey everyone, I was able to do this mod in about 40mins of time. I have 3 pictures that I took, but I need someone to host it for me...please PM me your email address so I can send it to you.

In short here are the steps and what you need:

1. Sissors or Utility Knife
2. Original Cabin Air Filter's frame - #MN185231
3. 3M Filtrete
4. Duct Tape (optional)

Steps:
1. Cut out the 3 paper filter sections of the orignial Cabin Air Filter
2. Trim the top of the 2 parallel plastic frames to half of its height.
3. Cut the appropriate size out of the 3M Filtrete
4. Fit the 3M cutout onto the parallel frame. Use Duct Tape on the corner edges if you would like.

For #4 I didn't use tape b/c I cut out a bit more 3M than needed and snuggley fit the filter into the frame.

So with this mod, a 16x20x1 size 3M Filtrete can potentially get you 9 months of filtering material.

EDIT: After thinking about what I just did, here are some tips to make this even easier...

1. you can probably skip step 2...you can just use the 3M bends and place it over the uncut frame..it should still fit
2. Please note that the 3M filter is also directional specific, make sure the filter is not placed upside-down on the frame!
3. I would do this mod outside if you have a dirty original Mitsubishi filter...I was sneezing like crazy and I got some crazy looking dead bugs on my carpet.

Enjoy

Last edited by mdosu; Sep 19, 2005 at 07:32 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:07 PM

Stupid Question..... How do i get the glove box off?

Please, I think it just snaps out, but i dont want to break anything.... looked in the manual,,, nothing....
...I'ts an '04 if that matters....

thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HezEVO?
Please, I think it just snaps out, but i dont want to break anything.... looked in the manual,,, nothing....
...I'ts an '04 if that matters....

thanks.
This is the best I can explain without pictures...

1. open the glove box and let it sit open by itself.

2. observe how the box sits on a rubber stopper/plastic clip on the top left side so it doesn't open all the way upside down...
(in reference to where this clip is, on the big yellow Air Bag sticker in the glove box, start at the "A" of Airbox word in the title and go left until you hit the side, that's the clip right there.

3. reach to the outside of the glove box opposite where this clip is, and push against the rubber stopper to the right and push it slightly towards the direction to the rear of car...(so you're pushing to the right side and if you're sitting in the seat while doing this, towards you at the same time.)

4. It should unclip with minimum pushing effort. Then slightly sway and bend the glove box to the left to unhook the right clip and if done correctly...if you let go, the glove box will just hang upside down and dump all your crap onto the floor...lol ...then I'm pretty sure you can take it on from there...

I'm kind of stupid, so it took me a good while to figure this out.

btw..You have an 04..doesn't it already come with a filter? You don't have to take the box out to find out...

Last edited by mdosu; Oct 28, 2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:44 PM

thanks! i'm gonna try it here in a minute,,,,

yeah, mine came with a filter, but i need to replace it, cuz i'm at 20k and my fan is "wheezing" a little, i bet that sucker is dirty.

thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

^^ cool, let me know if you have more troubles taking it off..I tried my best without pics..lol.

yeah, you'll be surprised how dirty that will be...I suggust modding it with the 3M filter like what we all suggested in this thread.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

wow good mod seriously lol
Old Jan 14, 2006, 04:15 PM

This is probably going to help the 03 evo owners who did not get the filter from the factory.

Use a razor or a sharp flathead screwdriver to cut out the plate on the filter housing. Try to make sure its still intact and can cover the space again. Next, use a piece of art cardboard or whatever they call it (the white side/green side stuff) and place the plate you just cut on top of it. Cut out the cardboard, remembering to leave room at the top left and bottom right for the screw ancors.

This part is up to you how you do it, but there should be a guide little nub on the bottom right of the filter housing, right next to the screw location. Punch a hole in the cardboard and make sure you have enough room for both screws. Now, this is a little tricky, but you now need to make sure that you are going to mount the plate in the middle, where it originally came out.

Once you have everything lined up, use a line of hot glue or equivilent to hold the plate to the cardboard. Go back, pop the filter in, and mount everything up.

Here are a couple pics of mine. Hope this helps someone out and thank to all the previous posts. Very good stuff.

Thanks for the measurements EJ
Attached Thumbnails Cabin Air Filter-dcao0231.jpg   Cabin Air Filter-dcao0232.jpg   Cabin Air Filter-dcao0233.jpg   Cabin Air Filter-dcao0237.jpg  
Old Feb 15, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Edit: Dumb question.

Last edited by conphuzed; Feb 15, 2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone ever received a CEL after installing this filter?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not to insult you, but are you serious?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Noodle,
Thanks for a great post! It's taken me forever to do this but I did it today! It was easy and works like a charm! There is no need to buy the Mitsu filter which was quoted to me at a price of $86 for the "kit" which is just the filter and screws. I just put black "DUCK" brand tape over the face after installing the filter at is look just fine. GOOD BYE DUST and EXHAUST SMELLS!
Old Dec 28, 2006, 03:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a head's up guys. Mitsubishi has consolidated their filters to part# mr398288. I just installed one in my '03 Evolution. Good news is that this new filter is made of a charcoal impregnated and much finer filter element.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Just a head's up guys. Mitsubishi has consolidated their filters to part# mr398288. I just installed one in my '03 Evolution. Good news is that this new filter is made of a charcoal impregnated and much finer filter element.
Does the new filter has a separate filter element? I mean, can we replace the filter element only or the element and frame is one piece?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure you could but the new part is very nice and only runs about $25 anyways.

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter