Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Somewhat of an HKS RS intake installation

Old Dec 26, 2004, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhat of an HKS RS intake installation

ok, now after reading several different threads on evom me and my friend sucessfully installed an HKS RS intake on my car... but not in the time it said... would of been easier if my gf asked the guy for the american instructions for the HKS... anyways here we go.

things to have, extra zip tie, mostly 10mm bolts, so a 10 mm wrench and socket wrench, also a flat head screw driver and a philips head. ( thats all we used )... if you plan on doing this late at night like we did ( around 12 ) make sure you have some coffee.

STOCK INTAKE REMOVAL:

1) first you wanan remove the stock ram air, which is held in by 2 pop rivets, right when you open the hood you'll see them, we used an ice pick type thing and just LIGHTLY pushed in the center and those poped out,.

2) next you want to take off the 4 silver clamps holding down the top half of the air box, once you do that just lift the ram air and the top half, it should come out with NO problem...

3) then your want to unscrew these 2-3 10mm bolts that hold the lower half of the box in there... before pulling that out you have to remove 2 things... 1) the sensor thats connected to the MAF unit, that is on the frotn of the box and very easy to take out, 2) you want to remove the clamp that holds the box to the intake tube ( sorry for my lack of better words )

now this is the part that made this a 3ish hour install...

4) once you remove that you will see that you have to disconnect hoses attatched to the intake tube unit, theres the BOV tube, ( which is the biggest one ), then theres a vacum hose and another smaller hose ( those of which are on the bottom of the intake tube, if you can reach around and take them out before you remove the intake tube from the turbo then do so, but if not its fine.. just remember you have to remove those before you entirely pull it out.

5) now heres the hardest part... trying to disconnect the intake pipe to the turbo, this is done by disconnecting the clamp that holds it on.... when reading several directions they said you have to feel around for the screw to unscrew the clamp... well thats true, but if you have big hands and arms like me it REALLY is a tight fit.. ( this entire process took an hour ) the easiest way to get it out is if you have a mini philips screw driver, the entire screwdriver is no longer then 3", this just simpliy sits in the palm of your hand...

when reaching around to feel for the clamp, we found it easiest to take off the heat sheild of the exhuast, and fit our arm betweeen the headers, and the fan ( you really have to push down in there ) but once its down there you can feel around with your pinky and line up the driver, and you have to figure your own way to turn it...i'd be here all day explaining how i turned it..... oh btw i found out if you have a lot of tools useing a flexible driver or a socket piece that would work out fine...

once thats loosened just remove the entire unit, make sure those hoses were removed on the bottom then pull it out.

***don't forget to move the MAF unit from the stock filter, its held in by 4 bolts.. very simple ****

HKS RS INTAKE INSTALL:

this is pretty much the same process but backwards, and there are some parts i'm still not done with atleast to the " hks install instructions "

1) theres a small purple silicone hose that goes around the turbo inlet side, put that on there then put the turbo on through the other side... dont' foget to already to put your clamps on it by then or your just gonna be in a world of hurt.

tighten those bolts to tighten the clamp and your good... thsi is easier since i had a 1 foot screw driver and could just put the clamp the way I want it.... ( make sure the intake pipe is ALL the way on )

once thats on feel around and connect all the hoses.. theres a nother small clamp to use to hold the bov, ( top and bottom ) you may have to remove the one from the stock intake all depending on if you have all the clamps.

once thats on proceed to the next step....

3) connect your filter to the rectagular bracket that comes with the intake ( rectangular base, attatchd to a circular top ), clamp those on and your a few steps away.

when we installed the intake and such, we installed the filter last, but if you didn't have the problem we had you should be fine.... ( problem being we didnt' push the intake pipe all the way on, on the turbo inlet... )

once you have everything bolted in there is this black Y bracket... we didnt' use it cuase i coudlnt' figure out WHERE it went or how it worked, but my buddy who has an hks is coming over today to help... if anyone wants to put some info on this thread on how that works that would be great.

From here we just made sure all the clamps were tight, made sur there were good fits and connections, then jsut turn your car on and let it idle for 10-15 mins.. then enjoy the new intake....

This is a very nice intake, althoguh it is louder then what i expected its fine, i guess its the price you pay... and your stock BOV is most definitly audible.

sorry if some of the instructions were not making much sense, but i was doing that install until 5 am and well lets just say i'm really tired.... anyways i wish i could of had some pics, but i do not have a digitial camera...

well good luck hope you have a quicker install then i did

Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:24 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a good description like that..
Who NEEDS pics..

Discuss thread here