Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been sanding for the past couple of days and 180grit isn't even taking all the clear off! What should I do? I live in Alabama and the only people who know about carbon fiber here are the ones who read about it in Super Street magazine. Most people have never heard about/seen it, much less have ever worked with the material. I just wanna get it prepped for the clear so I can take it to a body shop then. Any suggestions on what grit I need to try?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when mistu replaces the wing do you have to give them the damaged original or do they just give you another wing? id like to keep my 8 wing but if i can get a free 9 wing why not take advantage of it lol
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to say that I had to go down to 80 grit to get all the clear off mine
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

i spent about 2-3 hours with a power hand sander and 220 grit sandpaper (changing it often) then finished prepping quickly with 2000 grit. what a job! for anyone who is worried about hurting the carbon fiber, you can definately see the difference between the existing clear and the bare carbon fiber. all thats left is fresh clearcoat!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

there is a recall on this fading wing problem? or a TSB on it? recall i can take it in for fix regardless if i still have warranty but TSB i need to be under warranty to not pay for the fix..
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by bigben
I've been sanding for the past couple of days and 180grit isn't even taking all the clear off! What should I do? I live in Alabama and the only people who know about carbon fiber here are the ones who read about it in Super Street magazine. Most people have never heard about/seen it, much less have ever worked with the material. I just wanna get it prepped for the clear so I can take it to a body shop then. Any suggestions on what grit I need to try?
Patience and constantly dipping it in water? I wouldn't go any higher
Old May 20, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I just started sanding away the old clear coat on my VIII wing, but I'm not sure if I'm sanding away the clear coat or the actual CF. Can anyone help me out please?

What I have right now:

The under-side, which I haven't touched yet:

What I had before I started sanding:

Old May 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

^^^ you got plenty more to sand off, you will know when all the clear is off because the entire surface of the wing will be a even flat color (carbon fiber) and none of it will be shiny or dull like that anymore, also when you get all the clear off when you touch the carbon it will stain easily from the oils in your hands, so make sure you clean it very well before spraying the clear again, keep sanding under you see the flate/ barely shiny carbon weave, right now you just scuffed up the clear pretty bad but its not completly off, it takes alot of sanding, i used a sanding machine to make it quicker. if you hav any questions just shott me a PM, i did this 3 times already for diffrent cars
Old May 20, 2009, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

i just looked at your pics again, see the first pic u posted, the corners (dull places) you got the clear off, all the other parts in the middle you need to sand until all match that dull look in the left corner of the pic
Old May 20, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Wow egy, thanks for the less-than-10-minute-wait-time! Really appreciate it.
Old May 20, 2009, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Raptord
Wow egy, thanks for the less-than-10-minute-wait-time! Really appreciate it.
no problem, i remember how annoying it was to wait for people to help me out when i was doing this, just dont sand those corners too much so you dont get into the carbon, also wat type of clear are u using? please dont say the stuff you buy at dicount or pepboys because its complete GARBAGE
Old May 20, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

The wing is getting more and more whitish as I keep sanding, are you sure I'm not eating into the CF? Sorry if I sound annoying :S

For the clear coat, I got some Pro form 1k acrylic clearcoat
Old May 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Raptord
The wing is getting more and more whitish as I keep sanding, are you sure I'm not eating into the CF? Sorry if I sound annoying :S

For the clear coat, I got some Pro form 1k acrylic clearcoat
when you eat into the carbon fiber BLACK STUFF will come off the wing, with min i kept sanding until the ENTIRE wing was even color like the corners of your wing, it was dull and when you touched it you can see the oils from your fingers on it, TONS OF WHITE STUFF WILL COME OFF, THAT IS THE CLEAR COAT, IT IS THICK. if you dont belive me, just stop by your closest body shop and ask them and see what they say
Old May 20, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

i took my wing to a body shop recently to redue my carbon fiber wing...and it has the same yellow that u see in your pictures ^^^. And they have sanded it down and told me if they clear coated it, the yellow and fading was going to remain on the spoiler?!?!

So i've come here for help
Old May 20, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

anybody got a picture of what it looks like completely sanded down to the carbon fiber?

Quick Reply: Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings