Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm posting a couple more pics, because I've had some black powder come off the wing already, and It's still getting more white/yellow-ish, which is making me nervous no matter how much you reassure me egy :S

Old May 20, 2009, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah you def went through the carbon fiber.
Old May 20, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Great; so, what's next?
Old May 20, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  100_0527-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  274.0 KB

OUCH!
Old May 20, 2009, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Paint it the same color as the car or buy a new wing.

From the looks of it the carbon fiber is only a small layer on top of fiberglass.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

he did not go through the carbon, you see how the edges you can see a faded carbon fiber patttern, THATS what the ENTIRE wing needs to look like, for him to go through the carbon fiber it would take HOURS APON HOURS to get through and he would burn so much sand paper, the edge of the spoiler where its faded carbon is what it looks like before clear coat, all the other stuff on the wing is clear coat, u know what, sand that little piece that is close to that corner and see that after sanding it will match the corner with no clear on it,
Old May 20, 2009, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

this is what a piece of dry carbon looks like with no CLEAR coat, the entire wing has to look like that before it can be re-Cleared

Old May 20, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm doing this.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by egydude15
for him to go through the carbon fiber it would take HOURS APON HOURS to get through and he would burn so much sand paper
Wrong and wrong; this took about 20 minutes and I'm still on my original sheet of sandpaper:

u know what, sand that little piece that is close to that corner and see that after sanding it will match the corner with no clear on it,
Wrong, see pics above.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

he did not go through the carbon, you see how the edges you can see a faded carbon fiber patttern, THATS what the ENTIRE wing needs to look like, for him to go through the carbon fiber it would take HOURS APON HOURS to get through and he would burn so much sand paper, the edge of the spoiler where its faded carbon is what it looks like before clear coat, all the other stuff on the wing is clear coat, u know what, sand that little piece that is close to that corner and see that after sanding it will match the corner with no clear on it,
I know you're trying to help but you should stop, you don't understand the concept of a carbon fiber top layer on a fiberglass base. From the pictures shown it looks like the only area with a little clearcoat left is the outside areas of the wing.

The reason these wings look like **** is because the incredibly thin clearcoat eventually wears off so common sense would tell you that it definitely won't take long before you sand through the clear, then the C/F.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tvieira24
I know you're trying to help but you should stop, you don't understand the concept of a carbon fiber top layer on a fiberglass base. From the pictures shown it looks like the only area with a little clearcoat left is the outside areas of the wing.

The reason these wings look like **** is because the incredibly thin clearcoat eventually wears off so common sense would tell you that it definitely won't take long before you sand through the clear, then the C/F.
telling me im wrong, i did that 3 different times and never had a problem, i cant see what he did, i did 3 evo 8 wings and NEVER had a problem with any of them, i cant be held responsible for what anyone does to their stuff, i told him sand until all of the spoiler is even dull carbon look, and then you re clear it, he sanded throug the entire carbon thats not my fault, and what grit of sand paper is he using? i used the 2000 grit and it took for ever to do it but thats why i did not have that problem
Old May 21, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

I also wonder what grit he was using. 60?! I started with 1500 and worked my way down to 800.

My clear was flaking pretty badly, like I see in most of these Before photos. I found that it was actually easier to just take a straight razor and scrap/chip away the clear instead of sanding it. In the process, I made a few dings/scratches in the epoxy layer, which I used the sandpaper to smooth out. Someone asked for photos of what it looks like with no clear coat and I'll post some soon, since I haven't re-sprayed it yet. Basically, it looks like a new wing if it's wet... if it's dry, it is more dull and drab.

For the next guy who tries it: if you see even a tiny sign of black dust, STOP! That's CF. Clear coat is clear (or yellowish), not black.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I dont think that spoiler is a factory piece. I did this with no problems
Old May 21, 2009, 08:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I dont think that spoiler is a factory piece. I did this with no problems
seriously, cause i did this THREE times and never had a problem, the wings came out great, in order to sand so much that the wing turns white idk what on earth you would have to do, i used 2000 grit and worked my way down, even sanded some of the carbon just to smooth it out then used asytone to clean it before the clear coat and it came out perfect,
Old May 21, 2009, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor

I remember someone mentioning the IX wing wasn't full carbon fiber and only fiberglass with a carbon fiber top layer opposed to the 8's with the full carbon fiber wing which would make sense if that turned white so easily.

Quick Reply: Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings