Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Turbo timer problems?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo timer problems?

I had to disconnect my battery last night so I could wire in my wide band. When I reconnected my battey my turbo timer is constantly adding time, before it was only if you were above 3k. While stopped at a light or just at idle, your time would count down to your defaulted time (mine was set for 30 sec). Now it dosnt count down until you shut the ignition off. I have looked through the greddy manual on line, and don't see any thing about how to get the unit back into set up mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by howell; May 18, 2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Any help?
Old May 17, 2010, 06:41 PM

What turbo timer do you have?
Old May 18, 2010, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

It is a greddy, I made some progress last night, I got t into the voltage mode, and time attack mode.. Only had about 5 min t work on it though
Old May 18, 2010, 07:55 AM

There are two setting for the auto timer. One is more aggressive than the other and ramps the time up faster.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SkipDMan
There are two setting for the auto timer. One is more aggressive than the other and ramps the time up faster.
I am framiliar with the high and low settings, on high any time you are above 2k rpm it will add cool down time to your preset time. This is not the case, the time continues to count even when the car is at idle.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm also having issues with my turbo timer. I tried following the instructions online and can't seem to get it to go into any settings mode.. Am I missing something? I tried holding all three buttons down, but nothing.
Sorry to thread jack.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazzelby
I'm also having issues with my turbo timer. I tried following the instructions online and can't seem to get it to go into any settings mode.. Am I missing something? I tried holding all three buttons down, but nothing.
Sorry to thread jack.
Make sure your ebrake is set, your in neutral, and I think you need to have the car not running.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Check, check and check.. I think I need to check how it's hooked up too. I don't think the last owner connected the RPM wire either. It doesn't add any time to the timer no matter how lively I drive it.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

How strange. Sorry you are having problems. But in my honest opinion, just get rid of it. Why do you even need a turbo timer in an Evo?
Old May 19, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoninVIIIRS
How strange. Sorry you are having problems. But in my honest opinion, just get rid of it. Why do you even need a turbo timer in an Evo?
Because its a turbo charged vehicle... I would put one on any turbo car I planned on driving a little spirited. why would the evo be any different? Just trying to understand your reasoning.
Old May 20, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Check, check and check.. I think I need to check how it's hooked up too. I don't think the last owner connected the RPM wire either. It doesn't add any time to the timer no matter how lively I drive it.
When it comes on does it say p1,p2,h,or L. P1 and p2 are just a set amount of time. H and L are the auto times that will calculat your required cool down times. Low setting will calculate based off of the time you go over 3k rpm. The high setting will do the same, but based on rpm's above 2k.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

I have it set to H with an additional 10 seconds but it doesn't ever seem to add more than the 10 seconds. I also verified that it is reading the RPM's correctly per the online manual. Strange.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Because its a turbo charged vehicle... I would put one on any turbo car I planned on driving a little spirited. why would the evo be any different? Just trying to understand your reasoning.
The reasoning is simple. Our turbo has a coolant line running to it which is water cooled. Turbo timers are really made for oil cooled only turbos where the fear of cooking/caking of the oil will become a problem for the turbo. I do let my turbo cool down and idle a few minutes after some hard 20 to 30 minute sesssions at HPDE's/trackdays. But other than that type of abuse, it's a waste of your time and money to get one for using it from street driving. Spend it on something more useful.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Mine came with my car, and if I have it, I want it to work. I still like to let the engine idle for a few after driving it. I just simply feel more comfortable letting every thing cool down.