Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Changing the Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the Intercooler

Just was wondering how hard it is to change the intercooler, and what is all involved with it.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
It's not hard at all, u need to take the bumper off of course, hopefully u don't have the undertray b/c those clips are a PITA....u don't need much to use...

what fmic u went w/?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Getting the bumper to line back up is a huge PITA, But thats because I went with the ETS 4" and i'm **** about bumper fitment
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:01 PM

Depending on your intercooler size the difficulty could raise. I'd say anything over 3.5" starts to get hard to fit (trimming of bumper may be required).
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Helpful piece of advise use painter's tape on the fender and bumper edges, black marker to mark the original position on the tape to help realign and also the tape helps prevent any unnecessary scratches to the edges. Other than that it should be fairly simple like stated above
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:30 PM

Ya I didnt think it looked very difficult by looking at different pictures on the forum. The only reason I am changing it is because I purchased an 03 evo with 9000 miles on it that has 900 HP. Car was blown up after less than 100 miles from the new build by previous owner, it has an oversized intercooler in it now and I am real particular about the way things fit and the front bumper was shimmed out to clear it. I am just going to put a Mishimoto stock size back in it. The car is at AMS and they are putting it back to stock for me and just noticed on my estimate they are billing me for 2.5 hours of labor. Seems kind of hghi to me since the car is already all tore apart to put it back to stock.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

You can part out the goodies to help suffice for the shop labor costs
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

^assuming this engine is built, why would you go back to stock?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:16 PM

Ya that is my plans is to sell all the extra parts on here in a couple of weeks when I get everything back, there are ALOT of new big dollar items on the car. I had to buy a new engine and pretty much all the stock parts back so I am hoping when I get all done it will be pretty much a wash. That is also why I am changing the FMIC back to stock to get the big aftermarket one out of there. Thanks again
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
^assuming this engine is built, why would you go back to stock?
Changing it all back to stock because it is for my son who is about to turn 16. I know its alot for his 1st car but this is what he has always wanted, but I am gonna have AMS turn the boost way down when the tune it to keep him safe.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jus did this task today... it was a sinch man... less than an hour from bumper off to on... and it doesnt take more than a couple of tools to do it aswell... i swapped from stock to a 3.5core so no adjustments were needed on my front bumper... however the plastic clip on the driver side corner (by wheel well) did break off =\ so becareful when taking off ur bumper... now it droops a bit by the light but i gota clip that i will maguiver in the morning...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Its actually not that bad at all. Just one piece of advice for you though... you may consider leaving the under tray off in case of future mods, or just having to adjust the Intercooler pipes.haven't had my under tray on for over 5 years and have experienced no ill effects.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks guys for all the great advise, cant wait to get the car home to get it done for my son. I will be sure to post pics when we get done.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:53 PM

turning the boost down wont slow him down he will accelerate slower........ speed limiter is your friend!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by suprastar
turning the boost down wont slow him down he will accelerate slower........ speed limiter is your friend!
Thanks I will have to ask AMS about that, I was hoping there was a way to just unhook the turbo but I know that is not a possiblity. I trust he will do a good job because he knows if he screws up 1 time it will be patked.

Quick Reply: Changing the Intercooler