Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to assemble the rear diff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
false, performance is not the same. TRE has more lock up from plates and is a 1.5 way, as opposed to 1 way oem unit. result is more access to oversteer under accel and decel
I think he was asking about TRE's 12 plate vs Weir's 12 plate, in which, should be the same in performance. In the end, 12 plates will be 1.5 way.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
I think he was asking about TRE's 12 plate vs Weir's 12 plate, in which, should be the same in performance. In the end, 12 plates will be 1.5 way.
ooh my mistake

are you sure about that btw? i'm no diff expert, but from wiki lol:

The spider gears mount on the pinion cross shaft which rests in angled cutouts forming cammed ramps. The cammed ramps are not necessarily symmetrical. If the ramps are symmetrical, the LSD is 2 way. If they are saw toothed (i.e. one side of the ramp is vertical), the LSD is 1 way. If both sides are sloped, but are asymmetric, the LSD is 1.5 way.

(this is about clutch type lsds btw)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited...rential#Clutch Type LSD

I don't think it's necessarily just that more plates are stuffed in there, there's gotta be some set up with the plates and preloads, or the actual plates themselves etc

Last edited by kyoo; Jul 10, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to ask the same question I did in the other diy thread. What does TRE do that makes the diff 1.5 way?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just going to take a guess and say that I call it a 1.5 way because it acts as a 1.5 way LSD. The spider gears themselves, I don't know if it's saw toothed or symmetric. Here's a pic of the spider gears when the diff was still un-assembled. You can try to figure it out but right now, I know my wheels lock up on accel and decel and I'm happy with it.
Name:  973111618_photobucket_21231_.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.1 KB
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:42 AM

Very good write up.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just installed my Weir Performance Maxgrip LSD kit yesterday. Big thanks to piro fyre and thoe99 for very informative write ups and pms concerning certain sticky phases of the removal and rebuild. Definitely should do this with a buddy or two. It makes it a lot easier particularly with axle removal and reinstall, and placement of diff to line bolt holes up, along with a jack. I did a few test donuts in the parking lot was impressed with how the rear would kick out at the onset of boost. I'll post up a review following my next autox event.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by son of krypton
Just installed my Weir Performance Maxgrip LSD kit yesterday. Big thanks to piro fyre and thoe99 for very informative write ups and pms concerning certain sticky phases of the removal and rebuild. Definitely should do this with a buddy or two. It makes it a lot easier particularly with axle removal and reinstall, and placement of diff to line bolt holes up, along with a jack. I did a few test donuts in the parking lot was impressed with how the rear would kick out at the onset of boost. I'll post up a review following my next autox event.
No problem. Their kit is a 12-plate, right? So it does kick out with the onset of boost as well, no less. Let me know if you get lockup (rotation) on deceleration too.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thoe99
No problem. Their kit is a 12-plate, right? So it does kick out with the onset of boost as well, no less. Let me know if you get lockup (rotation) on deceleration too.
Yes, it's a 12 plate kit. I don't notice anything during deceleration. I reused the oem spring plates and made sure to put back everything in the exact position, especially the side bearings and spacers. How would lockup feel during deceleration? I did an initial test in a parking lot doing figure 8's with tight turning. In first gear, I mashed the pedal and the rear diff "locked up" as the rear wheels started to spin and rear end started pushing out. It was so fun!

I can't wait to test in out, especially on showcase type turns in autox. Instead of tripodding and fighting or waiting out understeer, I'll push the gas pedal more to rotate the rear around.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Enjoying those tire squeaking while turning left and right? I can already see you're loving how the rear slides around. Oh and don't forget to call up Spence Weir and tell him about your experience. He's always curious on how well the 12 plates are working for others. He doesn't sell much and if he did, he doesn't hear back from them.

As for locking on decel, I feel it but I can't test things out at auto-x just yet until I fix some broken things on the car. I don't know how hard it'll lock while cornering but it does lock up if I don't give it gas.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm assuming that lockup on deceleration would make your turn in a bit squirrelly. You'll oversteer on turn-in. It could be a good thing on sweepers, it could be a bad thing on slaloms. I'm curious how the 12 plate will act. Keep that in mind next time you autocross.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome write-up!

Aaron
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm assuming that lockup on deceleration would make your turn in a bit squirrelly. You'll oversteer on turn-in. It could be a good thing on sweepers, it could be a bad thing on slaloms. I'm curious how the 12 plate will act. Keep that in mind next time you autocross.
fyi i didn't experience any of that with my 1.5 way - it takes a lot to actually get the car's rear end to come out, quick changes didn't upset the car at all.. still a normal 4wd car - i haven't even seen that many rwd cars get squirrely in slaloms
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Think of 12 plates as your 8 plate mod. It locks but doesn't lock soon enough or doesn't lock hard enough. A 12 plate is more friction surfaces so that it'll lock up harder and lock up faster but still keeping it street drivable and having a little slip.

Weir is currently developing a 16 plate so that it'll just stay locked all the time, like a 2 way.
Cusco has a 28 plate LSD, which is why it locks up really fast and really hard.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

I just finished the install but unfortunately it is pouring outside. The rear diff took me 45 minutes to remove from the vehicle by myself and about 30 minutes to reinstall it. The hardest part about the install was torquing down the ring gear on my flimsy work bench and small vice as it kept wanting to rotate. Also to note that is you are just rearranging the plates it isn't necessary to use c-clips to screw back together both sides of the housing. I also got lucky when installing the diff back into the housing as it lined up perfect the first time. All in all it was a fairly easy project but it is time consuming. I do have an autox coming up sunday and will report back then.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

As I understand, this is just an OEM rebuild? I would still check backlash if I was you guys doing this; never know if you accidentally dropped a shim somewhere.

Quick Reply: How to assemble the rear diff