Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to assemble the rear diff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormin Norman
I like to be ****, plus it only takes about 10 seconds to check runout and backlash... If you needed new shims then it would take a little more time, but you get the point

Depending on how far out of tolerance your backlash is, it could take awhile to trash your pinion gear, if you happened to be out of tolerance, of course.
I rebuilt mine with help from my friend who used to work at Ralliart, even though everything went back in that came out the backlash was out and we had to adjust the backlash by re-shimming. He told me that its not that common and theres no explanation for why but its worth checking.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:07 AM

Great write up. Everyone... Thanks for the input. Respect.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

rear diff spool gear

Originally Posted by AnabolicEVO
Great write up. Everyone... Thanks for the input. Respect.
hopethis can get answered here so futer questioners wouldn't have to look to hard .when installing a spool gear in the rear diff ,would the clutches and plated still b Needed?,
for those who dont know a spool gear basically replace the inside diff itself .
Old Apr 24, 2015, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The installation instructions say to use a non-synthetic gear oil only. Are most of the people who installed these plate using a synthetic gear oil like AMSoil SVG?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just use Diaqueen in it still.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
quick question. Before I removed the drive gear from the diff case I did not mark how it was connected to the diff case. ( attached Pic from manual that tells you to do it )

Looking at the drive gear, Everything looks symmetric, and Im starting to think its not that important to keep it connected exactly the same way as from factory. What do you guys think. I have 2005 evo 8 GSR. When you took your out, did you mark it and reinstall it same way ?

I just made sure that marking on Diff Case match before the reinstalling them.

Old Jun 22, 2016, 08:18 AM

Good write up.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bringing this thread back 4 years later. Can anyone confirm if the drive gear HAS to be lined up? There are no mating marks on the drive gear. Do you have to make your own first before removing or does it matter if it is put back rotated a little differently? As the poster said, it seems symmetrical.

Originally Posted by letMeIn
quick question. Before I removed the drive gear from the diff case I did not mark how it was connected to the diff case. ( attached Pic from manual that tells you to do it )

Looking at the drive gear, Everything looks symmetric, and Im starting to think its not that important to keep it connected exactly the same way as from factory. What do you guys think. I have 2005 evo 8 GSR. When you took your out, did you mark it and reinstall it same way ?

I just made sure that marking on Diff Case match before the reinstalling them.

Old Feb 26, 2023, 03:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC-AWD
Bringing this thread back 4 years later. Can anyone confirm if the drive gear HAS to be lined up? There are no mating marks on the drive gear. Do you have to make your own first before removing or does it matter if it is put back rotated a little differently? As the poster said, it seems symmetrical.

Bump, I have the same question since I forgot to mark my ring gear before taking it off the diff. It looks 100% symmetrical other than the F 423 marking on the ring gear
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdabish
Bump, I have the same question since I forgot to mark my ring gear before taking it off the diff. It looks 100% symmetrical other than the F 423 marking on the ring gear
There are machining tolerances on the shoulder of the ring gear, and on the PCD of the drilled mounting holes, which can cause it to run out by up to 0.003 inches. The idea of marking the original position is so you can replace the ring gear without changing its original run out, and thus saving the ring gear's teeth from any additional wear if it's reassembled in a different position with different run out.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man a real revival thread. I completely tore ,t diff apart for sandblasting and cerakoting. I’m having a hard time with the drive pinion gear setup. If I torque it to the factory 137, the companion shafT doesn’t spin freely. I know most people don’t go this far with this mod but I would love some guidance from anyone in the know. Thanks !