Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DIY plywood front splitter for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i mean it would probably be better than nothing, but depends on the rear wing. im having trouble still finding a balance with a 5 inch splitter and kognition wing, seems like im constantly backing off the wing. might be selling all the parts off now anyway but.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
So, splitters work at autox speeds? I never really gave it much thought, to tell the truth.
Yes, very much so. With the car as shown in the picture (stock wing with a big front splitter) it was very tail happy. So much so that I couldn't get that set-up to work very well. I built a big wing for it after, which completely changed the feel again. Initially, the wing made the car understeer badly but I have since got it pretty balanced.

Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PAdutch
Yes, very much so. With the car as shown in the picture (stock wing with a big front splitter) it was very tail happy. So much so that I couldn't get that set-up to work very well. I built a big wing for it after, which completely changed the feel again. Initially, the wing made the car understeer badly but I have since got it pretty balanced.

Just curious, but what's the suspension set up? rear diff, sways?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Just curious, but what's the suspension set up? rear diff, sways?
Rear dif - restacked sock
Suspension -
BC ER coilovers - 14k Rear , 10k front
FSB - whiteline 26mm
RSB - 25mm I forget the brand
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:59 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i mean it would probably be better than nothing, but depends on the rear wing. im having trouble still finding a balance with a 5 inch splitter and kognition wing, seems like im constantly backing off the wing. might be selling all the parts off now anyway but.
I was looking at the same setup. I was shopping a Kognition wing online so started building my splitter, just in case.
I just want a bit of help so I don't feel like I'm going to fly off high-speed sweepes LOL
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I was looking at the same setup. I was shopping a Kognition wing online so started building my splitter, just in case.
I just want a bit of help so I don't feel like I'm going to fly off high-speed sweepes LOL
My only reference is autox so take it for what its worth. I wouldn't want to road race with a splitter only, it made the rear end very unstable. This would only increase with speed as the force on the splitter increases with velocity.

At this point I want to see if I can build some effective canards to increase front end grip as the wing easily overpowers the splitter and I too find myself backing off the wing for balance.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 05:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by PAdutch
My only reference is autox so take it for what its worth. I wouldn't want to road race with a splitter only, it made the rear end very unstable. This would only increase with speed as the force on the splitter increases with velocity..
Absolutely, which is why I said I started building a splitter only after I started shopping wings.
I think a splitter only could be a benefit to autox guys, though. Depending on the rest of their setup and it's limitations, of course.